Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In2why

Vowel Poem from Ordinary Parents Guide

I borrowed the book from the Library before deciding that it wasn't something I needed to purchase for my son's reading. He is already too far ahead and we are using AAS which will cover Phonics review. But There is a poem in the beginning about vowels I would like my 4 y/o to memorize.

I think I remember the beginning;

A is the first sound we will say

[a] is the ??? sound of A

Could someone provide me with the the poem please? I went back to the library today with the intention of copying it and of course the book was checked out.

Thanks

A is the first vowel we will say

/a/ is the short vowel sound of A

We went over and over and over this poem...DD loved it! :)

A is the first vowel we will say.

/a/ is the short vowel sound of a.

E is the next vowel, don't you see?

/e/ is the short vowel sound of e.

I is the third vowel that goes by.

/i/ is the short vowel sound of i.

O is the fourth vowel that I know.

/o/ is the short vowel sound of o.

U is the fifth vowel; that is true.

/u/ is the short vowel sound of u.

My kid loved this poem. (I couldn't type the little smiley face over the vowel sound, but they're there for the short sound.)

Enjoy.

We found the OPGTTR poem difficult to remember, although we love the book on the whole. My kids memorized the vowel names and sounds to "B-I-N-G-O" song. They sang "A-E-I-O-U...and those are the five vowel names" and then we sang "/a/-/e/-/i/-/o/-/u/...and those are the short vowel sounds".

We found the OPGTTR poem difficult to remember
:iagree: Its major weakness is that the letter names rather than the phonemes are incorporated into the rhymes, so there's no auditory jarring when the child makes says the wrong phoneme.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin