Menu

Did you repeat K for your 5 yo boy?

On the fence about repeating K for my ds. He will just turn 6 at the end of the month. I can't decide if he's ready for 1st. On one hand, I feel one more year to mature for a boy is good. On the other hand....

What age did you start 1st grade with your boys?

Thanks,

Sandy

Repeat. Of all my children (8) only one of 5 boys (so far) was truly ready to move into grade 1 at 6years old. Even then, although academics were possible, that inner "I need to play" was still relevant. Make as much of school as you can hands on, exploratory and fun and move along at a comfortable pace. Make your decisions less on grade level and more on ability. Remember, with many topic areas, he may jump ahead, but then spend a long time seemingly stagnant. That will be okay :) The WORST thing to do is rush and push when not ready. Watch for cues (tears, lack/difference of physical ability vs. mental ability) and play to his strengths. Whether he's a 2nd or 3rd grader later will show itself clearly. For now, there can be a lot of overlap in K/1.

HTH.

I was going to start my ds in K last fall when he just turned 5 but he just was not ready. I did some pre-k things with him. I waited for HIM to show me he was ready and he did last month. We started K last month and he is doing AMAMZING!!!! Just turning 6 is young for a boy in 1st. I would wait before starting 1st grade materials until he is ready. I am glad I waited for K! I have a 4 year old son who wants to start K with him older brother but emotionally he is not ready and his maturity level is not there. So we do fun pre-k stuff and he is learning and happy!

My 7.5 year old is academically beginning 1st grade (still not reading) after 2 years of K work. He's still on the books as a 2nd grader though. I want to give him some time to see if he catches up... in TN we aren't required to test. If he doesn't catch up by, say, 5th grade I will consider changing his grade level with our Umbrella School.

I keep my dc in the grade with their age-mates, regardless of ability.

At the beginning of "1st grade," I am guessing my oldest would have been at an early K level in reading, a 1st grade level in writing, and could have hacked 2nd grade math if we are comparing to ps.

My current rising "Kindergartener" is at a solid K-level for math, and could easily jump into a 1st grade ps classroom for LA.

I have faith that the veteran HSers are right in that most kids "even out" by 3rd-4th grade...and it's best to just teach to YOUR dc's level regardless of label.

On the fence about repeating K for my ds. He will just turn 6 at the end of the month. I can't decide if he's ready for 1st. On one hand, I feel one more year to mature for a boy is good. On the other hand....

Thanks,

Sandy

After our ds had finished K, he turned 6 in August and we chose to do a K/1 year, in between his K and 1 years. It's one of the best decisions we have ever made in our homeschooling. Although academically he was ready to move on, giving him that extra year to mature has reaped immeasurable benefits. Instead of rushing ahead, we've been savoring the moments and enjoying his childhood. I have no regrets about our decision. :001_smile:

I keep my dc in the grade with their age-mates, regardless of ability.

At the beginning of "1st grade," I am guessing my oldest would have been at an early K level in reading, a 1st grade level in writing, and could have hacked 2nd grade math if we are comparing to ps.

My current rising "Kindergartener" is at a solid K-level for math, and could easily jump into a 1st grade ps classroom for LA.

I have faith that the veteran HSers are right in that most kids "even out" by 3rd-4th grade...and it's best to just teach to YOUR dc's level regardless of label.

:iagree:I think that is one of the benefits of homeschooling, my children don't have to be doing ALL 1st grade work or ALL 3rd grade work. Their grade level is based on their age, and they may very well be doing 2nd grade reading along with 4th grade math while in 3rd grade. Grades don't mean anything in our house, except for when we are out in public and someone asks them what grade they are in. ;) Even in Sunday School I place them in whatever grade I think they will enjoy most and learn the most from.

I debated so much wether to repeat K or not, because I did not do well this past year for K. I tried to combine two different programs and ended up not doing either well, even though my ds was very willing.

