Menu

S/O MB personality--poll for INTROVERTS

Myers-Briggs Personality Types (for INTROVERTS)  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Myers-Briggs Personality Types (for INTROVERTS)

• ISTJ: The Duty Fullfillers
    • ISFJ: The Nurturers
    • ISTP: The Mechanics
    • ISFP: The Artists
    • INTJ: The Scientists
    • INTP: The Thinkers
    • INFJ: The Protectors
    • INFP: The Idealists

I'm shocked by the # of INTJs. I don't think I've ever met another one irl, but then, I guess that's why I love it here. (Maybe. I've always assumed I wouldn't like someone like me, lol!)

Me too! I've always wondered why I felt so "at home" here - maybe because I'm finally talking to other INTJs?

Does TWTM/Classical Education attract INTJs, I wonder?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to change personality types? :tongue_smilie: When I took Meyers-Brigg test back in college I was INFP/ENFP and now after reviewing the personality profile really feel that I am more INFJ? Is that possible?

Diane

I have made the same exact change! I took it in high school and was INFP. Now I test as INFJ.

Is it possible to change personality types? :tongue_smilie: When I took Meyers-Brigg test back in college I was INFP/ENFP and now after reviewing the personality profile really feel that I am more INFJ? Is that possible?

Diane

The research says no more than you could change your eye color...BUT, as you mature, you become more comfortable with 'adjusting' your style appropriately for the social situation, e.g. 'turning off' your sensitive side when you visit with 'the boorish' uncle-in-law at Sunday dinner. Also, adapting or adjusting your style requires energy input, whereas your 'natural' inclination is an 'energy-free' state.

But I won't argue with someone that makes the claim that they've changed...maybe they have...

Extroverts:

But do they spend much time on online forums?

(Introverts like to socialize online where we don't have to leave the house and actually mix with people a lot, so it's no surprise to me there are more of them in this forum. :001_smile:)

:iagree:

I have noticed more N's on this forum than any other.

Lack of sleep? ;)

:D I'm well rested today and not feeling the J.

Seriously though, I'm thinking it's because dd is getting older and academically she seems to thrive better if we schedule things a more. She has two planners, a general one that gives an overview and a spiral that details the day. I know. She's the J. Duh. I'm just at her mercy.

Hopefully the baby will stay a P. :D

I hope I'm keeping my letters straight.

while I do need some alone time, I definitely get recharged from being around people. I do have a lot of introvert qualities too, though.

But what sort of interaction recharges you? I'm a typical Capricorn, if I'm grumpy, blabbing it everywhere makes me feel better. If I'm in a particularly boisterously good mood, blabbing that everywhere brings me back down to something a bit calmer. If I'm happily mooching along between the extremes, I don't particularly need anyone and don't need to blab on about it. If I think about this too much, I find myself obnoxious...

Rosie

I'm an INTJ, married to an Ixxx (seriously, dh has scored smack dab in the center of the S/N, T/F, and P/J on multiple tests :tongue_smilie:), from a family of introverts (mom is an ISTJ, dad is an INTP, and my sis is an INTJ like me ;).)

I had a (ultimately temporary) type change in college - I went from an INTJ to an INFJ. At the time I thought I was just growing up, but in retrospect I think it was due to being seriously depressed, as the change to INFJ started around the time my depression started in earnest and my change back to INTJ happened around the time I (finally!) started feeling like my old self again. (What does it say about me that I took enough personality tests over the years that I was able to chronicle that? :lol:) I learned something from my sojourn on the F side, though - I have a far greater respect for emotions, now, and I understand people better (though growing up probably helps account for the latter, too ;)).

Edited by forty-two

Just this evening at a cookout, my DH and brother had a disagreement and they had words. My DH left, and I told my brother he was out of line (he was). He turned to me and said-

'Why don't you go back to your Hermit Hole?'.

:crying:

I gave a brisk reply and promptly left. Those words are still sitting like a stone on my heart!

Just this evening at a cookout, my DH and brother had a disagreement and they had words. My DH left, and I told my brother he was out of line (he was). He turned to me and said-

I gave a brisk reply and promptly left. Those words are still sitting like a stone on my heart!

