Menu

attn ALEKS users....dd and math

Ugh. I get so frustrated with dd#2. She will be a senior next year. She hates math, and is not very good at it in general. She has plowed SLOWLY through ALEKS alg. 1. I chose aleks because she is the type of kid that will just do what she has to do to get through something. She doesn't care if she gets it all right. Bare minimum if she hates it. I got tired of checking her work and having to make her redo redo redo... Anyway, aleks has been a good fit, I think. Here's my present dilemma. She takes copious (word for word) notes on every section, which takes time, but then she uses her notes on the assessments. I know that taking notes helps her learn better, but I'm questioning whether I should continue to allow her to use them when she does her assessments. It's not like she has the answers to the problems or anything, but I feel like it is a crutch none the less. On the other hand, this child has been doing algebra 1 (she has assessed at about 75% right now) for-ev-er!!! I just checked today, and she has logged 230(!!!!) hours. Over about the last 1.5 years. And she is not done yet (banging head on wall). She has done about 1/3 of TT geometry, but gets bogged down on the proofs. I would love to enroll her in CC to finish her math, but ours won't let high schoolers take remedial level courses. So...any advice on whether to let her keep using her notes? Any words of wisdom for getting this kid through Algebra 2??? Arrrrg. BTW, she can learn *anything* she is motivated to learn. She aced Chemistry in her coop class last year, so there is nothing wrong with her brain when properly motivated. She learned the math she had to learn to do the Chem. Would it be ok to let her finish the TT and only skim the proofs? TIA

Kayleen