I am still very new to this, my oldest is only 6. I wish I had seen all this good advice before I went and bought my curriculum this year. Have any of you used SL 1 with a 6yr old? That is what I got, but now I am second guessing myself. We are just starting our first week. He is using MUS primer though and ARFW A. Do most feel that 5 is young for K? I am just wondering because my ds 4, will be 5 in January and I am trying to decide when is best to start him, he begs for school work and flies through readiness books with the thinking skills, but is slow on motor skills and very short attention span! I had originally thought to make him an early K but am thinking now I wont.

Another thing I am trying to work out with the ages and K is that, I was a prek teacher for a couple of years before I had my own and its been so hard to reprogram myself on what kids need to know and when, my 3yr olds in ps class where doing what I see alot of h/s K's doing. This has been a total change of pace! I am so thankful I get to do this!

i don't think of it so much as repeating or "holding back" but stretching things out...we did two years of 2nd grade. what i thought was "repeating" actually worked out to be skipping 3rd grade, or "who the heck cares what grade he's in? he's right where he needs to be."

Ds started first grade a few days after he turned six. He was ready. If we had "held him back", he would have seen it as a vote of "no confidence". I met him where he was academically, which was all over the place, but we definitely called it first grade. He rose to the challenge and is doing beautifully in second now.

Edited by Medieval Mom

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

He will still be with his "age mates" if he does K again because many parents don't put their children in K until they are 6. My dd will be 7 in August and just started "1st grade" (we start school after the 4th of July and end by Memorial Day). With an August birthday he will still be graduating while 18. My ds will be 15 at the end of September and is going into 9th grade, and is not the oldest in his homeschool class. It has been very beneficial for him and he does not wish he was in a higher grade. My mother graduated high school when she was 17 and her advice was to NOT let any of my children graduate at 17.

ETA that my decisions had nothing to do with academics.

I wish I had. My ds has a July birthday, so when he started first grade he was only recently six. Learning reading, writing, and math were pretty painful, but it just never occurred to me that I could give him another year of K. So now we are repeating 6th grade, which doesn't delight dh but doesn't bother ds at all. The repeat will give him some needed time to mature, to get on grade level with Singapore's Primary Math, and to establish better work habits before he hits junior high level work. So I am fixing my mistake, but it would have been a lot simpler and more pleasant if I'd just let him repeat K at the beginning. (I started college at 17, like many people, and somehow I just always had the impression that that was the "right" age. Only much later did I learn that plenty of people start college at 19. And what was right for a bookish girl was not right for an active boy with the attention span of a gnat.)

You're homeschooling. You don't have to repeat "grade levels."

My very strong recommendation is to refer to your ds as a first grader in the fall, but to work with him according to his academic ability. Unless he has some actual learning disabilities, he will catch up--whatever that means--and when he does, you won't then have to figure out how to skip a grade to put him where he "should" be.

If it helps, we started 1st grade in August and my son turned 7 in October. We did a 1 1/2 of school before that. Going into first his levels were all over the place. He was reading at about 4th grade, Math he was starting 2nd, his writing was horrible even for a Ker, putting a word on paper beside his name was close to impossible for him. He is going into 3rd now and I'm seeing everything evening out to grade level. We are having to slow down in math so he can wrap his brain around the concepts. I suspect by 5th grade he will be doing 5th grade math, which is fine by me.

I debated so much wether to repeat K or not, because I did not do well this past year for K. I tried to combine two different programs and ended up not doing either well, even though my ds was very willing.

I am still very new to this, my oldest is only 6. I wish I had seen all this good advice before I went and bought my curriculum this year. Have any of you used SL 1 with a 6yr old? That is what I got, but now I am second guessing myself. We are just starting our first week. He is using MUS primer though and ARFW A. Do most feel that 5 is young for K? I am just wondering because my ds 4, will be 5 in January and I am trying to decide when is best to start him, he begs for school work and flies through readiness books with the thinking skills, but is slow on motor skills and very short attention span! I had originally thought to make him an early K but am thinking now I wont.

Another thing I am trying to work out with the ages and K is that, I was a prek teacher for a couple of years before I had my own and its been so hard to reprogram myself on what kids need to know and when, my 3yr olds in ps class where doing what I see alot of h/s K's doing. This has been a total change of pace! I am so thankful I get to do this!