;) I bet your "Hermit Hole" is nicely decorated with book cases and has comfier chairs than his Bleating Box.

Rosie

Well, I don't want to pick a fight (because I'm not an ENTP anymore :D) but if you are only ever one type, then why would it necessarily be true that you would always be the type from your first test. ENTPs like to argue for the sake of argument and extroverts get energy from other people. Those two qualities are not true of me anymore but they were very true of me when I was 21 and took the test. I can explain it too. With an alcoholic dad who liked to make others feel stupid and small, my ENTP nature developed and was protective. I was the only one to come out of my family with self-respect. I was an extrovert because it was life outside my family that provided an energizing escape. Then I met DH--quiet, gentle, loving--and I have lived a different life. I have no more need of a hard outer shell, no need to escape into others all the time, no need to make everything funny. Yes, circumstances have changed and I am different. So why is the ENTP the real type forever instead of who I am now? It makes no sense to me.

People with difficult childhoods can be very hard to type because so many of their personality traits are often just coping mechanisms. My husband has been very difficult to nail down and I'm still not 100% sure of his type. One of two things happened with you; either you answered the questions according to your true nature when you were young and since then maturation has taken place, or you mistook coping mechanisms for natural preferences. I would argue that learning to develop our less developed aspects of our personalities is a working definition of maturity (of course I would...I'm an ENTP :)

There are a few ways you can nail down your type. Go take an MBTI for children and answer from memory it as if you were the child. I have one, but Firefox is being stupid and won't let me get into my bookmarks. ETA: Here it is: Personality Questionnaire for Kids Another way is to read about shadow types. Your shadow type is the opposite of your natural type. So the shadow of an ENTP would be an ISFJ. The shadow comes out in a twisted, negative way under intense stress. Google the two types you could be with the word "shadow" attached and see which fits you.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

:(

Very mean...hope you don't let it get to you too long...

Sometimes I refer to our 'hermit hole' as a 'rabbit' hole...harmless, till you try sticking your arm down into it!:sneaky2:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
People with difficult childhoods can be very hard to type because so many of their personality traits are often just coping mechanisms. My husband has been very difficult to nail down and I'm still not 100% sure of his type. One of two things happened with you; either you answered the questions according to your true nature when you were young and since then maturation has taken place, or you mistook coping mechanisms for natural preferences. I would argue that learning to develop our less developed aspects of our personalities is a working definition of maturity (of course I would...I'm an ENTP :)

There are a few ways you can nail down your type. Go take an MBTI for children and answer from memory it as if you were the child. I have one, but Firefox is being stupid and won't let me get into my bookmarks. ETA: Here it is: Personality Questionnaire for Kids Another way is to read about shadow types. Your shadow type is the opposite of your natural type. So the shadow of an ENTP would be an ISFJ. The shadow comes out in a twisted, negative way under intense stress. Google the two types you could be with the word "shadow" attached and see which fits you.

Barb

Thanks for the link. That was very interesting! I thought it would be a stretch to try to remember what I felt as a child but the questions were pretty easy to answer based on memory. It only gave me three letters and I came out ETJ. I was definitely an extrovert as a child and teen and, yes, I agree that it was probably because the world made me feel great and my family not so much... I definitely test INTJ now though, and the description fits me perfectly.

What people are saying about adapting to situations and and answering differently based on your current lifestyle makes sense. I'll take the test again in 20 years. :001_smile:

Hmm, I wonder if we will have more introverts on this board than extroverts. So far Mrs. Mungo and I are the only extroverts who've responded. Or maybe the extroverts are all still out celebrating while the introverts recover :D.

I am "I" by only a slight percent. That is even worse than being solidly in either camp. I can do and enjoy lots of "E" things, but when I need that recovery time, people wonder what's wrong... I am constantly having to remind dh that despite my demonstrated E-ness, I am still an "I" at heart.

As for the INTJ being the Scientist, I have to say I am more like another description given to this type, the Rational Mastermind. Strategic planning is my thing.

INFJ, too, though last time I took the test I was borderline J/P.

