Menu

pictures of my filing system

A small miracle... 4 weeks ago I found a large plastic tote full of binders and those green filing folders for $5... Then last week at the goodwill I found labels for those filing folders for $1.99... I have been trying to figure out the best way to utilize my finds (knowing they are great if I be could be organized with them). Now, you have posted just what I needed for it all to come together!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have homeschooled for 5 years now and still not been able to get it all together to be organized with a toddler always around. But now, my youngest is 4 and it is much easier to keep everything a little more organized... So, I have been planning more. And your post has been a BLESSING! Thanks!

I ahve always wondered something about doing this sort of system...maybe you can help me...you said you tear apart workbooks and put them into the file folders...what do you do if they are only to do 1 side of a page...instead of both on a given day...do you then have to remember to put that page in the next day's folder? And, also, what happens if you need to do remedial work on a subject for a week or so...then that messes up your system, yes? How do you work with those sorts of things?

Kathy

Photocopying earlier than 5 minutes before the lesson? What a novel idea! :lol: You are good, girl! You have now given me a new project, and I cannot wait to get this going. It is going to make my days move much easier...Thank you!!!

Oh, btw, I enjoyed your explanation of your system. You made me feel like you related in so many ways to a home schooling mom..very genuine!

I won't be doing the 36-week filing/ planning system (I will be filing by subjects instead) but I enjoyed seeing what you have done and you did give me some good tips to add to ours ;). I just saved the link to go over it again when I have more time. Thank you for posting. Your system looks great and very well organized.

How would this system work if you are using mostly non-consumables (not workbooks?). For ex/ ds12 uses Saxon 8/7, we use HOD for History, Science, Bible, etc. I would love to have some system as beautifully organized as this, but fear it wouldn't work well with our chosen curriculum, kwim? Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks for posting this. I haven't read the other thread and I love your system. I had a binder system for each dc 2 years ago that held their work for the current week. I didn't continue the entire year because it got so hard putting it together each Sunday night. I love that you do it once in the beginning and then just have to grab it out of the filing cabinet and give it to them each week.

Thanks for sharing! :D

How would this system work if you are using mostly non-consumables (not workbooks?). For ex/ ds12 uses Saxon 8/7, we use HOD for History, Science, Bible, etc. I would love to have some system as beautifully organized as this, but fear it wouldn't work well with our chosen curriculum, kwim? Any thoughts anyone?

I have the same system. Mine say Jan., Feb., March on the large tabbed green files. Then in those I have a file for each week of that month week 1, week 2 week 3 and so on. I have Advent in the Dec. file, Thanksgiving in the November file and so on(if their are any special projects I want to do). For those items that are consumables they are in a colored pocked folder, one color per child in the weeks folder. My older two do a lot on their own that are not consumable, for those they look at their handy dandy HST assignment sheet that is in their pocket folder. It's hard to explain, I should post pics.

I also buy birthday cards early, address and stamped, then I put them in one week before the persons birthday, this way when we get to that week I just toss it in the mail. :) You can get great deals on special occasion cards the day after (Valentines, Mothers Day, Christmas..etc.)

I have the same system. Mine say Jan., Feb., March on the large tabbed green files. Then in those I have a file for each week of that month week 1, week 2 week 3 and so on. I have Advent in the Dec. file, Thanksgiving in the November file and so on(if their are any special projects I want to do). For those items that are consumables they are in a colored pocked folder, one color per child in the weeks folder. My older two do a lot on their own that are not consumable, for those they look at their handy dandy HST assignment sheet that is in their pocket folder. It's hard to explain, I should post pics.

I also buy birthday cards early, address and stamped, then I put them in one week before the persons birthday, this way when we get to that week I just toss it in the mail. :) You can get great deals on special occasion cards the day after (Valentines, Mothers Day, Christmas..etc.)

I would LOVE it if you posted pictures as I really like this filing system, but also have nonconsumables and use HST. If you get the chance, pretty please post pictures???? Thanks.

Kim

Do you need any forms or note cards or other supplies? If so, file those so you won't be scrambling to find them. How about ordering things from the library or purchasing supplies? You could put your notes about these things in a folder for yourself, by week. Your planning notes? File them.

