Menu

Anyone willing to share photos of their wall timeline?

I would like to use our wall (about 12 feet wide) for a history timeline. We just started with Ancient History and have been adding figures to our Wonders of Old Timeline book. However, seeing a timeline on a wall from several feet away might help a 5-year old see history better than from a book. I bought clothespins and can probably find some rope somewhere in the house, but now what? We have a picture railing a foot below our ceiling if that helps with ideas. If anyone is willing to share photos, I would really love to see them. Thank you.

You can see ours in our blog with our school area photos. It is meant to be horizontal but I had to place it vertically after we moved and I have now taken it down and we stick the figures and just roll it back since I had to use the wall for something else. I made the timeline myself, working it out so that we can fit the timeline figures from SL's Core K. I only intended to use a wall timeline for this year because I felt that my son would get a better idea of how a timeline works seeing everything together and it has worked great for us. This school year coming up I am making my own notebook timeline that I wish to use with my son for grades 1-12 (I will be using the Timeline Creator software this time around though) and I am hoping to proceed in the same way with the younger one when he is old enough. So anyway, like I said, I checked to see what timeline figures we were going to use and then made the time periods accordingly so some pages have 1000 years on them while others have two, depending on how many figures I needed to fit on them. I ended up using 11 pages of cardstock and laminated the back so that it can also be rolled and stored. I used yellow cardstock to give it more of an older/ aged look and made a strip at the top in two different colors for BC and AD. When we are done I will also laminate the front and save it as a keepsake for my son. HTH.

I don't have a picture, but we use the Konos Wall Timeline. and the Konos Timeline Figures (we only have American History and Explorers on it so far.) THis year we're doing the Ancients. Yes, our sequence is tad messed up! LOL HTH! Nan

http://www.konos.com/histheroes/timelinechart.htm

One of my friends uses this as well. Is it easier for a younger child (early elm.) to see a big one on the wall vs. a time line book like SL's?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Here is a site I found recently with great clip art that can be used for timelines. The "Famous People" link has loads of people categorized alphabetically.

Oh my word. Thank you so much for this! This is about the best timeline help I've ever seen, and I bought the full set of HTTA timeline figures!

I know this site. It's great but it only has American History figures and starts from AD 1492. The HTTA timeline figures are still a worthwhile purchase I feel ;). We will be getting them this fall :).

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I know this site. It's great but it only has American History figures and starts from AD 1492. The HTTA timeline figures are still a worthwhile purchase I feel ;). We will be getting them this fall :).

Oh, absolutely, the HTTA figures are better than worthwhile! They're fabulous! I would definitely still make the purchase but for those who can't afford the HTTA images, this site is a wonderful resource. (Even for those of us who did buy it, there are likely to be some gaps for odds and ends we want to cover that are not included in HTTA. I know I have found a few.) I guess I should have said this was the best free clipart/timeline resource I've seen. I'm truly impressed. It's not just American history though. If you click on the different continents, you will find hundreds (maybe thousands) of historic images from all over the world. HTTA definitely wins the prize for chronology and a search feature though! :001_smile:

ETA: Hey, there is a search function!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Oh, absolutely, the HTTA figures are better than worthwhile! They're fabulous! I would definitely still make the purchase but for those who can't afford the HTTA images, this site is a wonderful resource. (Even for those of us who did buy it, there are likely to be some gaps for odds and ends we want to cover that are not included in HTTA. I know I have found a few.) I guess I should have said this was the best free clipart/timeline resource I've seen. I'm truly impressed. It's not just American history though. If you click on the different continents, you will find hundreds (maybe thousands) of historic images from all over the world. HTTA definitely wins the prize for chronology and a search feature though! :001_smile:

ETA: Hey, there is a search function!

Definitely an amazing website, especially considering the fact that it is free. I hadn't visited the site in a while. I just checked out the Countries and Regions and just found that they have 1,100 figures for Greece :hurray: , over 700 for Rome and just over 100 for Egypt. Looks like I will be using both from now on :D. Thank you for pointing out the continents section and search engine function. I don't think I had looked in that section before.

I love time line ideas.

I can't share photos of our time line, well, because we don't have one right now. :) We took a break from homescooling, but will start back up this fall and will be producing many time lines.

That said, we are currently (as I type this) in Athens, Greece visiting all of the Ancient sights and I saw a wonderful time line in the Athens Archaeological Museum yesterday. I snapped some photos of it so I could share it here.

This particular time line was broken down into three categories and lined up so you could compare what was going on in the local town (Eretria, which is what this special exhibition was all about), all of Greece and the Mediterranean. Above the time lines, they have a long brass rod and they had a few cords hanging on rings (so you could slide them along the rod) with a weight at the bottom. You could easily move the cords so that you could visually line up the events happening on all 3 time lines. I'm going to try and do something like this on our time line wall this fall.

Here are the photos:

931885045_K8349-M.jpg

931885103_ZnXFi-M.jpg

931885175_mPHoi-M.jpg

931885152_DPkRT-M.jpg

I love time line ideas.

I can't share photos of our time line, well, because we don't have one right now. :) We took a break from homescooling, but will start back up this fall and will be producing many time lines.

That said, we are currently (as I type this) in Athens, Greece visiting all of the Ancient sights and I saw a wonderful time line in the Athens Archaeological Museum yesterday. I snapped some photos of it so I could share it here.

This particular time line was broken down into three categories and lined up so you could compare what was going on in the local town (Eretria, which is what this special exhibition was all about), all of Greece and the Mediterranean. Above the time lines, they have a long brass rod and they had a few cords hanging on rings (so you could slide them along the rod) with a weight at the bottom. You could easily move the cords so that you could visually line up the events happening on all 3 time lines. I'm going to try and do something like this on our time line wall this fall.