Although some are ready, in my experience, I'd say 5 is early for K, especially boys. They do bloom later and they have a genuine need for physical activity which is often not a good companion for "school-type" K, which is where many people start b/c they don't have the confidence or experience to relax their school and wait for their students to be ripe.

I was geared up to start early with my son (a fresh 5), so we started K and it was a disaster. I waited a year (fresh 6) and things were fine for K. That extra year made all the difference.

You will def. have to reprogram your brain from your years as a pre-school teacher. You'll soon come to realize that many things you labored at will come in a matter of minutes, days or weeks with an older child. Reading a book from the Moore's like, School Can Wait, may give you some peace of mind to relax. I can't say I totally follow their practices, but I can say that I agree many things come easier in time, instead of day after day after day after day of working through them.

Keep your SL1 and use it later. Start with some reading and a storylike, gentle approach for history. Explore for science. Crafts for art and handwriting. Have fun! Math can be living. Use the primer, but go slowly and make sure he's learning everything the teacher's manual tells you he should know (the dvds don't cover many tips you'll find in the TM).

Don't rush. It's not a sprint, but a marathon, and the training will make all the difference in a great finish and one that makes the last few miles drag on forever.

:iagree:I think that is one of the benefits of homeschooling, my children don't have to be doing ALL 1st grade work or ALL 3rd grade work. Their grade level is based on their age, and they may very well be doing 2nd grade reading along with 4th grade math while in 3rd grade. Grades don't mean anything in our house, except for when we are out in public and someone asks them what grade they are in. ;) Even in Sunday School I place them in whatever grade I think they will enjoy most and learn the most from.

This makes a lot of sense! Thanks everyone. I still don't know what to do yet. Should I start again with K, or call him a 1st grader and just work at his pace? I didn't do a very good job with him this year since I was sick and pregnant. I hate the fact that I may have to have him "repeat" because of my lack of academics with him. Since the baby was born (will be 12 weeks Sun) and I'm feeling better, we have been truckin along and he's doing really well. I guess I'll re-evaluate him at the end of the summer and see where we are.

How did you know your child was ready? What were you looking for in terms of abilities?

Thanks,

Sandy

Do you have to decide what to call him right now? I have gone through this myself and been relieved to realize that nobody officially needs to know in my state. That gives me time to decide. We just tell friends and family they would be in _____ grade in PS.

Honestly, K & 1 are all about learning to read, write and add/sub. Some children require their "second" grade year too. My rising 3rd grader did not blossom until the middle/end of 2nd grade (whew!)

Being able to sit for a lesson for about 20min. is what I'd be looking for in your rising K/1.

Proper pencil grip is another focus.

You'll progress from single word writing to sentences in this time.

Listening to story time (he may enjoy block building while listening).

Counting will grow to adding.

It seems like a)he's young b) you would have done more, but life dictated otherwise; in this case, I'd go for K :)

Personally, I would rather my ds to be the oldest in their peer group over the youngest every time.

Increase in maturity of vocabulary.

Focus on details instead of basics during discover. I.e.....look at the segments on this worm is understood whereas a pre-K will be more like the worm is simply amazing.

This makes a lot of sense! Thanks everyone. I still don't know what to do yet. Should I start again with K, or call him a 1st grader and just work at his pace? I didn't do a very good job with him this year since I was sick and pregnant. I hate the fact that I may have to have him "repeat" because of my lack of academics with him. Since the baby was born (will be 12 weeks Sun) and I'm feeling better, we have been truckin along and he's doing really well. I guess I'll re-evaluate him at the end of the summer and see where we are.

How did you know your child was ready? What were you looking for in terms of abilities?

Thanks,

Sandy

Re-read the beginning of TWTM. It says something to the tune that most kids in public school K just learn how to stand in line :tongue_smilie: If your child is ready to learn how to read, learn how to work with numbers, learn how to form letters, he is ready for first. Really. :) If you're concerned, just focus on the 3K's this year. Most programs for 1st are very gentle. You don't need to get into history, science, and all that jazz right away. Just focus on the basics, and you'll be fine. :)

I think that there is nothing wrong with holding back your child if you feel that aren't ready. Boy or girl.

