Menu

can I count Keys to Algebra as "Algebra"???

My soon to be 10th grader stuggles with math. I mean STRUGGLES. She just cannot wrap her brain around it past pre-algebra and that was a major struggle. She came out of public school and did pre-algebra for 8th grade and I put her in Algebra one with Saxon when I started homeschooling her this past year. Well she obviously did not retain ANYTHING she "learned" in public school, because she just cannot wrap her brain around anything!

She currenty is on the second book of Keys to algebra and even that is a struggle and I have to walk her thru each problem. I am dreading the tears and frustration when we start up again trying to use Saxon alg. one

I cannot afford another math curriculum at this point.

So my question is, can I? Could I?? have her finish the Keys to Alg. course and call it Algebra one? Then have her do a consumer math program in 11th grade? She is NOT four year college bound. We want her to start in Jr. College .

Thanks!

I'd call it Beginning Algebra or Intro to Algebra. Algebra implies Algebra I, which Keys simply isn't. Want to tell you a story though. I have a friend whose mother tried to get through FOUR different algebra programs and failed with all. She graduated Valedictorian of her 4-year college class and is now at GWU Law School and is doing VERY well.

Thanks,

I think I will go thru the Keys series with her. She just is not ready for Saxon and the 30 problems each day! Unless I spread it over 2 years, but I think she'd so much better with a consumer math program in 11th.

For this child, I think Keys to Series is going to have to be it.

I mean she literally does not grasp math. She'll do problems one day and then the next completely forget how to do them

I think that maybe you should give her the Saxon placement test and see where she lands. I wonder whether her grasp of the background to math is not as strong as it should be. Algebra is so foundational--you really want to get that right. She may need to back up and take another run at it.

Also, not everyone can learn from Saxon. It's absolutely perfect for my DD, but I think it might have driven me crazy. She might be better served by a mastery program such as Lial's.

Something that has been very helpful in teaching my DD algebra this year has been to talk her through the reasons why she is doing things. "What are you REALLY doing here, honey? You're subtracting 12 from both sides why? Because you want to get Z by itself." "What are you REALLY doing here, honey? You're multiplying by the this to get the least common denominator, why? Because you want each side of the equation to be expressed as a single fraction, so you can apply fraction rules to it, right?" "What is a fraction, really?" (Answer: A fraction is fundamentally a division problem. She has heard that so many times that she recites it on cue.) "What is the standard form for the equation of a line? Then what is M? Then what is B? So what are we really trying to do here?" "What is the standard form for a quadratic equation? So you want to get this equation to have form, right?"

For my DD, it's not enough to learn all the algorithms. She doesn't extrapolate back to the theory from those methods unless I make her do it. She really doesn't want to think about math at all, and so I have to force her to do so. Saxon has been great for her because it takes her through these empowering methods of doing things, but it doesn't make her think about math in and of itself the way that I do. Other curricula that are always trying to make you think do not work for her, because she will not do that, but with Saxon she feels some measure of success in being able to solve the problems, and then she is more willing to put up with my annoying questions that make her dig a little deeper.

I think that maybe you should give her the Saxon placement test and see where she lands. I wonder whether her grasp of the background to math is not as strong as it should be. Algebra is so foundational--you really want to get that right. She may need to back up and take another run at it.

Also, not everyone can learn from Saxon. It's absolutely perfect for my DD, but I think it might have driven me crazy. She might be better served by a mastery program such as Lial's.

Something that has been very helpful in teaching my DD algebra this year has been to talk her through the reasons why she is doing things. "What are you REALLY doing here, honey? You're subtracting 12 from both sides why? Because you want to get Z by itself." "What are you REALLY doing here, honey? You're multiplying by the this to get the least common denominator, why? Because you want each side of the equation to be expressed as a single fraction, so you can apply fraction rules to it, right?" "What is a fraction, really?" (Answer: A fraction is fundamentally a division problem. She has heard that so many times that she recites it on cue.) "What is the standard form for the equation of a line? Then what is M? Then what is B? So what are we really trying to do here?" "What is the standard form for a quadratic equation? So you want to get this equation to have form, right?"

For my DD, it's not enough to learn all the algorithms. She doesn't extrapolate back to the theory from those methods unless I make her do it. She really doesn't want to think about math at all, and so I have to force her to do so. Saxon has been great for her because it takes her through these empowering methods of doing things, but it doesn't make her think about math in and of itself the way that I do. Other curricula that are always trying to make you think do not work for her, because she will not do that, but with Saxon she feels some measure of success in being able to solve the problems, and then she is more willing to put up with my annoying questions that make her dig a little deeper.