Oh that is soo... cool! Thank you for posting these :D. I wish I had the space to also make a wall timeline. We really enjoyed it this year but I want the boys to have individual binder ones where they can add or take out and I want it to take them through their years of homeschooling (hopefully all at home).

I hope you are having fun there. I am Greek and lived there for several years with my family. When we wanted to go to that museum it was closed for renovations for the Olympics and we didn't get the chance to go back. I would have loved to see that timeline and we are big fans of Archeological sites. I have plenty of pics and video recordings from Ancient Olympia and a few other sites including the museum at the Ancient Olympia grounds. By the way Eretria is on the island of Evia. My father's family is from those parts :D. You can see a map of the island in the link below. You can just cross the bridge at Chalkida and be there in a short time. We vacationed there with hubby one summer just before I got pregnant with my oldest.

http://www.greece-map.net/evia.htm

OOOH how cool! I would love to take our dc on a trip like this!

HAHA, I dont think I have enough wall space to do one like that though! :)

I love time line ideas.

Here are the photos:

931885045_K8349-M.jpg

931885103_ZnXFi-M.jpg

931885175_mPHoi-M.jpg

931885152_DPkRT-M.jpg

• 1 month later...
I am very interested in seeing photos of wall time lines, too. I am stumped as to how to start!

There's a pic of ours in our blog taken in our new schoolroom but here's a pic of when we had it horizontally in our old schoolroom.

[ATTACH]3118[/ATTACH]

I mentioned briefly in a previous post how I made it. I made ours very simple because I made it to use only for K with SL Core K. I am now in the process of making a notebook type for my son, which he will use for grades 1-12 and will do the same with my youngest when his turn comes.

ETA: You can see it on the wall to the right of the picture.

Here's our timeline from when we did SOTW 2.

Would you mind telling me how you print your figures from HTTA? Are you using the CD-Roms? I just got the CD-Roms and I am copy pasting the figures in a new document in order to print only the ones I want but I end up having to re-size them and the text. It is getting very irritating considering I just paid $74.95 for it. I love the figures and the text that comes with them but I am not amused with all the work I have to do. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Guest

Would you mind telling me how you print your figures from HTTA? Are you using the CD-Roms? I just got the CD-Roms and I am copy pasting the figures in a new document in order to print only the ones I want but I end up having to re-size them and the text. It is getting very irritating considering I just paid $74.95 for it. I love the figures and the text that comes with them but I am not amused with all with all the work I have to do. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, I have the CDS. I just printed the pages for the time period we were using. I cut out the ones I wanted to use and recycled the cut up page. I never had to resize anything. HTH!

Yes, I have the CDS. I just printed the pages for the time period we were using. I cut out the ones I wanted to use and recycled the cut up page. I never had to resize anything. HTH!

I cram as many as I can of the ones I want on a page because I will be printing on paper used for labels. It is thicker and I just want Adrian to be able to remove the back and stick. I don't want to waste paper since they are not as cheap as just plain paper so I guess I will have to keep sizing :(. Thank you for your reply though :).

Would you mind telling me how you print your figures from HTTA? Are you using the CD-Roms? I just got the CD-Roms and I am copy pasting the figures in a new document in order to print only the ones I want but I end up having to re-size them and the text. It is getting very irritating considering I just paid $74.95 for it. I love the figures and the text that comes with them but I am not amused with all with all the work I have to do. Am I doing something wrong?

I found it helpful to make a table in my word processing program with cells about the size I wanted my figures to be and then "paste" them into the table cells. The program resized them automatically to fit in the table cells. Some of them still needed to be tweaked a bit (which then involved changing the "wrap" setting so they'd sit on top of the table rather than inside the cell, but I liked that better than having to resize ALL of them). HTH

I found it helpful to make a table in my word processing program with cells about the size I wanted my figures to be and then "paste" them into the table cells. The program resized them automatically to fit in the table cells. Some of them still needed to be tweaked a bit (which then involved changing the "wrap" setting so they'd sit on top of the table rather than inside the cell, but I liked that better than having to resize ALL of them). HTH

Oh... thank you :D! I hadn't even though of that. My fix for now was opening text boxes and putting them in there. Most of the time when I do that now they come out much smaller. Sometimes they still enlarge but for the most part they don't, although I do size them a little more sometimes even after that. I still need to size the text but this has been a little more manageable since I saved my first sheet as a template and I just delete the previous ones and add the new ones and then save. It is also providing guidelines for cutting. I think this should give the notebook a neat look :). I am also finding that I prefer making them a little larger than the notebook size so I am feeling a little better about having to size them now. Since I am making the notebook in binder format I can add pages and the binder I got is 3" so there should be plenty of room. I hope ;)! I will try putting them in tables. This might work even better and save even more space.

Thanks again,

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to come back to this because I posted out of frustration the last time about the HTTA timeline figures. I realized afterwards that it is not really Homeschool in the Woods' problem have I have chosen to use the figures so I should not have been upset with having to size them. Anyway, I did try the idea of using table cells but it did not work with what I had in mind because each of my figures is coming slightly different in size and shape after I make my changes. I want the figures to be large enough for Adrian to color without them getting all scribbled so I am still using textboxes. I am almost done with the SOTW Vol 1 figures (thank you once again to the ladies that posted the list on the forums here with the pages they are found in on the HTTA CD-Roms :D) and after printing the first pages on sticker paper I have to say I am very very pleased with the results. I just had to come here and say that ;).