With that said. I saw that our academy had 2 levels of grade K and decided to allow my middler to go through both and it's showed to be a good thing. Lastyear she didn't turn 5 until April and we were nearly done with the school year. So she did mostly preschool work. The only thing she did a grade level above that was MEP YR in math. She will be doing Grade K5 this year but 1st grade level math. She's also doing reading in the grade K level finally this year. Last year I had her doing just fun activities to prepare her for reading. Now it's obvious she's ready to read! At first I felt kind of bad that she was doing K again, but she really isn't. She's doing literally a different grade level of work and she will continue to do math a grade level above her standard grade until she no longer needs to do that and we'll go at her pace.

He will still be with his "age mates" if he does K again because many parents don't put their children in K until they are 6.

:iagree: Red-shirting is EXTREMELY common for summer/fall boys. Quite a few of ds's good friends (who attend ps) started K after just turning, or shortly before turning 6.

You're homeschooling. You don't have to repeat "grade levels."

My very strong recommendation is to refer to your ds as a first grader in the fall, but to work with him according to his academic ability. Unless he has some actual learning disabilities, he will catch up--whatever that means--and when he does, you won't then have to figure out how to skip a grade to put him where he "should" be.

:iagree: My boys started first grade just shy of 6yo. They were both more than ready.

First grade at home, even with a full WTM load, is simple, gentle, and doesn't take long. My little guy who just finished first grade never had more than an hour of daily seatwork. Usually it was much less. His need to play, wiggle and stand on his head was not stifled in the slightest. :001_smile:

My son's birthday is at the end of August, and I wish I'd held him back a year. (He's going into 3rd now and he's almost 8.) He's done fine staying up with grade level, and I probably wouldn't change the work load (since we don't really worry too much with grade levels in our homeschool, we just progress as they're ready for new skills), but I think it would be better for him to be older in his grade. I especially think this will be the case when it's time for college. I'd much rather him go to college a week after he turns 19 than a week after he turns 18. I know I could hold him back now, but I worry about the psychology of that since he knows he's a rising 3rd grader. So I say do it now while he's little!

My son's birthday is at the end of August, and I wish I'd held him back a year. (He's going into 3rd now and he's almost 8.) He's done fine staying up with grade level, and I probably wouldn't change the work load (since we don't really worry too much with grade levels in our homeschool, we just progress as they're ready for new skills), but I think it would be better for him to be older in his grade. I especially think this will be the case when it's time for college. I'd much rather him go to college a week after he turns 19 than a week after he turns 18. I know I could hold him back now, but I worry about the psychology of that since he knows he's a rising 3rd grader. So I say do it now while he's little!

:iagree: This is why I held my son back at the K level. I figure if he's really mature for his age in high school, I can always bump him up a grade and graduate him "early".

My son's birthday is in late July. Our state's cut-off birth date for K is August 31. Since DS was born 7 weeks early, he would have been born after the cut-off if he was full-term. (Makes me feel better to think of it that way sometimes.) At any rate, he is a perfectionistic late-bloomer in development and personality...he doesn't do anything until he can do it Very Well. Having a year of Pre-K and a year of K before 1st grade gave him some extra time to get on board academically.

he will catch up--whatever that means--and when he does, you won't then have to figure out how to skip a grade to put him where he "should" be.

Interestingly, the opposite of this is one of the factors that played a role in our deciding to delay 1st. I looked down the road and wanted our ds older when he graduated. For us, not only was an extra year of maturity beneficial for starting first grade, it is also something we desire when ds is ready for college. I have a late October birthday and started K at 4 and college at 17. I was successful, but I definitely would have greatly benefitted from starting a year later on both ends.

:iagree: My boys started first grade just shy of 6yo. They were both more than ready.

First grade at home, even with a full WTM load, is simple, gentle, and doesn't take long. My little guy who just finished first grade never had more than an hour of daily seatwork. Usually it was much less. His need to play, wiggle and stand on his head was not stifled in the slightest. :001_smile:

This.

Is ds looking FORWARD to 1st? Does he care? That makes a difference, too! My ds would have been CRUSHED if I had said he would repeat K. CRUSHED.