I do some things that aren't consumable, like studying government from a text. I will be filing a summary form for two of my kids, various planning sheets (like those web diagrams for brainstorming sessions), that sort of thing. These will be for written narrations and outlining. I will also include note cards for relevant vocabulary.

Think about how to make it as open and go as possible.

Edited by Geek

3 of my 4 are doing HOD this year 2. For 2 of them, this is what I plan on having in my files:

SCIENCE:

Have Science Experiment sheet and sketchbook sheet (where they copy the verse and then draw a picture from their science books) as well as possibly printing out the weekly questions with room underneath for them to answer.

COPYWORK:

my youngers still need to reference the letters for cursive etc, I will have a sheet printed out in cursive of the memory verse or poem that I am having them copy

HISTORY: I made some history notebooking pages for Bigger and will have those put in the files as needed.

HISTORY ACTIVITY PROJECT: Any paper projects I will have the paper in the folder for them to use.

GRAMMAR:

I use the R&S Worksheets that coincide with their grammar lessons, so I will have those in the file. For the day there is no correlating worksheet then I will have lined paper

Math: We are doing Singapore, but not the workbooks, so I will be using a notebook for them to copy their lessons in. I may just have lined paper for their math and the put it in a 3 ring binder when finished or I may just have the math notebook moved from day to day folders.

For my pefectionist daughter who is doing HOD Preparing, I have a different system that worked for us last year and will use again (she would have a fit [if she could get away with it] if I tore apart her workbooks so this is what we do) . I used a modified version of the workbox system, but use hanging files instead of plastic bins or draws. I have a crate that holds the hanging files. Each subject has it's own file. (they were numbered in the order to do them, but she would get upset anytime I changed that order, so we just have them labeled by subject now). In the file I have the books she needs for that week (I have a larger bin where I store the other books for that particular manual until we need them and a hanging file with folders by subject in my filing cabinet with the worksheets she needs for the year).

In the history folder she will have "Grandpa's Box" (or CHOW ) and the Storytime book that we are currently using as well as her history notebook for writing narrations. I also have Draw & Write book and notebooks where she will be doing those, but could set up a Independent History file if it won't hold it all.

In the science file she has her One Small Square book and a folder to hold her blank science experiment sheet for that week (I will print 34 of them 1 for each week and store them in the science file folder in my filing cabinet in a hanging file with her name on it) and her science sketchbook.

In Math I have her Singapore Textbook and her math notebook.

Grammar/Writing - Grammar Student Text & Worksheets, Writing Workbook.

Spelling/Reading/Vocabulary - Her spelling workbook and Reading Workbook (haven't decided whether to do DITHOR or Pathway Readers) and index cards for vocabulary

Art/Music - worksheets and flat materials for those.

Latin - Her Latin Workbook and index cards for vocabulary

Hope this helps.

Catholicmommy,

You motivated me!

Here is my picture.

I made the same basic set up as you did.....one folder for each week with separate folders per child.

I used a different color for each quarter. Each quarter has 10 folders. 9 school weeks + 1 for extras that will be used multiple times during the quarter such as composer cds, artist prints, etc.

The orange section in the back is where I placed the workbooks that I haven't decided if I'm going to dismantle, TMs, and the extras that I don't have a specific schedule to follow such as phonics games.

I love the visuals. I had found a great little Filing cabinet for next to nothing that I am using for the upcoming year but I wasn't sure if I wanted to organize by subject, weeks, or year. I think this is a perfect example of when you are ready the teacher will appear. I really appreciate you sharing your system.

So far I am going to do the first 18 weeks and see how it works for us.

I ahve always wondered something about doing this sort of system...maybe you can help me...you said you tear apart workbooks and put them into the file folders...what do you do if they are only to do 1 side of a page...instead of both on a given day...do you then have to remember to put that page in the next day's folder? And, also, what happens if you need to do remedial work on a subject for a week or so...then that messes up your system, yes? How do you work with those sorts of things?

Kathy

Kathy,

Sorry for taking so long to respond:) my husband is on vacation this week and we've been out having fun as a family.

