Menu

prioritizing subjects

mo2

Can you list the subjects you do, in order of priority? I'm trying to restructure our school for next year, maybe moving to a LCC approach (perhaps with the loop scheduling I've been hearing about).

Thanks.

For my already reading kids:

1. Bible

2. Math, Grammar and Writing (a 3-way tie)

That's our core and primary focus. After that:

3. Lots of reading

4. Latin

5. Science and History

6. Electives and extracurricular -- including music, speech/debate, sports, art.

For an emerging reader, it would be:

1. Bible

2. Reading and Math

3. Narration, Read-alouds and Handwriting

4. Extras -- music, art, sports

HTH,

Lisa

The overarching priorities in our homeschool are math & clear analytical writing skills. Which subjects then receive priority is dependent on the age/stage at the time.

For my oldest, her subjects in priority order would be:

01. Math

02. Composition

03. Latin

04. Logic

05. Reading/Literature

06. "The rest" of Language Arts - poetry, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, etc.

07. Science

08. History

09. Fine Arts

For my middle guy, his subjects in priority order would be:

01. Math

02. Handwriting

03. Phonics

04. Literature

05. Basic Composition - copywork, narration

06. Grammar & Spelling

07. History

08. Science

09. Fine Arts

For my science nut, who has been 2 years ahead in science since he was 4, science is the one we focus on the least - he gets that in his fun reading. We still have a textbook, but I don't fret if he's falling behind. He can catch up in a day. His writing is fantastic, he has assignments but I only look at them like once a month.

For my daughter whose spelling is three grade levels below normal, we focus on reading and comprehension. (Not spelling as that just discourages her.) The more she's read, the better her spelling has become.

Etc. etc.

Things I frequently check to make sure they are on par with, these they must know inside and out before we go on:

Math

Language Arts - reading, spelling, comprehension,

Science

Additional things we cover thoroughly, but I don't quiz them on so deeply:

History

Foreign Language (German)

Character (all the time) including Bible

Health

Other things we present, but we don't go into much detail, they can follow up on it more if it interests them beyond the basics we cover:

Art

Specific Literature topics

Sports

Computer

Music

We follow an LCC approach with keeping Latin, English, and Math as our core subjects.

Our schedule deviates from LCC this year and here's our schedule.

Read-alouds start our day. It's a good transition to start

Memory work

Latin

English

Math

(all of these are done 5x/wk) If our day falls apart after this at least the core stuff is completed (we've had our share of those kind of days).

Also scheduled all year:

Japanese (2x/wk)

PE (2x/wk)

Literature (3x/wk)

This year we're rotating the following subjects on a semester type schedule.

1st semester/2nd semester

Asian Studies/Earth Science (4x/wk)

Logic/Religion (2x/week)

Art/Music (1x/wk)

We're deviating from LCC is scheduling the alternate subjects and honestly I'm not sure how it will play out. We usually tweak the schedule after the first month or so.

until fluently reading

1. reading and math (tie)

Frankly, everything else is extra at this stage.

after reading fluently k-6

1. math

2. violin and poetry (tie)

3. LA including reading

4. art, history, and science (tie)

5. foreign language

In a day-

If we only get to 1 and 2, the day certainly isn't a loss.

If we get to 1, 2, and 3, we've hit everything that needs to be covered.

If we do 1, 2, 3, and then hit one of the topics listed in 4, life is good.

If we do 1, 2, 3, hit one of the topics listed in 4, and complete 5, then it is the poster child for the ideal school day.

I need to print this out and hang it on the wall. When I am frustrated or feeling like we aren't doing enough, I need to stand in front of it and read it aloud 3x.

HTH-

Mandy

We are an LCC-ish family. The end of our 2nd grade year on a semi-loop schedule looked like this:

1st priority subjects (done every day, no exceptions): Recitation, Latin, Math, Piano, History done via Read Alouds

2nd priority subjects (got done every 1-2 days on one 45 minute loop): Shurley English, French, Handwriting, Webster's Speller, SRA Phonics workbook

3rd priority subjects (got done every 2-3 days on a second 40 min loop): Science, Math Logic, Geography, Logic, Syllabary, Drawing

Until Fluently reading, reading is the priority. After that, it is math and writing.

Once the basics are firm - long division in math, Little Women in reading, solid paragraphs in writing - then a foreign language is added as a priority along with an instrument.

Art, science and history are loved subjects for us even outside of school so that means that they will get done even if they don't get priority status. I am happy to keep these relaxed until later in middle school or even high school. They are happily covered by doing and reading and living.

Math

Spelling

English Grammar

Latin

US Geography

History

Literature

Reading is also a big priority but I don't teach it as a subject. I just make sure the kids are reading and I make sure they have plenty of books available. The list of subjects above is for my 7th graders. My 4th grader isn't doing history or literature. My 2nd grader's list would be as follows: Phonics, math, reading practice.

Susan in TX

4yo

Bible

Reading

6 and 9 yo

Bible

Reading/Writing (handwriting, copywork, creative writing)/Spelling-dictation

Arithmetic

history/science at this point is books, life, what interests them

11 and 13 yo

Bible

LA assignments

Creative Writing assignments

Math

Spelling/Vocab.

History

Science

Lee, homeschooling 5 kiddos (age 13-4) and 1 baby/toddler

Can you list the subjects you do, in order of priority? I'm trying to restructure our school for next year, maybe moving to a LCC approach (perhaps with the loop scheduling I've been hearing about).

Thanks.

1. Bible

2. Math

3. English (Grammar/Writing)

4. Spanish (my husband is Guatemalan, and they have extended family members who speak little to no English, or this would be a lower priority)

5. Science

6. History/Geography

7. English Reading/Literature (This is a higher priority during the learn-to-read stage, but all of mine are reading fluently now, and read in their free time quite a bit, so it is a lower priority.)

8. Fine Arts (as time permits)

In difficult circumstances (illness, moving, etc) I make sure to finish math and Bible, and get to as many of the others as possible, in the order above, though sometimes I will fit in a lower priority class that can be done with no input from me.

My sons are in middle school - but we followed this as soon as they were both good readers:

Math

Language Arts

History

Science

If we finished all of that, we would move on to art or music, logic challenges, typing skills, etc (whatever extra we were working on at the time).

1) Bible

2) Language Arts

3) Math

4) History

5) Science

6) everything else (I start having them choose 1 or 2 things to study from a list of extra subjects - starting in later elementary. The list includes things like Latin, Greek, French, typing, and Logic)

Blessings,

Laura