The following is all anecdotal and not meant to offend anyone. :) In our family, we have a LONG line of late birthdays, entering K at 4 or early 5, graduating at 17, all highly successful. I also know many who were held behind and became frustrated and bored being the eldest in their class. (Some even had to live with the stigma of being "held back". Everyone knew it, even if it was done early in K, and assumed the person was somehow slow. Not fair, I know. But it wounded them emotionally-- a good friend of mine, a cousin of mine, and a neighbor.) In all fairness, I also talked with a man who wished he'd been held back.... so that he had an advantage in dating girls. :lol: (He's doing very well now, btw, and is happily married. He was a late October b-day.) Can you tell I've talked about this with quite a few people? :D

Now, this isn't ps, it's hs. ;) So many of these issues of being young or old for a class doesn't matter anyway. You meet the child at his level, regardless of age. The child's development is not always linear. One year he may be ahead in math, the other behind. He may start out the year struggling with learning to read, and end reading chapter books -- or not. It's SOOO hard to predict these things!

FWIW, I have a brilliant friend who graduated early and worked/studied in Europe for a year before college. There are plenty of opportunities, even right at home, for the young graduate if you/he feel he's not ready to go on to college. (Remember many people used to enter college at 16!:svengo:)

I like what my old teacher friend (in her late 80's) has to say about it. "If they're able to walk through the door, they're ready for 1st grade." :)

I love homeschooling and the fact that we don't have to do a certain "grade". My son is going in to "third". His spelling skills are horrible - he's in "first grade" spelling books, but he excels in math and is doing "4th grade work". Everything else falls somewhere in between.

I've decided to keep my children in the "grade" they would be in school according to their age. Yes, I said my son was in 1st grade even though he could not read at all and had a terrible time writing just because that was his age group. However, it all worked out and now I have to get on to him for spending hours in the bathroom reading!!

The only time a grade is an issue with us is when we are going to church and they want to know what class he should be in or if we sign up for a field trip and they want to know what grade.

I have expectation that I want my children to know certain skills by the time they are 11 or equivalent to 6th grade. If one of my children is struggling at that time, then I would consider whether that child needed additional tutors/classes or if we needed to slow down and rethink our expectations. Maybe they won't finish highschool courses until later.

I LOVE homescholing and I LOVE that we can work with our children - each one being unique and having wonderful gifts/talents/abilites.

Guest aquiverfull
Repeat. Of all my children (8) only one of 5 boys (so far) was truly ready to move into grade 1 at 6years old. Even then, although academics were possible, that inner "I need to play" was still relevant. Make as much of school as you can hands on, exploratory and fun and move along at a comfortable pace. Make your decisions less on grade level and more on ability. Remember, with many topic areas, he may jump ahead, but then spend a long time seemingly stagnant. That will be okay :) The WORST thing to do is rush and push when not ready. Watch for cues (tears, lack/difference of physical ability vs. mental ability) and play to his strengths. Whether he's a 2nd or 3rd grader later will show itself clearly. For now, there can be a lot of overlap in K/1.

HTH.

:iagree: So far, I've only homeschooled one dd. I didn't have to hold her back. I'm adding in two more this year. One for K (5 yr old)and one for Pre K (4 year old). The Ker is ready, I don't anticipate any problems with her. The Pre K on the other hand really is not. She just likes being included so I'm coming up with some things for her. All that to say, that I'm prepared to do 2 years of Pre K with her or repeating K even. I'm going to wait and see. I don't see any benefit in pushing a child when they are not ready. There is plenty of time to school them. It isn't required that they be finished with school by a certain age.

Edited by aquiverfull

Thanks,

Sandy

My vote: He's "in first grade," and you do with him the academics that he is ready for. Even if he's not quite up to par (whatever that is, whoever it is that decides), he will catch up at some point. He's probably ahead in some areas, not quite that far in others, so why hold him back *on paper*?

Grade levels are artificial groupings of children approximately the same age to make it easier on the teachers. Grade levels have no *real* value. IMHO, as homeschoolers, we put our dc in those groupings because that's how our society works, and we teach our dc what they are capable of learning, regardless of the grade-level label.