For workbook pages that are double sided, you only need to worry about when it is for a friday on one side and a Monday on the next, if you are keeling the current week's worth together. I guess if you were doing workboxes with this, then you might need to think more about it.

For me, all I did last year was try to remember to keep that sheet out and out it back into the following week's papers. Sometimes things were missing, because the kids lost it, so this year I think I will photocopy the extra page so each week's file is complete and I don't have to move things around.

As far as your question about remedial work and whether it will mess up the system I will wrote myself from a previous thread. I hope it explains the way that we dealt with that issue.

I definitely see where you are coming from, and the flexibility in homeschooling is certainly a plus.... However, I finally realized that for people with my personality, it can also be a curse. The very fact that you can be flexible with your speed at which you accomplish subjects caused me to fall behind every single year. Not because the kids needed time to 'cook', but because aftere the 'cooking' time, we didn't take the time to catch up so we would reach the finish line at a reasonable time.

If you don't have the end in mind when you start, then you will have a harder time getting there. Begin with the end in mind... Isn't that from one of those fancy self help books? Lol

I still believe a little bit every day is far more beneficial than the spurts and stops that I was doing before. That being said, if the kids do need a bit of time to cook, or want to work faster, than there is nothing stopping you from pulling out the math from the next week's folder. It's not as though the pages are glued on there right? For me, the inconvenience of having to do that helped me decide if it was really worth it to go off my planned schedule. It was almost like a check and balance.

As well, having all 36 weeks filed helps you see the big picture, so you clearly see that delaying math for a week will delay you end of school date. At which point you can either decide that you are ok with that or try to find some way to skip some easier math down the road so you do end up finishing on time.

In my mind, there is a big sense of discouragement for both teacher and student when you get to the end of the year and see that all other subjects are done except the last 78 pages of math. In our experience, it has led to a viscous cycle, because we get burned out on math and then end up starting the next year already behind.

I hope that helps. Like I said way back at the beginning of this thread, this system will not work for every family. It works for us, because if I didn't file, half of it wouldn't get done and the rest would be hopelessly disorganized. I love how the filing system is teaching both me AND my children to become more organized and grow in our perseverance

This is very interesting. How long does it take you to organize this all?

Angela

The work of planning out the year took the longest for me, but really we should all be doing something like that regardless of what system we organize everything. Filing everything took about a week of here and there stuff... But it's fun! And if all you have time to file is math and language arts and maybe some pictures to study once a month, you are still going to be ahead. It doesn't have to be perfect!

Catholicmommy,

You motivated me!

Here is my picture.

I made the same basic set up as you did.....one folder for each week with separate folders per child.

I used a different color for each quarter. Each quarter has 10 folders. 9 school weeks + 1 for extras that will be used multiple times during the quarter such as composer cds, artist prints, etc.

The orange section in the back is where I placed the workbooks that I haven't decided if I'm going to dismantle, TMs, and the extras that I don't have a specific schedule to follow such as phonics games.

Love the colored folders and the division by quarter. Great idea!

Thank you to everyone who had kind words to say about my blog oust. I'm so happy I could help someone else. I came to these boards as a lurked when my oldest was in preschool, and have learned so so much from all the wise women who have gone before. It.'s such a blessing to have a community like this.

:grouphug:

One of the things I like about this system is that I can get the paperwork out of the way and organized, which allows me to have more time to be more flexible with other subjects that aren't paper heavy. I did pick out Bible verses for each week last year, and wrote those on index cards so that I could just pin the new one up each week. But if you aren't doing a formal program for something, don't feel like you have to make it so to fit the files. Science is so much fun for us, but not at all a formal program. I have found experiments that would be fun at certain times of the year - I filed a leaf one at the beginning of autumn last year. I didn't lose it that way, and I also didn't have to rely on my memory. (That might have been the most I did for filing ahead for science last year.)

For my youngers, I can file picture books in the file folders so that they don't get forgotten or missed - both ones I own and ones from the library.

And some mornings I need to be smacked in the head with a book to get moving. No need to decide on a book to start the morning, as it is right in front of me. I can read it with my cup of tea, which no longer takes any brain cells to brew. Some mornings I need to start on autopilot. This helps. :D