Menu

RS4K: How to plan the year?

bookmomma

If you have used RS4K, how do you plan? I would like to fit the lessons into Tues/Thursday schedule for about an hour, but there seems to be so much to do. This will be my 1st year using real science 4 kids, chemistry, level I. I plan to also incorporate the language and history kogs and spread the lessons over an entire year of schooling (about 1 chapter per 2 weeks?) so they can really get a grip on the info and vocab. Boys will be grades 3 and 5.

Any hints and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Maybe it's not as hard as I'm thinking?

There are 10 chapters... so you could possibly do one for three or four weeks.

1. My kids do their own reading around here (except the little one-I read the text to him) and space it out over a week or so.
  2. I add library books or videos on the topic.
  3. Then we get together to do the experiment. Oldest will do a lab report independently.

(I tend to add a bunch to RS4K, but I don't use all the Kogs. Maybe it's the Kogs that take the most time?)

After our Apologia Botany I will be using Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry the pre level and level 1. My game plan is to use it twice a week like with the Apologia. Day 1 is reading/narriation of lessons and Day 2 is the experiments/projects. If I am able to find library books related to the subject yippie skippie but it's slim pickins here and we just been going thru our books without adding much outside books. I am also using MFW's but we like science so Real Science 4 Kids is our extra science.