I am not waiting with my six year old, but he turns seven in November. If he had a summer or late spring birthday, I probably would. As it is, he really enjoys trying to read and write, so I think he is ready. On the other hand, I did wait on my two girls who had summer birthdays, and who really weren't ready at the time. I haven't regretted it, especially as it means I get one more year with my oldest at home. :) She will be a sophomore - only three more years. :crying:

I really think that this is the beauty of homeschooling...work on his level.

For example, my DD (turning 7 next week...youngest in her class) was in a private school this year for 1st. She does excellent in math and well in reading. However her handwriting, spelling, and language skills were not "up to par". Her teacher wants her to repeat 1st grade.

We've decided to take her out of the school just for this reason. At home, she is able to go on to 2nd grade math, science, reading, etc... But we have that luxury to re-work through her difficulties with spelling and writing. Being a more wiggly child, we also get to work WITH that instead of forcing her to stay seated like in school.

I would mostly take a look at the level of work that your DS is doing. Is he okay with moving forward? Does he just need a little review? Or did he really not pick up on anything from K and should repeat all of it?

Really, 1st grade can still be quite low key at home. Just keep up with the phonics and learning to read, add in addition and subtraction, some handwriting, and the rest of it can be fun. Arts & crafts, nature study, looking at the stars, checking out books of interest from the library, etc...

The beauty of homeschooling is that we don't have to be locked down into a specific grade structure. :)

My second son has been "doing kindergarten" for a while now and we will continue with K in the fall. Perhaps other kids are more aware at this age, but mine really has no clue about PS promotions or that he would be considered to be repeating K. We just don't refer to it that way at all.

I've gone both ways with my first two, so I can appreciate your dilemma. My first son was begging to do school at age 4. I intended to continue organic learning at that age, but he really wanted structure and "real" school, so I started him in Pre-K. We moved into K at 5 and 1st at 6, but he has a June birthday, so he is definitely on the younger end age/grade-wise. Academically, he has always been able to handle the grade level work, but now I am really not loving the idea of him graduating at 17 or just barely 18. But he is very in tune with grade level and would be devastated if I wanted to delay any grade label.

Our second son has a later birthday- end of October, so we didn't even start pre-K until January after he turned 4. Originally, my plan was to start him with pre-K and advance him into K when he was ready and since he would be a little older finish both in a year and a half, which would have had him starting 1st this fall at 5/almost 6. But he has a much different personality, and was not at all ready for such lively pacing. So we've done a year and a half of pre-K and are moving into K this fall. In reality, we are already doing some K-level work, and he will likely be ready for some 1st level, especially in math, later this year. But for this child, working slightly ahead of grade level in some areas is actually ideal, because he needs the ego boost and encouragement. Pushing forward to 1st and playing catchup in other areas would not be a good thing for him. I felt a little guilty about our slower pace with him, but realizing that if he were in public school, he'd just now be starting K makes me feel much better, since he is already beginning to read and do simple arithmetic.

So, even with my academically stronger child, I wish I had gone at a more relaxed pace and stretched out K a bit longer. If you're going to do it, I do think it is much easier to do at this point, and can be done with less awareness on the part of the child than "repeating K." If that makes sense at all.

The beauty of homeschooling is that we don't have to be locked down into a specific grade structure. :)

My second son has been "doing kindergarten" for a while now and we will continue with K in the fall. Perhaps other kids are more aware at this age, but mine really has no clue about PS promotions or that he would be considered to be repeating K. We just don't refer to it that way at all.

So, even with my academically stronger child, I wish I had gone at a more relaxed pace and stretched out K a bit longer. If you're going to do it, I do think it is much easier to do at this point, and can be done with less awareness on the part of the child than "repeating K." If that makes sense at all.

:iagree: Now is the time to do it. I just did a more advanced K the second year with my summer birthday girls. Much of it was probably 1st grade work, with less writing.

Grade levels are artificial groupings of children approximately the same age to make it easier on the teachers. Grade levels have no *real* value. IMHO, as homeschoolers, we put our dc in those groupings because that's how our society works, and we teach our dc what they are capable of learning, regardless of the grade-level label.

