Menu

Other than acceleration, how can I challenge my 6-year-old child?

My daughter is 6-1/2, and I'm trying to come up with some new ways to challenge her this fall.

I have considered working in other bases for math, but I'm not sure if we're quite ready for that.

For her other subjects I have thought about having her choose a few topics to do some independent study on throughout the year. She likes drawing pictures of animals and copying facts about them from books. I thought about using lapbooks for the independent study subjects.

I'm just wondering if anyone of you brilliant minds have some other good ideas that I might be missing. Right now we're just basically working though her curriculum, but I don't think she is really being challenged, even working a couple years ahead.

My DD is the same age. She'll be starting Latin grammar (still deciding on a curriculum), working on social skills, doing various critical thinking activities, and probably learning a musical instrument. We're hoping that this will give her just the right amount of challenge, and help her adjust to the growing realization that she does not, in fact, know everything. ;)

The independent study idea sounds good, too. :)

My DD is the same age. She'll be starting Latin grammar (still deciding on a curriculum), working on social skills, doing various critical thinking activities, and probably learning a musical instrument. We're hoping that this will give her just the right amount of challenge, and help her adjust to the growing realization that she does not, in fact, know everything. ;)

The independent study idea sounds good, too. :)

Hmmm... Latin grammar sounds good. I have considered Latin before, but wasn't sure if she was ready for it or not. However, she breezes through English grammar with no help from me, so she probably could handle it.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we are also going to be starting cursive, using New American Cursive. My husband has also suggested sign language, but she showed no interest in learning that when I asked her about it.

Edited by Mommy2BeautifulGirls
Removed the question about which curriculum. :D

Hmmm... Latin grammar sounds good. I have considered Latin before, but wasn't sure if she was ready for it or not. However, she breezes through English grammar with no help from me, so she probably could handle it.

I definitely agree that she could handle it. All three of mine began Latin studies (grammar-centric) at 5.

My daughter is 6-1/2, and I'm trying to come up with some new ways to challenge her this fall.

I have considered working in other bases for math, but I'm not sure if we're quite ready for that.

For her other subjects I have thought about having her choose a few topics to do some independent study on throughout the year. She likes drawing pictures of animals and copying facts about them from books. I thought about using lapbooks for the independent study subjects.

I'm just wondering if anyone of you brilliant minds have some other good ideas that I might be missing. Right now we're just basically working though her curriculum, but I don't think she is really being challenged, even working a couple years ahead.

I feel like I post this on too many threads, but have you thought about music lessons? Music lessons have been really wonderful for my highly gifted and accelerated kids. The get the opportunity to work with a mentor at their own speed and find out the benefits of daily practice of a skill. It has become a very important part of my kids home education.

I know exactly what you mean about just working through. I've given up on most regular curriculum. We pull resources from all over. We buy and loan many books and use the internet quite a bit. We do as many hands on things and field trips as possible. Don't be afraid to divert on a path that looks interesting! Have fun! :001_smile:

I have said this before in other threads, but it is the best answer I have: Let your dc decide on an 'extra project' or an area to go more in depth on. If they don't have any ideas then help them, or pick something for them if they are really unmotivated to choose. But IME with ds6, he is much more likely to put effort into something he chooses. And at this point I choose all his regular curriculum, so I let him choose an area to go deeper in. His choices have been surprising, but he is learning a lot.

I always read the K-8 curriculum board to look for ideas. Other than lap books, I am always looking for books that uses manipulative to learn a subject, or books that's good for a short unit.

When I am done with a semester or a year of curriculum, rather than going to the next level, I do a unit study with him by using books I described above, just to take a break and have a different perspective on a subject like math. I also try to steer away from workbooks and use more manipulative.

For example, after I was done with a year of Singapore math, I had 2 months left, so I did Hands-on Equation with him. I also did a book to solve mystery using math (I don't remember the name, but you get the idea). Next year, I have a geometry book and a math history book lined up.

Since he is good at language arts, I started him on Latin and Chinese just to give him some challenge. I am sure you have heard all the good things about Latin. Chinese is a very different language and it is difficult too. The characters look funny and very difficult to write.

Science is not not his strong area. I put him on Plato Science for middle school level. I am not sure how much he will retain, but it is a good exposure.

Have you thought about drama? Some gifted kids love drama.

With this kind of kids, you need to think outside the box to look for interesting curriculum/books for homeschooling. You can teach her anything that interests her.

I will second or third the suggestion for music lessons. We are a Suzuki family, and that is a wonderful world of music, but I believe that 6 is an age a which many teachers will consider starting. My DD has learned a great deal about patience, self-control, and performing for an audience, in addition to musical skills.

Certain programs lend themselves to being made more challenging. Singapore math's Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice books are wonderful for this. Michael Clay Thompson's language arts materials work well with kids who need more.

Foreign language, especially in combination with MCT LA, is wonderful to add extra challenge. We started with Latin last year and my son loved it. We will be adding Hebrew (mostly decoding) and possibly German (requested by my son) this year.

Playing an instrument and being in an orchestra (or other group) can be a good experience for advanced kids. Also drama seems to be something that a lot of the gifted kids do around here.

You could start a book club targeting advanced readers--a friend and I did this last year and it was a big hit.

Our homeschool group has a project fair every year and producing a poster about an area of interest for others to see was definitely challenging for my son. Public speaking can be challenging, working on a presentation to give to extended family members or friends, could also be more challenging than simply talking to mom.