The first time I took the test then read the description of an INFJ just about bowled me over. It was extraordinary to see myself defined in small print in a book, as if someone had found out the secret to how I was wired.

Fascinating, too, how many of us INFJs are here, considering it is the most rare type. But, not surprsing that we all are quite comfortable expressing ourselves in print!

This is me, too. :D

Okay, reading the description makes me sure... INTP.

They typically are so strongly driven to turn problems into logical explanations, that they live much of their lives within their own heads, and may not place as much importance or value on the external world. INTPs value knowledge above all else. Their minds are constantly working to generate new theories, or to prove or disprove existing theories. They approach problems and theories with enthusiasm and skepticism, ignoring existing rules and opinions and defining their own approach to the resolution. They seek patterns and logical explanations for anything that interests them. They're usually extremely bright, and able to be objectively critical in their analysis. They love new ideas, and become very excited over abstractions and theories. They love to discuss these concepts with others. They may seem "dreamy" and distant to others, because they spend a lot of time inside their minds musing over theories. They hate to work on routine things - they would much prefer to build complex theoretical solutions, and leave the implementation of the system to others. They are intensely interested in theory, and will put forth tremendous amounts of time and energy into finding a solution to a problem with has piqued their interest.
Makes us sound pretty useless, but I have to admit that it fits.:001_huh:

:001_wub:

Thank you gang, for the words of support. I adore my Hermit Hole. :D It definitey has comfy chairs, lots of books, and cuddly pets to snuggle up with.

I am not into chit chatty talk, going out to 'party', or restaurants all the time (I do them once in a while, but find it stressful rather than enjoyable, usually).

I would say both of my brothers and definitely my father are extroverts. I am very much like my mother. They think we are strange. I think they are strange. No apology from him yet.

:tongue_smilie:

It is cool to see many other introverts on here. :D

• 2 years later...

ISTP ~ 2 different free online tests, so not the real thing. Haven't taken the real thing since my senior year in HS & I don't remember the results. DH is ENTP.

Introverted (I) 84.38% Extroverted (E) 15.63%

Sensing (S) 65.85% Intuitive (N) 34.15%

Thinking (T) 59.46% Feeling (F) 40.54%

Perceiving (P) 59.52% Judging (J) 40.48%

Your type is: ISTP

ISTP - "Engineer". Values freedom of action and following interests and impulses. Independent, concise in speech, master of tools. 5.4% of total population.

I have always scored INFP, but my P/J scores are usually pretty close, and both describe me well, depending on the situation.

Cat

I'm an INTJ, married to an Ixxx (seriously, dh has scored smack dab in the center of the S/N, T/F, and P/J on multiple tests :tongue_smilie:), from a family of introverts (mom is an ISTJ, dad is an INTP, and my sis is an INTJ like me ;).)

I had a (ultimately temporary) type change in college - I went from an INTJ to an INFJ. At the time I thought I was just growing up, but in retrospect I think it was due to being seriously depressed, as the change to INFJ started around the time my depression started in earnest and my change back to INTJ happened around the time I (finally!) started feeling like my old self again. (What does it say about me that I took enough personality tests over the years that I was able to chronicle that? :lol:) I learned something from my sojourn on the F side, though - I have a far greater respect for emotions, now, and I understand people better (though growing up probably helps account for the latter, too ;)).

The book "Was That Really Me?: How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality" explains what happens to each type under stress. That might explain it, it is very interesting.

OK, I just now realized this was an old thread...but I do find MBTI types a fascinating topic. The extroverts are all out talking to actual people, as was mentioned on the extrovert thread.

I do think that Ns are more drawn to the classical method. In another MBTI poll of WTM members (2008? 2009?) I think there were also a few more SJs. Traditionalists who wanted a time honored method, perhaps.

My husband and I are both N's...we had a very smart N friend who went to Oxford, his education there sounded fascinating to both of us. Here is a bit about it, the "tutorial system."

I tested years ago with these results:

I = virtually no E

S/N = a tie

F = virtually no T

J = more weighted toward J, but also quite a pit of P

When I was younger, and a real people pleaser, I was more ISFJ.

