Menu

Michael Clay Thompson's Self Evident Truths Series

roseygift

Hello-

I'm researching the MCT Language Arts curriculum for my 6th grader and came across the "Self-Evident Truth Series" which are studies of famous speeches in history (Declaration of Independence, Gettysburg Address...). It looked interesting so I read on and discovered that the most recent speech added was Barack Obama's speech on race that basically puts his speech on up there with Abe Lincoln's and Jefferson's. Not that I'm afraid to analyze speeches and learn about them, I am afraid of the potential slant a curriclum's author might put on something so recently spoken.

This may be a hot topic, but I'm concerned with the political view that the MCT curriculum may reflect. Granted, I probably would not purchase the Obama speech (at least for a 6th grader), but am I being overly paranoid about this? Has anyone else used the other speech books?

The Obama book is not written by Michael Clay Thompson. It's written by the owner of RFWP. It's along the same lines as the other books in the series, looking at poetic devices of speeches and how the speaker achieved what they did through their words.

There are no political views reflected in the MCT language arts curriculum.

The Obama book is not written by Michael Clay Thompson. It's written by the owner of RFWP. It's along the same lines as the other books in the series, looking at poetic devices of speeches and how the speaker achieved what they did through their words.

:iagree:

:iagree:as well.

I am looking forward to using these books sometime next year (as we are doing US History) but I don't plan on using the B.O. book for a myriad of reasons. That doesn't mean that I won't in the end, I just don't plan on it. I don't consider many "modern" speeches worthy of much consideration. Too many professional speech writers. :tongue_smilie:

Actually, if I recall correctly, Obama, actually wrote his own speech.

Dr. Kemnitz wtires in "An Issue This Nation Cannot Ignore Barack Obama's Speech on Race, March 18, 2008."

"It was understood from the time he gave the speech that Obama had written it himself in the two days before he gave it, and that he had shown it only to a few members of his campaign staff. So the assessments of it's importance as a campaign speech and as an expression of race relations were based upon the work of the speaker, not on one that of a group of speech writers.

The starting point for this book is a simple question: does this speech have real merit? Does Obama have anything substantial to say, or are his words merely empty sentiments? Does he ask anything of the American people, or does he offer them only congratulatory platitudes? how does he express himself? Does he use special vocabulary or employ grammatical and poetic devices? Does he operate from any underlying structures that shape his thinking about how Americans might meet the issues he raises?"

Edited by Capt_Uhura
to correct typos that were mine and not Dr. K's

Actually, if I recall correctly, Obama, actually wrote his own speech. Well, that's good to know. I am not a particular fan of politics, politicians and the "media" in general, so I might not pay attention to a detail like that.

Dr. Kemnitz wtires in "An Issue This Nation Cannot Ignore Barack Obama's Speech on Race, March 18, 2008."

"It was understood from the time he gave the speech that Obama had written it himself in the two days before he gave it, and that he had shown it only to a few members of his campaign staff. So the assessments of it's importance as a campaign speech and as an expression of race relations were based upon the work of the speak, no on that of a group of speech writers.

The starting point for this book is a simple question: does this speech have real merit? Does Obama have anything substantial to say, or are his words merely empty sentiments? Does he ask anything of the American people, or does he offer them only congratulatory platitudes? how does he express himself? Does he use special vocabulary or employ grammatical and poetic devices? Does he operate from any underlying structures that shape his thinking about how Americans might meet the issues he raises?"

These are all good points, as I know Dr. T would not make any points but good ones. :D I still do not have it on my agenda for next year. I will be lucky if I can do the Jefferson, and I am really looking forward to that one!

We wouldn't get to that point in history until later anyway, so I will look at it at the convention. It sounds far more interesting, now. Thanks Cap'n!

Edited by radiobrain