Well I did have her go back and do Saxon 8/7 for 9th and now we started Keys to Algebra over the summer. This kid still counts on her fingers! She cannot even add!!!! I am serious, it is that bad! However in public school math she got all A's and B's because she'd memorize how to do certain problems just to pass the test and then quickly forget. NOTHING has ever been cemented with this kid.

The entire Saxon 8/7 I had to do each problem with her. She'd forget everything she did overnight. I am so frustrated. She just is not math minded. However she writes at college level!

So, I just cannot see how she'll ever get thru Saxon Algebra one. We'll go thru the keys books and that is all I forsee. Again, I am out of $$$ and cannot afford other programs or tutors.

Well I did have her go back and do Saxon 8/7 for 9th and now we started Keys to Algebra over the summer. This kid still counts on her fingers! She cannot even add!!!! I am serious, it is that bad! However in public school math she got all A's and B's because she'd memorize how to do certain problems just to pass the test and then quickly forget. NOTHING has ever been cemented with this kid.

The entire Saxon 8/7 I had to do each problem with her. She'd forget everything she did overnight. I am so frustrated. She just is not math minded. However she writes at college level!

So, I just cannot see how she'll ever get thru Saxon Algebra one. We'll go thru the keys books and that is all I forsee. Again, I am out of $$$ and cannot afford other programs or tutors.

Well, she really does need to know her math facts for life. I suggest that you supplement with an inexpensive math facts program, like Flash Master, or Quarter Mile Math, or the Master Paks. I am not surprised that she had trouble with 87--it's very scattered, and it is difficult to wind your way through those pre-algebra and algebra problems if you don't know your math facts cold. She might need to concurrently do some of the earlier 'keys' books while she is relearning those math facts--the fractions ones would be really helpful in algebra and beyond later on. My recc would be to have her work very hard on those facts for a month, and then continue reviewing them on a low level from now on to keep them fresh in her mind--maybe 15 minutes a day on one of those programs. And simultaneously to do review of fractions, decimals, and percentages, and then move on back into advanced pre-algebra and then algebra. BTW, if you can find an old Saxon Algebra 1/2 book used, it's a good pre-algebra text, not algebra like it sounds like it is.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

When my son was in 6th grade and still adding on his fingers (and floundering like your dd because he didn't have the foundation to understand math) I took him back to the beginning of math with a different curruculum and "started over." We used MUS and the results were amazing!! Saxon was a total bomb for us and the only thing it was capable of producing was increased tears. I'd be inclined to get something like Math Mammoth (because it's inexpensive but very good) and "re-do" grades 1-6 going at her own pace, then try Pre-Algebra again.

Well, she really does need to know her math facts for life. I suggest that you supplement with an inexpensive math facts program, like Flash Master, or Quarter Mile Math, or the Master Paks. I am not surprised that she had trouble with 87--it's very scattered, and it is difficult to wind your way through those pre-algebra and algebra problems if you don't know your math facts cold. She might need to concurrently do some of the earlier 'keys' books while she is relearning those math facts--the fractions ones would be really helpful in algebra and beyond later on. My recc would be to have her work very hard on those facts for a month, and then continue reviewing them on a low level from now on to keep them fresh in her mind--maybe 15 minutes a day on one of those programs. And simultaneously to do review of fractions, decimals, and percentages, and then move on back into advanced pre-algebra and then algebra. BTW, if you can find an old Saxon Algebra 1/2 book used, it's a good pre-algebra text, not algebra like it sounds like it is.

Carol,

Thanks so much.

I am looking at Saxon algebra 1/2 online right now and was considering this. You think if I got that and had her work on Keys to fractions at the same time that would be better for 10th grade, and then try Saxon algebra one in 11th?

Carol,

Thanks so much.

I am looking at Saxon algebra 1/2 online right now and was considering this. You think if I got that and had her work on Keys to fractions at the same time that would be better for 10th grade, and then try Saxon algebra one in 11th?

I don't know whether she is ready for Algebra 1/2 exactly now. I think she needs to be solid on her math facts before attempting that program. One of the nice things about 1/2 is that it is a hardcover book, so you can find it used but not written in, pretty inexpensively.

(Another nice thing about it is that if you buy the latest edition you can also get the DIVE CD's for it, so she can hear the lessons on the computer--then you can supplement as needed yourself. But that's getting kind of pricey.)

