Menu

Spelling Nightmare

I would love some input. My DD, who is almost 11, going into 6th Grade, is a horrible speller.

Here is the list of programs that we have done:

Abeka - K4 to Grade 2 - full language arts program

Spelling Power - in Grade 3 - She did fine for the first little bit, but then things went downhill fast. It progressed too quickly for her.

All About Spelling - Grade 4 - This lasted until she realized her brother who was in Grade 2, was in the same book that she was doing. Then she asked me to find something else. We floundered.

Sequential Spelling - Grade 5 - This has been okay, but I am finding that it isn't translating to her writing.

After Abeka Grade 2, she completed Book 3 - 8 of the Explode the Code series for phonics.

I think that some of it might be laziness. Today I implemented the rule that if she spells a word wrong, she writes it out 25 times. She had 3 lists to write today.

What do I do for 6th Grade?

Do I make her going through All About Spelling from the beginning and zip through it? Her brothers are all working at various spots in the program, but I am tempted to lay down the law on this one. Is there an alternative?

Thanks in advance,

I would love some input. My DD, who is almost 11, going into 6th Grade, is a horrible speller.

Here is the list of programs that we have done:

Abeka - K4 to Grade 2 - full language arts program

Spelling Power - in Grade 3 - She did fine for the first little bit, but then things went downhill fast. It progressed too quickly for her.

All About Spelling - Grade 4 - This lasted until she realized her brother who was in Grade 2, was in the same book that she was doing. Then she asked me to find something else. We floundered.

Sequential Spelling - Grade 5 - This has been okay, but I am finding that it isn't translating to her writing.

After Abeka Grade 2, she completed Book 3 - 8 of the Explode the Code series for phonics.

I think that some of it might be laziness. Today I implemented the rule that if she spells a word wrong, she writes it out 25 times. She had 3 lists to write today.

What do I do for 6th Grade?

Do I make her going through All About Spelling from the beginning and zip through it? Her brothers are all working at various spots in the program, but I am tempted to lay down the law on this one. Is there an alternative?

Thanks in advance,

If you see that she has gaps in her knowledge that AAS could fill in, I absolutely would take her through it. But I would tell her the following:

1, I'd say, "we tried something else, but it isn't working."

2, let her know this isn't her fault--you didn't know about the program soon enough or she would be farther ahead--take the "blame" for it if it softens the blow for her, iow.

3, she won't have to spell any words that she already knows how to spell. You'll teach her the concepts and if she easily knows it, you'll let her move ahead without doing the word lists and the dictations.

Here's an article I wrote about how to help their spelling translate into their writing. You may find some good ideas in there whether or not you decide to take her through AAS.

HTH some! Merry :-)

I agree with All About Spelling. This probably isn't the first time that she and her brother learned something at the same time and it won't be the last. I would talk about their individual talents and how spelling is her weakness. I would also stress that there aren't grade levels to AAS just levels.

How did spelling power progress to fast? That goes at the students pace? If you still have that I would give that a try again. Get the student book and follow the 10 step to a T. Start with just 3 words to learn at first, and have her do the sentences with them as well! See if that helps!

This was my reaction: the pace is supposed to be dependent upon the student's mastery of a particular list. Any words that are misspelled are supposed to be gone over and over until they are automatically spelled correctly. The activity box, with suggestions of how to incorporate the words into games, writing prompts, or essays, also slows things down considerably. Are you not doing any of these to reinforce the word lists? The teacher manual is really intimidatingly and off-puttingly long, I know, but it does state that just going through the lists one per week or at a pre-determined pace will not get the job done.

This was my reaction: the pace is supposed to be dependent upon the student's mastery of a particular list. Any words that are misspelled are supposed to be gone over and over until they are automatically spelled correctly. The activity box, with suggestions of how to incorporate the words into games, writing prompts, or essays, also slows things down considerably. Are you not doing any of these to reinforce the word lists? The teacher manual is really intimidatingly and off-puttingly long, I know, but it does state that just going through the lists one per week or at a pre-determined pace will not get the job done.

:iagree:

My 5th grader is a horrible speller. I took him to a vision therapist because he has an eye issue which he didn't outgrow and is affecting his reading. What I learned is that, besides his other issue, he has very poor visual memory. I think natural spellers have a strong visual memory.

Of course, I have some exercises from our therapist to help his visual memory. But I also ordered some books off of Amazon to address this issue as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Strengthening-Visual-Memory-Skills-Modified/dp/0742401642/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278544906&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Ocular-Visual-Perceptual-Skills/dp/1556425953/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278544964&sr=1-1

I tried to do some remedial work with him last year (4th grade) with Phonics Pathways. The book is fine. His results with it were hideously horribly. After learning the rule about when to end words with "ck", he started using "ck" everywhere for the /k/ sound. In other words, he regressed. :001_smile:

We've been doing exercises for a few weeks and I have noticed a small improvement. He's also started reading for pleasure like a mad man just recently. Hopefully, that will help some too.

Have you looked at Phonetic Zoo (IEW's spelling program)? I'm trying it with my 6th grader next year. I really like that he can do it on his own. There is a placement test on their website so you know which level to buy. Also, if you buy directly from them, there is a lifetime 100% money back guarantee if you're not completely satisfied!

I agree with All About Spelling. This probably isn't the first time that she and her brother learned something at the same time and it won't be the last. I would talk about their individual talents and how spelling is her weakness. I would also stress that there aren't grade levels to AAS just levels.

We do that here too. Ds2 is much stronger in spelling and LA in general. He regularly answers when ds1 calls out, "How do you spell .....?"

If AAS was working for her, I'd jump all over that. Hopefully she'll understand that it's worth working on a program that suits her regardless of where her sibs are.

It sounds like AAS was working, she just didn't like being behind little brother. I would kindly but firmly explain that we all have strengths and weaknesses and while you tried something else at her request it isn't working so she is going back to AAS.

If AAS was working for her, I'd jump all over that. Hopefully she'll understand that it's worth working on a program that suits her regardless of where her sibs are.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I was going to suggest Megawords, but if you have AAS and it was working, then go with that! My dyslexic 10yo works on reading with his younger sister. And she's better at it than he is. But we talk about how he has his strengths, too (math, science, art, building things, etc) and how she has her weaknesses; and how families work well together when their strengths and weaknesses complement each other.