Menu

Would you be concerned? (Warning: TMI Alert, Definitely Female Content)

I don't want to be an alarmist, but I don't want to be foolish, either.

I'm 38 and have had regular periods all my life. Not particularly heavy, although a bit more so now than when I was younger.

I had a normal period 3 weeks ago, right on schedule. I'm on the Pill, specifically Seasonique which means I only have periods once every three months. So...I'm not anywhere near my next one.

I started bleeding I think on Friday (may have been Thursday). Not a trickle, but like a normal period. Yesterday I started bleeding VERY heavily. I've only bled that much once before and it was in January. The Gynecologist told me to take double doses of the pill and it should stop within a few days. I did that and it stopped within 24 hours. I started double dosing on Friday, but it has gotten worse. As of today, I'm bleeding heavier than I did even after birthing my two children. I'm soaking an ULTRA tampon (not even Super or Super Plus) plus a pad 2 - 3 times an hour and have been since I woke up in a really disgusting manner (sorry...) at 5:30 this morning.

A couple of times today I felt like I was going to pass out and broke out in cold sweats. I do have some cramping, but it's mild.

My plan was to call the dr. in the morning. Both my friend and my mother says that this is way too much blood and I should call the on-call doc tonight, but I don't know what he could possibly do. I'm not dying so it's not like they'll send me to the ER or something. I just don't feel a doc call is necessary and I'd really rather just go to bed (tired tonight!), but I'd like other opinions.

FWIW, I did have some issues with bad paps late last year, so bad that they had to do cervical and uterine biopsies more than once, and I'm having to go back every 4 months. BUT, the results since then have all come back clear.

What would you do?

P.S. I'm sorry for the graphic commentary, but I really would appreciate some 3rd party opinions here. I think this is fairly common so I'm not worried, it just hasn't been common for me.

If you are soaking through tampons and pads 2-3 times per hour, I would go to the ER tonight. At the very least, call the on call doctor now so he can tell you to go to the ER. That sounds like hemorrhaging levels to me.

Either call the doctor or your insurance's nurse help line. That is way too much blood in such a short period of time especially with you taking the Pill. Personally, I would go to the ER NOW.

After one of my D&Cs, I started bleeding heavily. So much so that DH did take me to the ER. Back into surgery and they found that they hadn't removed all the tissue that needed to be removed. That bleeding would not have stopped on its own and I was thankful I went to the ER (and I am the type of person that doesn't go to the doctor unless I feel like I am dying).

I think you need to go to the ER if you can't talk to a Dr. NOW. That is too much bleeding, and you COULD be dying from blood loss and just not know it. Much better to be safe than sorry- GO, NOW.

:iagree:I think it's better to over react than to under react. Besides, that much blood sounds scary. At a very minimum I'd call a Dr., but the ER sounds like a better bet. Please go...I'll be praying for you.

Go call the dr. I had a miscarriage and passed out from this much blood loss. You may need a d&c. You sound like you are hemorrhaging. Keep us posted.

Praying for people coming along side you now to take care of your children and someone to take you to the ER. Don't delay!

I hope you're not here to read this now---- because you're at the ER------ but I'm chiming in with everyone else. GO TO THE ER NOW!! Nakia is right-- you're far surpassed the standard for urgent care.

Please update us when you can; we're all worried!

Sending good thoughts your way!

astrid

A friend of mine had this going on this past year. Several periods ended up like this to the point that she was going through products at an amazing rate, was having to buy clothing "wherever" (on way to work, etc). It was crazy. It worried me something awful but her gyn wasn't all THAT worried past checking for certain things.

My friend is a little older than you, but I wonder if it's not just part of changing. Nothing ever seemed to happen with my friend.

But I'd definitely talk to your doctor to be sure.

A friend of mine had this going on this past year. Several periods ended up like this to the point that she was going through products at an amazing rate, was having to buy clothing "wherever" (on way to work, etc). It was crazy. It worried me something awful but her gyn wasn't all THAT worried past checking for certain things. .

Ditto here. It started near the beginning of peri-menopause for me. He checked me out carefully and offered various options, none of which worked, and I eventually wound up with a hysterectomy. My doctor was responsive to my concerns, but I to try less invasive, easier routes first. I wish I would have done the hysterectomy sooner.

Sorry you're going through this--I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Edited by Pippen

Thanks so much to everyone for your concern.

I did call the doctor last night. It happened that my own gyn who I've been seeing for 12 years was the one on call. He was concerned but did not send me to the ER. He asked me a bunch of questions, had me take a fairly large dose of Advil (said that sometimes slows bleeding) and told me to stay hydrated. He called me back 2 hours later to see how I was. I was still bleeding heavily but it did seem to slow a bit which was good. I'll be going in as soon as I can get an appointment worked in this morning.