I've always wished I could drop the grade level classification, as it does seem senseless for homeschooling. The problem comes, however, when other groups use the grade levels for sorting children. I'm thinking of Sunday School, VBS, youth groups, homeschooling co-ops, outside activities, etc. The consideration of this contributed strongly to our decision to hold back our ds. Although our church doesn't have Sunday School and the like, I knew there'd be other settings where I wanted ds to stay on the younger end of the age groupings. Down the road, I want him to have more time before being exposed to more mature issues.

I've always wished I could drop the grade level classification, as it does seem senseless for homeschooling. The problem comes, however, when other groups use the grade levels for sorting children. I'm thinking of Sunday School, VBS, youth groups, homeschooling co-ops, outside activities, etc. The consideration of this contributed strongly to our decision to hold back our ds. Although our church doesn't have Sunday School and the like, I knew there'd be other settings where I wanted ds to stay on the younger end of the age groupings. Down the road, I want him to have more time before being exposed to more mature issues.

This is exactly why most homeschoolers I have ever known simply call their child the grade he would be in if he attended the local public school system. Find out what age your child would begin school in your state (according to his birthday) and use that for extra-curricular like sports, Sunday school, etc. I can only think of rare intances where this would need to be adjusted (and this is usually when a child has a severe learning disability). Then at home, you simply teach him what he needs to know, when he is able to learn it. I never can quite get the whole "repeat" grades questions. Maybe it is because I was homeschooled. I see many toddlers doing K work, but no one calls them Kindergarteners--and I don't think they continually "repeat" K--they simply keep learning the next thing. I think most people have a check-list of sorts they follow for what a child should learn. Just work through that skill "list" no matter the age. Then to make the child's social life MUCH easier, call them the grade they would be in in your town.

This is exactly why most homeschoolers I have ever known simply call their child the grade he would be in if he attended the local public school system. Find out what age your child would begin school in your state (according to his birthday) and use that for extra-curricular like sports, Sunday school, etc. I can only think of rare intances where this would need to be adjusted (and this is usually when a child has a severe learning disability). Then at home, you simply teach him what he needs to know, when he is able to learn it. I never can quite get the whole "repeat" grades questions. Maybe it is because I was homeschooled. I see many toddlers doing K work, but no one calls them Kindergarteners--and I don't think they continually "repeat" K--they simply keep learning the next thing. I think most people have a check-list of sorts they follow for what a child should learn. Just work through that skill "list" no matter the age. Then to make the child's social life MUCH easier, call them the grade they would be in in your town.

The thing is, finding out the law still leaves the window open. Our state says a child that turns 6 by Feb (might say Jan.) must enroll in K. That means, my little guy who turned 5 in May COULD enroll in K or I can wait a year (which we did). Again, it's a matter of being the youngest or oldest in a group. We prefer the oldest for reasons beyond K-2 schoolwork like those mentioned above. Anyways, the reason its a tough decision is b/c of leeway, b/c its hard to see in the future. Since I lean gentle in early years, I'm generally for letting those youngin' ripen one more year before mandatory school. In the meantime, we school, we just allow that wiggle room that comes from red shirting.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
The thing is, finding out the law still leaves the window open. Our state says a child that turns 6 by Feb (might say Jan.) must enroll in K. That means, my little guy who turned 5 in May COULD enroll in K or I can wait a year (which we did). Again, it's a matter of being the youngest or oldest in a group. We prefer the oldest for reasons beyond K-2 schoolwork like those mentioned above. Anyways, the reason its a tough decision is b/c of leeway, b/c its hard to see in the future. Since I lean gentle in early years, I'm generally for letting those youngin' ripen one more year before mandatory school. In the meantime, we school, we just allow that wiggle room that comes from red shirting.