I would suggest that you spend a month getting her really, really solid on math facts, and work through the keys to fractions, and THEN do Saxon 1/2. She needs to be able to just reflexively know the basic facts to be able to keep her place in those long, complicated pre-algebra and algebra problems, or else she will get bogged down in minutia and forget where she is in the main problem.

Another thing I remembered that has been helpful this year--my DD tended to start those complicated problems and forget what the problem asked for. Over and over I have sat with her and said, "OK, now you think you are finished, what did the problem ask for? Did you really answer that specific question? Where is the answer to that question? Is there a box around it?" I would do this sometimes even if she had, in fact, answered the actual question and put a box around it. She seemed to need to hear that this was necessary an unbelievable number of times, and she sometimes enjoyed showing me that she had, in fact, completed the problems...so there, Mom! Sounds silly, but when you have a non-mathy kid sometimes these basics must be done to death.

Not a popular vote-

Call it Algebra 1. The Key to books cover just as much, if not more than, TT Algebra 1. She will have covered the information and be able to begin TT Algebra 2. IMHO, this means that she has completed Algebra 1. (obviously not a rigorous Alg1, but still as much as TT and many basic traditional classrooms)

FWIW- Just giving my permission ;)

Mandy

Not a popular vote-

Call it Algebra 1. The Key to books cover just as much, if not more than, TT Algebra 1. She will have covered the information and be able to begin TT Algebra 2. IMHO, this means that she has completed Algebra 1. (obviously not a rigorous Alg1, but still as much as TT and many basic traditional classrooms)

Mandy

Thanks Mandy,

Wow, I didn't know TT was that far behind in teaching math. Well not sure we'll make it to algebra 2 at all, I may have her do a consumer math program. I may have her start now with Keys to Fractions and then move on to Keys to Algebra and call it a day. Thanks for you "permission" :)

As an example. I have TT Algebra 2 here and it is more Alg 1 and the first couple of months of Algebra 2. It does not cover Conic Sections or Matrices, which are usually covered in an Alg 2 textbook.

Here's a cute story: At one time my D was enrolled in a small, private homeschool group of 6-9 year olds. Well, the teacher had a high-school age (15) daughter who was an absolute genius but this girl had never learned her multiplication/division tables at ps, and she was failing math! So her mom--my D's homeschool tutor--pulled her D out of ps and worked with her to start her from Grade 1 math all over again. This girl (15) would sit at the same table all the 7 and 8 ands 9 year-old students in her home. She worked with manipulatives, alongside the "little kids". She did the "child" workbooks. After a couple of months she raced forward, whizzed through her advanced math, and went away to college (that's another story) at 16.

I, also, am having a terrible time finding the "right" math program for my D. She had 700s for English SATs, but a measly 500 for Math.

It is really a struggle to watch these kids. Personally, I think they have missed something along the way--maybe they were out with the flu one crucial week?--and that crack in knowledge has now expanded into a canyon.

Edited by distancia

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thanks Mandy,

Wow, I didn't know TT was that far behind in teaching math. Well not sure we'll make it to algebra 2 at all, I may have her do a consumer math program. I may have her start now with Keys to Fractions and then move on to Keys to Algebra and call it a day. Thanks for you "permission" :)

In regards to consumer math, many (maybe most?) require that the student be proficient in Algebra 1

When my son was in 6th grade and still adding on his fingers (and floundering like your dd because he didn't have the foundation to understand math) I took him back to the beginning of math with a different curruculum and "started over." We used MUS and the results were amazing!! Saxon was a total bomb for us and the only thing it was capable of producing was increased tears. I'd be inclined to get something like Math Mammoth (because it's inexpensive but very good) and "re-do" grades 1-6 going at her own pace, then try Pre-Algebra again.

:iagree:and brag alert.

My oldest was a Saxon bomb.

After years of struggling with Saxon in middle school and Alg1 being a disaster with several programs, ds used MUS Geometry and Alg2. When he took the ACT at the end of his 10th grade year (while doing MUS Alg2), he made an 18 on the math section. He actually did fine on the material that he had covered with MUS. He bombed the pre-alg.

Suddenly, because the colleges he was looking at wanted much better math scores, math became important to him. I couldn't push math into his brain. Tutors couldn't push math into his brain. But, when he saw those ACT scores, he was willing to back up and do whatever it took.

We used Kumon, partially because I needed to remove myself from his math. He started in level D. This is comparable to starting at the end of MUS Delta at the end of long division moving into fractions. He completed levels D-H and was working in I when he took the ACT the next spring. This is comparable to finishing halfway through MUS Delta through Alg1 in one year. He also went to a wonderful tutor once a week and did advanced math topics (some deeper Alg and Trig) and ACT prep.