We're trying Oak Meadow this year and it looks like it will challenge dd a lot in non-academic ways. It includes lots of art integrated with other subjects, nature study, handcrafts (we'll be doing knitting), and recorder. We'll also be studying Latin and Spanish. I'm excited to see how dd does with such a creative curriculum.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

This year we added in lots of things to keep dd busy and happy. She took wonderful co-op classes in science and math (her strong areas), and also in creative writing, art, and drama (which she now really loves). We added in programming using Scratch and Storytelling Alice, and started piano lessons. She started using logic workbooks from Prufrock Press, and they were a huge hit! She often has an area of interest that she wants to pursue on her own. For months she was very into mysteries, and she worked on creating codes, learning Morse code, and I picked up some reading comprehension books that were set up as mysteries to solve. Now she is all about Greek mythology thanks to the Percy Jackson books, and she has been making her own mythology flashcards, artwork, and games. She really loves doing hands-on projects, so we keep tons of arts and crafts materials on hand, as well as an ever-expanding selection of Legos and K'nex.

So, if we were to look into Latin, where do I start my research? Which Latin programs are good for advanced 6 year olds? She works best with something that can be done mostly on her own. Is there a program that is possibly a worktext?

Look at Lively Latin. My 6 (almost 7) yo can do it relatively independently. We go over the lessons together, mainly so I can make sure she understands, and I can usually get her started on the exercises and she does them. (She doesn't like to work independently so much, so I am almost always at the table, just working with her brother, available if she has questions.)

So, if we were to look into Latin, where do I start my research? Which Latin programs are good for advanced 6 year olds? She works best with something that can be done mostly on her own. Is there a program that is possibly a worktext?

Lively Latin might be a good choice. The Latin in BB1 is gentle, and it has integrated history, derivatives study, and grammar.

I'm not starting Latin until next year, but for future reference does Lively Latin use classical or ecclesiastical pronunciation?
There are audio files for each.

I have two suggestions that have worked for us:

What is she interested in? At 6, one of my dc was into rock collecting, one into astronomy, and one into knights. Providing materials and opportunities for their area of interest both challenged them at the time AND built their skills in independent learning.

Also, we do a lot of brain puzzle type books and games.

I have two suggestions that have worked for us:

What is she interested in? At 6, one of my dc was into rock collecting, one into astronomy, and one into knights. Providing materials and opportunities for their area of interest both challenged them at the time AND built their skills in independent learning.

Also, we do a lot of brain puzzle type books and games.

She absorbs books on animals and dinosaurs from the library. At any given time, we have between 20 and 45 books checked out. She's going through this one dinosaur series for the second time.

She SAYS she wants to own a restaurant one day, but I don't believe her. She doesn't like food! I see her doing something with animals instead. :D

She absorbs books on animals and dinosaurs from the library. At any given time, we have between 20 and 45 books checked out. She's going through this one dinosaur series for the second time.

She SAYS she wants to own a restaurant one day, but I don't believe her. She doesn't like food! I see her doing something with animals instead. :D

Okay, I would definitely go with helping her make (give her the supplies and some ideas) a notebook of animals and/or dinosaurs. Also, there may be zoo classes she could take if you are near a big enough city. She could learn tracks (Nature's Workshop sells great guides) and bird calls, you could visit a wild animal rescue to see what they do there, you could find a natural history museum that will have things to explore: skeletons, etc.

If she likes to draw animals, there are great nature sketchbook guides, books on how to draw animals, etc. I have seen models of dinosaur skeletons to put together that might challenge her.

Okay, I would definitely go with helping her make (give her the supplies and some ideas) a notebook of animals and/or dinosaurs. Also, there may be zoo classes she could take if you are near a big enough city. She could learn tracks (Nature's Workshop sells great guides) and bird calls, you could visit a wild animal rescue to see what they do there, you could find a natural history museum that will have things to explore: skeletons, etc.

If she likes to draw animals, there are great nature sketchbook guides, books on how to draw animals, etc. I have seen models of dinosaur skeletons to put together that might challenge her.

We already have animal journals. When she was into Diego, she found worksheets of animals from the show online and started her own field journal. She has since added to it. She also has a bird journal that she started after reading a beginner field guide cover-to-cover.

We do live near a zoo, but unfortunately, we cannot afford for her to take any classes at this time. I did see some dinosaurs, just yesterday, that I might have to get for her to build.

I think I might actually add independent study to our course list this year, and let her just work on whatever interests her. I'm sure I can get her to make lapbooks and write reports. I might also teach her some simple outlining.

If you do independent study you might want to have her pick a set thing to accomplish and make a plan for it. Ds6 has come up with some great projects, but I always sit down and talk with him about the process for that project and help him flesh out his ideas ahead of time. It saves a lot of stress and aggravation for both of us later and helps him feel like I'm still involved (he's not the big on working independently yet). Also, it sometimes helps him realize that his project may be a little too big to tackle just yet. In that case he files away his notes (he has an actual notebook for ideas) until he feels he is ready for it.

I have quite a few ideas because we're in the same situation. My DS6 is between 2 and 5 grade levels higher than age level, and I'm trying to slow him down from accelerating too much faster by filling a lot of our schedule with learning activities that teach "out" instead of just "up."

In our main weekly co-op, we're exploring:

music appreciation

Spanish

geography (with penpals from different countries)

drama (brought in by a local theater company)

fine arts (will be taught by a local artist)

LEGO robotics

We're also starting Latin (Word Roots and English from the Roots up).

In our core curriculum, in addition to the usual math/LA/science, social studies, we also incorporate Story of the World.

We're thinking about starting some quasi-academic extracurriculars, such as Odyssey of the Mind, mathcircles, robotics competitions, etc.

He wants to start guitar too, but between all this, sports and religion classes, and his brother's schedule, the taxi schedule is full right now! :)