Again, thanks so much to everyone for responding so quickly last night.

Thanks so much to everyone for your concern.

I did call the doctor last night. It happened that my own gyn who I've been seeing for 12 years was the one on call. He was concerned but did not send me to the ER. He asked me a bunch of questions, had me take a fairly large dose of Advil (said that sometimes slows bleeding) and told me to stay hydrated. He called me back 2 hours later to see how I was. I was still bleeding heavily but it did seem to slow a bit which was good. I'll be going in as soon as I can get an appointment worked in this morning.

Again, thanks so much to everyone for responding so quickly last night.

Keep us updated :grouphug: I'm praying for you today!

My thought is if that much blood was coming out from any other part of your body, wouldn't you seek medical help? Getting light-headed is a sign you REALLY need to be taken care of asap.

Yes!! I've always wondered why it is that severe, sustained menstrual bleeding such as the OP describes seems to be always taken so lightly? I've got a tumor on my pituitary gland so I don't have periods anymore, but that much blood would freak me out.

Sending good thoughts, Qvalencia!

astrid

Yeah, I don't want to insult anyone's physician, but I cannot imagine that such severe bleeding, with symptoms such as dizziness and near fainting, can wait until morning. I'm pretty sure all the gyn docs I have worked with over the years would recommend immediate intervention. I hope the op is doing okay this morning.

The loving concern expressed by people on this board who don't even know me has me feeling extremely grateful and humbled. I see it here all the time and it never ceases to amaze me. You are a fantastic group of women!

For those of you who thought I was crazy for not seeing the doctor yesterday after bleeding so much I thought I was going to pass out....I understand!! It just so happened that the friend who nursed me yesterday when I couldn't drive home (I was at her house most of the day) has similar issues nearly every month. Her doctor has recommended endometrial ablation and prescribed iron tablets, but is never overly concerned. Maybe it's because I just wasn't feeling well but I really didn't think it was that bad or out of the ordinary until I read all of the consistent, immediate responses here.

At any rate, by the time I saw the doctor today (about 10:00 this morning) the bleeding had almost completely stopped. He did do an exam and an internal ultrasound but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. He also said that he understands why I was concerned, but that he sees that fairly frequently with his patients on that particular pill and was not concerned.

He said I could a) stay on that pill and just know that it may or may not happen again; b) go back to a monthly pill instead of the three month cycle; c) go off entirely, which he didn't recommend because I went back on to begin with because my periods were pretty heavy (although nothing like the ridiculousness of these past few days!). I decided option a) was entirely out of the question. I'll be switching back to a regular pill and, if anything even close to this ever happens again, we'll be looking into ablation (I don't want any more children).

So.....that's that.

And again, thanks to each of you who took the time to respond and to pray and to send happy thoughts my way. I so appreciate you! :grouphug:

The loving concern expressed by people on this board who don't even know me has me feeling extremely grateful and humbled. I see it here all the time and it never ceases to amaze me. You are a fantastic group of women!

For those of you who thought I was crazy for not seeing the doctor yesterday after bleeding so much I thought I was going to pass out....I understand!! It just so happened that the friend who nursed me yesterday when I couldn't drive home (I was at her house most of the day) has similar issues nearly every month. Her doctor has recommended endometrial ablation and prescribed iron tablets, but is never overly concerned. Maybe it's because I just wasn't feeling well but I really didn't think it was that bad or out of the ordinary until I read all of the consistent, immediate responses here.

At any rate, by the time I saw the doctor today (about 10:00 this morning) the bleeding had almost completely stopped. He did do an exam and an internal ultrasound but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. He also said that he understands why I was concerned, but that he sees that fairly frequently with his patients on that particular pill and was not concerned.

He said I could a) stay on that pill and just know that it may or may not happen again; b) go back to a monthly pill instead of the three month cycle; c) go off entirely, which he didn't recommend because I went back on to begin with because my periods were pretty heavy (although nothing like the ridiculousness of these past few days!). I decided option a) was entirely out of the question. I'll be switching back to a regular pill and, if anything even close to this ever happens again, we'll be looking into ablation (I don't want any more children).

So.....that's that.

And again, thanks to each of you who took the time to respond and to pray and to send happy thoughts my way. I so appreciate you! :grouphug:

I am so glad you updated. We were so worried!! I am going to talk to my doctor about an ablation when I go in September. It has changed one of my best friend's life. It sounds like a good option for you too. I think you should definitely take some iron on a regular basis. Take good care of yourself. :grouphug:

Thanks for updating, glad to know you are okay.

Oh, a tip for the exhaustion from loss of blood- when you take those iron tablets, eat something (with low/no calcium) and drink some orange juice- that's what got me back on my feet after two births that involved LOTS of blood loss. And keep drinking water.