His math score went from an 18 to a 25. I give a lot of credit to the tutor, but I give the most credit to my ds who decided that it was worth the hard work to raise that score. (this ds is also dyslexic, but he didn't want that following him to college. So, his ACT was taken without accommodations. He made a B in College Algebra first semester of his 12th grade year and spent the second half of the year doing using a college pre-calc book with a tutor. He was accepted at his first choice college and starts in Aug!)

If your dd is willing, definitely test her into an elementary school mastery program and work through those skills that she is missing.

Mandy

:iagree:and brag alert.

My oldest was a Saxon bomb.

After years of struggling with Saxon in middle school and Alg1 being a disaster with several programs, ds used MUS Geometry and Alg2. When he took the ACT at the end of his 10th grade year (while doing MUS Alg2), he made an 18 on the math section. He actually did fine on the material that he had covered with MUS. He bombed the pre-alg.

Suddenly, because the colleges he was looking at wanted much better math scores, math became important to him. I couldn't push math into his brain. Tutors couldn't push math into his brain. But, when he saw those ACT scores, he was willing to back up and do whatever it took.

We used Kumon, partially because I needed to remove myself from his math. He started in level D. This is comparable to starting at the end of MUS Delta at the end of long division moving into fractions. He completed levels D-H and was working in I when he took the ACT the next spring. This is comparable to finishing halfway through MUS Delta through Alg1 in one year. He also went to a wonderful tutor once a week and did advanced math topics (some deeper Alg and Trig) and ACT prep.

His math score went from an 18 to a 25. I give a lot of credit to the tutor, but I give the most credit to my ds who decided that it was worth the hard work to raise that score. (this ds is also dyslexic, but he didn't want that following him to college. So, his ACT was taken without accommodations. He made a B in College Algebra first semester of his 12th grade year and spent the second half of the year doing using a college pre-calc book with a tutor. He was accepted at his first choice college and starts in Aug!)

If your dd is willing, definitely test her into an elementary school mastery program and work through those skills that she is missing.

Mandy

Mandy,

Which ones do you suggest? How about ACE? Is that one mastery?

So my question is, can I? Could I?? have her finish the Keys to Alg. course and call it Algebra one? Then have her do a consumer math program in 11th grade? She is NOT four year college bound. We want her to start in Jr. College .

Thanks!

Yes, you could. One of my sons totally bombed with Teaching Textbooks, but over time picked up Algebra with the Key to Algebra series. It has been a grand success. Interestingly, I am adding in a few problems here and there from a college Intro to Algebra book (equivalent of Algebra I) and he has never had a problem doing a more "in depth," problem yet. I think the key has been the exceptional explanation within the Key To series.

I know loads of folks say Key to Algebra is a pre-algebra course. I have not found that to be the case. And in fact, have not come across a pre-algebra program that has this much Algebra I content. So I don't think that quite fits...but I could see how those who are more rigor based could call it Pre-Algebra.

Now, you could technically call the Key to Series, Algebra IA...and then if you want to present the information more indepth, giving her another year to master Algebra, you could name the second year with a more indepth program, Algebra IB. Some kids need more time, and that's okay!

Another vote for Key to Algebra as an Algebra 1 course. It is nothing like Saxon Algebra 1/2. That is pre-algebra. It is not exactly like Saxon Algebra 1 either. I used to own the series or I would check, but I believe there are some advanced concepts (Alg. 2) in the last two books. Not sure on that though. And since her math is not what will get her into the college of her choice, I wouldn't be concerned. But then that's me. :)

As for math facts, my dd does not know her math facts either. I don't know how much time I have spent in trying to fix this. I tell her over and over to apply herself to learning them each day and her math will go WAY faster. She just doesn't really care. Until she does care, then I am wasting MY time. BUT, you all have encouraged me to try again. We have a Flashmaster so I am going to devote the rest of July to skipping those last 10 lessons in Algebra 1 (they review anyway in the next book) and see if she can't get the math facts down once and for all. We'll see.....:glare:

• 1 year later...
Not a popular vote-

Mandy

Thank you because I'm using Key to Algebra with my ds (15) and he loves it. Last year I had him work through all the earlier Key to books (Decimals, Percents & Fractions) and when he tested he went up 6 grade levels in math applications (from far behind to 12th grade level) and is now above his age level all around in math. I couldn't be more pleased! What I think happened is that he prefers to learn all about one topic at a time and master it before moving on. However, I'm concerned about what math program to use next. Any thoughts?