The older I get, the more INFJ I have become.

I attribute that to becoming more sure in who I am, and also due to the flexibility I've learned through parenting/homeschooling a child who is significantly different in personality and temperament, and who is a real out-of-the-box thinker.

I'm married to an INTP, and have children who are: ISTJ and one I can't quite figure out. ;)

Okay, I am game!

I am always INT but the P and J switch around on multiple takes. Most recent was INTJ so I voted for that.

This is me, but I tend a bit more towards P (normally 2 out of 3 times I end up P, and the other 1 time I end up J), so I voted that. I also just realized how old this was, but since I had already voted, I figured I'd post too.

I usually end up with the Es but today I got slightly on the I side. I voted ISFJ which is what I got today. I think that is because I do not like large groups, and I am starting to yearn for more quiet/alone times because I have little ones around me all day. The last time I took this test was in premarital counseling. I was so much more adventurous, social, and carefree at that time. Now I am....tired.

Also, the I, S, F, and J were all slightly to moderate. So I am just kinda in the middle!

And another INFJ here! (married to an ENTP for variety!)

I used to waver between the F and the T (especially when I was out working in a male-dominated field), but the older I get, the more pronounced my F side becomes.

I love how it's such a rare type, but these boards are full of us!

I'm an INFJ married to an ENTP, too.

I get a different type each time I take the test. Well, I'm always Introverted. That's never in question. But I voted INTP. That's what I got the first time I took the test, and it seems to fit me the best. I love the "fence building" descriptions from this page: http://famoustype.com/functions.htm

And here is the description for the four functions that make up an INTP personality (it fits me to a T--right down to subconsciously worrying what everyone else will think of my fence):

Ne - I want to design the fence.

Si - I’ll take care of looking at the instructions and making sure that we follow the established guidlines.

Ti - I want to analyze the structure and placement of the fence.

Fe - How will it affect the neighborhood, and what will the neighbors think?

Okay I put in what I was in college, INFP, then thought I'd take the test again. I have definitely changed a lot, ISTP now. There is no more of that putting feelings before knowledge stuff. Maybe because I have a lot more knowledge as a middle aged person than a college student! And I definitely have lost my intuitive side, I think years of childrearing makes one a lot more practical. Anyway, I don't think these things are "hard wired" except the extrovert/introvert part.

INFJ, too, though last time I took the test I was borderline J/P.

The first time I took the test then read the description of an INFJ just about bowled me over. It was extraordinary to see myself defined in small print in a book, as if someone had found out the secret to how I was wired.

Fascinating, too, how many of us INFJs are here, considering it is the most rare type. But, not surprsing that we all are quite comfortable expressing ourselves in print!

I am floored about how many INFJs there are as well! When I saw the percentage, my jaw dropped because INFJs are hard to find. I am not one for going out and socializing a lot so I guess that is not a big surprise. I love people, but man can they wear me out! :)

Brenda

I'm shocked by the # of INTJs. I don't think I've ever met another one irl, but then, I guess that's why I love it here. (Maybe. I've always assumed I wouldn't like someone like me, lol!)

We're not exactly a fair sampling of the general population... I mean, this board tends to be made mostly of women who value education and enjoy planning and researching. I'd imagine a lot of us have similar personality traits.

I get a different type each time I take the test. Well, I'm always Introverted. That's never in question. But I voted INTP. That's what I got the first time I took the test, and it seems to fit me the best. I love the "fence building" descriptions from this page: http://famoustype.com/functions.htm

And here is the description for the four functions that make up an INTP personality (it fits me to a T--right down to subconsciously worrying what everyone else will think of my fence):

Ne - I want to design the fence.

Si - I’ll take care of looking at the instructions and making sure that we follow the established guidlines.

Ti - I want to analyze the structure and placement of the fence.

Fe - How will it affect the neighborhood, and what will the neighbors think?

LOL, I am INFJ and the first descriptor on fence building is SO me!!

"Why do they want to do this and what is the deal with fences anyway? Is this necessary?"

I think that about just about everything in life, LOL!