:iagree:

This is a good point. And I hope my post didn't sound mean--that was not my intention! I have just seen this issue stress Moms out so much at times. I also tend toward the later start "on paper". My husband has pretty strong feelings about this as well as he was skipped up a grade in elementary. He needed the mental challenges of the higher grade, but he had to endure the social disadvantages of being the youngest, smallest, etc. boy in class (things that mattered to a little boy). When it came to things like playing baseball with other boys, he firmly believed that those on the older end of the spectrum were more confident, etc. and definitely had the advantage. But all of that said, teach to your child where he is and don't get too hung up on the grade level of his school books. And even if your child is "repeating" K, don't hesitate to begin any 1st grade work he might be ready for. At the same time, if a 7yo can do 4th grade math it doesn't necessarily mean he should play on the 4th grade baseball team.:001_smile:

Edited by Amie
typo

Not to confuse things, but actually, this is the opposite of our desires. If we had called our son what he would be, according to our school cut-off, he would be going into 3rd. We intentionally called him 2nd, because socially, we didn't want him with 3rd graders so soon. For example, in our homeschooling co-op, the grade divisions are 1-2 and 3-4. Because he is called a 2nd grader, we can keep him with 1st graders another year. If we had called him a 3rd grader, he'd been lumped with 4th graders. We didn't want that. Down the road, we'll also get another year before he's exposed to typical middle school discussions. For college, we wanted another year of maturity under his belt. Hope this makes sense. :001_smile:

I don't think this is "opposite". :confused: Maybe see my second post above. I think what grade you call them depends entirely up to you and how you plan to use those grades (like in your co-op). For most homeschoolers I have known it is usually easier to go along with peers (and for many that would be the public school system in your area). So for example, if church functions are a big deal for you and all of your sons friends who are about the same age will be in the same classes because of grade (instead of age), then you probably want to stick with the average.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a child being called a first grader at an older age. And yes, it gives you plenty of room on the backside of things (highschool/college)--you can always let a child finish early if he is able, but you have plenty of time if he doesn't.

Edited by Amie

I think you've made an excellent point, Amie. For instance, my daughter just turned 10 this week. She could be a 5th grader, but I am calling her a fourth grader. We basically did a year of K, then a year of more "advanced" K and some first, then I called her a first grader after she turned seven. She was a very physically active little girl,and not that interested in seat work when she was 6. Now she has caught up, and I will actually be doing a lot of 5th grade work with her, but I am still calling her a 4th grader. It will mean she will graduate at 18 and leave for college at barely 19, instead of graduating at 17. I like that better - especially if she goes far away for college. Plus, it makes it easier to fit in some more advanced classes in high school like calculus or an advanced science or two (she wants to be a vet).

Edited by Jugglin'5

Thanks so much everyone! You have given me so much to think about. I have to say, I am still undecided. I think i'll wait until Sept when we are required to send in DOI's to the county. I'll see how he does the rest of the summer. At this point, I am really thinking he may do better with another year of "advanced k".

Thanks,

Sandy

Like many of the above posters my 6 y/o is ready for "first grade" work in some areas and not in others. In math he's working at a 2nd grade level. But, he still needs lots of play and very short "book work" times. His attention span is still very short for bookwork. I'm just fine with that. He's very immature overall, but really a bright kid. I'm not going to hold him back academically where he's ready, but I'm not going to put overall expectations on him that are just too much for him. I've actually lowered a couple expectations that were too high for him in K... he's much happier in those areas! :001_smile:

On the other hand... my upcoming K'er (who will just turn 5 the end of August) has an attention span to beat the band! He is more mature than his 6 y/o brother in a lot of ways! Go figure...:001_huh:

If in doubt... I'd hold him back "officially". In our state we only need to report until they are 16... you'd have room on the backside to speed him up if he's advanced when he's older... I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do with my littlest who turns 5 at the end of Aug.

Thanks,

Sandy

I just kept on with what we had been doing. Each subject moves independently. Getting ready to slide into homeplate for the end of 2nd grade, he has gone from being far ahead in math, somewhat ahead in HW, far ahead in science understanding, and somewhat behind in reading, to be much more "grade on" for all subjects. I'm glad I kept going despite him being a late reader.

I am following the words in the WTM about "being ready for 5th grade work in all subjects by the end of 4th grade" or something like that. Before that, I'm not worrying about grades, except I tell him he's in X so he can answer the inevitable question...