I'd call it Beginning Algebra or Intro to Algebra. Algebra implies Algebra I, which Keys simply isn't. Want to tell you a story though. I have a friend whose mother tried to get through FOUR different algebra programs and failed with all. She graduated Valedictorian of her 4-year college class and is now at GWU Law School and is doing VERY well.

I agree with calling the course Intro to Algebra I or Beginning Algebra.

If it helps, try going with Consumer Math right now. Table the Keys series for now. When she is older, try reintroducing Pre-Algebra when she is a junior or senior? If she is CC bound, no need to pressure her. She may end up as a humanities major and not need so much math? But do try to get 3-4 years of math in her high school years like accounting or other courses.

We counted (as per NARS) the Keys To Algebra as Intro to Algebra. It's still a hs level math credit, but not the coveted "Alg. I or above." Here in FL, to get into a 4 yr state U, 4 yrs of math "Alg. I or above" is required, but for the cc, you only have to place per the test (ACT/SAT/or the cc placement test.)

FYI: The ACT required is a 19 for Statistics or Interm. Alg. The IA doesn't cover one of the 2 maths you need for an AA, but it is a college credit elective & preps you for College Algebra.

In 9th grade he completed TT Pre-Alg. He averaged in the mid to upper 80's on all daily work and tests. At the end of that year, he asked to review fractions, decimals and percents. He said he just simply didn't understand them. So, he'd been faking his way through TT pre-Alg.

Last year for 10th grade, he worked through all the lower levels of the Key To series. BEST thing I've done for him! He started the Key to Alg. a few weeks ago and is now having great success with it also!

Actually, the shocking thing is that he says that he *really* likes Algebra! I never thought it was possible!:)

When he finishes the Key to Alg. books, I will have him complete the Alg. II modules from the Systematic Mathematics program.

I agree about some light, daily math facts drill. My son still keeps a multiplication chart nearby to refer to as needed when doing his math. I've always allowed him to have that chart, but he has to use it less and less each year.

HTH!

I'd try to supplement it with some free online material such as videos from hippocampus or khanacademy which both have alg video courses.

Also, I'd get her doing dice games or using simple manipulatives (unifix cubes, beans, cards etc) for learning her basic facts. The family could start keeping a family coin jar and you all count it up from time to time. This can help a lot with grouping in 5s and learning to add more based on 5s instead of 10s. Learning to base addition facts off 5s helped my kids SOO much, i.e. think of 8 as 5+3 in stead of just 8, or even think of it as 10-2.

I didn't read all the replies so forgive me for that, but OMGosh, please do not put that poor dear through more Saxon torture!!! Saxon is too incremental for a student who struggles with math, it will only confuse her more. I don't care how wonderful it's supporters say it is, it's only wonderful for a student who can comprehend it! I know this from experience! Oldest ds took 2.5 years to complete Algebra 1. We started faithfully with Saxon and bombed BIG TIME. Went to Jacobs and bombed BIG TIME. Tried Making Math Meaningful and again bombed. I then resorted to the Key to books and still, not much understanding was taking place. It wasn't until we purchased the Math Relief DVD program that he FINALLY made it through an algebra program with a reasonable amount of comprehension. It was expensive, but it worked. I didn't know much about MUS at the time, but I think that would have been helpful to him as well.

Anyhow, I agree with those who said to step back and get her grounded in the basics before attempting Alg again. I'm not sure I agree with those who think the Key to books are worthy of the Alg 1 title though. Instead I would call it Intro to Algebra 1. Homeschool gets enough flack without us padding our transcripts with mediocre math and calling it a standard title. Just my opinion though.

Having been there, done that, I really do feel your angst. Depending on her career goals, many AA degrees (even in a community college) require at least a college level Algebra credit, so (in my opinion) high school is the best time to get her ready for that...even if it takes her three years. College level Algebra is hard and even if she begins with pre-alg in college, remember that their courses are a semester, not a year, and what your dd cannot grasp in a year at home, she will surely not grasp in a college semester with a more difficult, visually overwhelming, book.

• 2 months later...

Oh gosh, this could be my 14 year old son. He did fine on Saxon 65 last year, and can't do anything in Saxon 76. He won't apply himself, works through school as quickly as possible to get it over with. He, too, is making simple mistakes, especially with multiplication. Some may suggest that he is bored and should be in a higher level. We'll he was bored with math (and all school) from 1st grade.

How is your daughter doing? I'm following this post so perhaps I can figure out what to do with his math issues.

Edited by Stillwood