Menu

It's heeeerre!! Movie list for SOTW volume 2 w/ links to Netflix

Macrina

Guest Alte Veste Academy
You, madam, are awesome!

:iagree: Thank you so much for sharing all your hard work.

I have often thought that if a handful of hard workers each covered one aspect of history (movies, music, poetry, art, scientific discoveries, etc.), the Hive could put out the best supplements to SOTW ever.

I followed your link and discovered all the amazing things on your site for SOTW. Thank you so much for sharing all of it.

I've never considered doing a lapbook for SOTW. I like that it appeared to be a good solid summary.

What generosity to share so much of your work.

You rock!! Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us. Are you planning on doing SOTW 3 movie list as well? I would be glad to help.

Not till summer of 2011 :( But we'll get there! Lapbook for SOTW 2 will be next. All SOTW 2 until 2011.

You know, over the past 2 days I was feeling rather scattered with my planning for SOTW 1 for the coming fall. I was all over the place with projects and trying to find a timeline and all that. Just looked through your resources page on your blog. So awesome! Thank you so much! You have really helped me to feel more focused.

Thank you for sharing all of your hard work! This is such a blessing to those of us that are not nearly as organized in our planning! This will be a great supplement to our history plans for next year (we're doing Biblioplan, which uses SOTW as a spine).

You are AMAZING!!!!! I want to be just like you when I grow up!!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work (which I'm sure you consider "fun"!!!)!!!! You are such a blessing to so many people who either don't have the time, or the organizational skills to do what you have done!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your hard work. I am curious, however, as to why the film *Amadeus* is in the section for the Renaissance.

Daughter: 9; Singapore Primary Mathematics 3B; Story of the World Level 3; Writing Strands 3; Spelling Workout Level D; Science experiment books recommended in WTM; WWE3

Son: 6: First Language Lessons Level 2; Singapore Primary Mathematics 1B; general handwriting practice and reading practice; SOTW 1; WWE 1; Science experiment books recommended in WTM

Fantastic!!!! We're doing the Middle Ages this year with SOTW 2! Thank you so much!!! I'm sending you many virtual kisses!!!!

ETA: I saw that the list has the TV series Rome (seasons 1 and 2 listed). It does have it listed as MA, but I'm really, really shocked to see this on the list. James Bond and I loved the series, but no way would I let a kid, even a teen watch this. It is bloody and really, really dirty. Loads of cursing, sex (orgies), nudity, rape, homosexuality, torture, etc. Like I said, we loved it, but it is not for kids, and I'm really surprised that it made the list.

Edited by Mom in High Heels

ETA: I saw that the list has the TV series Rome (seasons 1 and 2 listed). It does have it listed as MA, but I'm really, really shocked to see this on the list. James Bond and I loved the series, but no way would I let a kid, even a teen watch this. It is bloody and really, really dirty. Loads of cursing, sex (orgies), nudity, rape, homosexuality, torture, etc. Like I said, we loved it, but it is not for kids, and I'm really surprised that it made the list.

I have never tried to make decisions as to what "should" and "shouldn't" be on the list. It is just a list of movies that apply to the subject matter. There is no age suggestion on the list. On my blog I state: "Also, movies, books, websites and other links on this blog may not be appropriate for all families and children. Especially in the movie lists I have listed ALL movies I have found pertaining to the subject of study, including R rated and UR movies. Please take this into consideration when making your choices."

If I start excluding some because there are MA, then where do I stop? Some parents let their kids watch PG-13, some can only watch G. I include all the movies I can find and expect parents to make their own educated decisions.

And some parents like to watch movies on their own about the studied subject matter.

Thanks for your concern.

I have never tried to make decisions as to what "should" and "shouldn't" be on the list. It is just a list of movies that apply to the subject matter. There is no age suggestion on the list. On my blog I state: "Also, movies, books, websites and other links on this blog may not be appropriate for all families and children. Especially in the movie lists I have listed ALL movies I have found pertaining to the subject of study, including R rated and UR movies. Please take this into consideration when making your choices."

If I start excluding some because there are MA, then where do I stop? Some parents let their kids watch PG-13, some can only watch G. I include all the movies I can find and expect parents to make their own educated decisions.

And some parents like to watch movies on their own about the studied subject matter.

Thanks for your concern.

I absolutely understand that. However, SOTW is generally written for a young audience and I thought I'd add what I know from watching the series (really we loved it, but wouldn't ever let Indy watch it). Please don't think I was judging you in any manner. It is of course up to the parents, but the cover certainly doesn't tell you how in depth the violence and nudity is, so I thought I'd explain. At one point Mark Antony says he "refuse to get out of bed until [he's] f***ed someone." Attia looks at one of the slaves and tell them to "go get the German slut from the kitchen" and the next scene shows the German girl on top of him while everyone stands around watching and waiting for him to finish so they can go...wherever it is they needed to go.

In another episode Attia (Julius Caesar's niece and mother of Augustus) is sending a gift to another woman. The gift is a naked slave painted gold with a big bow around his ridiculously huge "business." You get a very detailed view of the bow. James Bond nearly fell out of his chair.

The violence is also incredibly graphic. Graphic enough that I had to turn away several times (I don't like violence).

Having said that though, James Bond and I really enjoyed the series. The plot line was well laid out and the characters were amazing. Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevens who play the leads were amazing.