Menu

S/O MB personality--poll for INTROVERTS

Myers-Briggs Personality Types (for INTROVERTS)  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Myers-Briggs Personality Types (for INTROVERTS)

• ISTJ: The Duty Fullfillers
    • ISFJ: The Nurturers
    • ISTP: The Mechanics
    • ISFP: The Artists
    • INTJ: The Scientists
    • INTP: The Thinkers
    • INFJ: The Protectors
    • INFP: The Idealists

I've seen a number of threads regarding Myers-Briggs personality profiles, and was wondering if people would respond to a public poll? When I first heard about this (on this board, of course :D) I looked it up and was very impressed with how well it explains me, my husband, my sister, other family members, etc. I've seen people reveal their type in threads, but if we did it in public poll form, we could have an easy reference of others with our personality type or maybe better understand where others are coming from. Since there are 16 types, I'm going to make two polls with 8 types each split by extroverts and introverts. I'm hoping others will respond!

If you don't know your type, you can read about it here http://www.personalitypage.com/html/portraits.html

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to change personality types? :tongue_smilie: When I took Meyers-Brigg test back in college I was INFP/ENFP and now after reviewing the personality profile really feel that I am more INFJ? Is that possible?

Diane

I would think so. I have done a ton of changing since the college years.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Is it possible to change personality types? :tongue_smilie: When I took Meyers-Brigg test back in college I was INFP/ENFP and now after reviewing the personality profile really feel that I am more INFJ? Is that possible?

Diane

Oh, yes! I have changed so much since college (graduated 16 years ago). I was an ENTP and vividly remember the description being spooky in it's accuracy. Now I am an INTJ and same thing, completely accurate.

Hmm, I wonder if we will have more introverts on this board than extroverts. So far Mrs. Mungo and I are the only extroverts who've responded. Or maybe the extroverts are all still out celebrating while the introverts recover :D.

I am an INFP. The INF part is very strong, 100% for I but the P/J falls very close to the middle. I think that is because in my ideal world I would be a J but in my real world I am just a P. Being a J is a lot of hard work and I am just getting to old and tired to work that hard. :001_smile:

Diane

According to Isabel Myers, no. She said that type was "hard-wired", and while the way we express our type (or not) may vary based on life circumstance/age/cultural & family expectations, type remains the same. (I've been reading a fair bit on the topic lately...;) My current favorite book on the topic is this: http://www.amazon.com/Motherstyles-Personality-Discover-Parenting-Strengths/dp/B000WCNVFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278309651&sr=8-1. One thing that helped me figure out my type was the advice to look back on one's childhood to figure out areas that are close...I wasn't sure whether I was F or T. Once I thought about my childhood, though, I knew without a doubt that I was a T. The description of the INTP mother fit me best, too.)

According to Isabel Myers, no. She said that type was "hard-wired", and while the way we express our type (or not) may vary based on life circumstance/age/cultural & family expectations, type remains the same. (I've been reading a fair bit on the topic lately...;) My current favorite book on the topic is this: http://www.amazon.com/Motherstyles-Personality-Discover-Parenting-Strengths/dp/B000WCNVFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278309651&sr=8-1. One thing that helped me figure out my type was the advice to look back on one's childhood to figure out areas that are close...I wasn't sure whether I was F or T. Once I thought about my childhood, though, I knew without a doubt that I was a T. The description of the INTP mother fit me best, too.)

Yes, as I understood it, the theory is that your 'type' is what you are most naturally tending towards, but this may or may not be what you express in various situations. So you can change as much as you like, but you would, in theory, always feel at least a bit more comfortable if you act your type.

Wow--lots of INFP's in the replies so far!

Can you all tell me how to understand and meet the needs of my very strongly INFP little boy? He's so sensitive to the emotional state of others and easily hurt by even the smallest correction. He's never bored (when he's not being asked to do something) because he is always imagining something, making up a story, etc. He loves stories--hearing them, reading them, creating them. I just struggle to know how to meet his needs because he's so different from me and, especially, so sensitive. He also seems drawn to what I'll call negative stuff-the what if's this bad thing happens kind of thoughts.

I'm an ISXJ. I test exactly 50/50 between F and T every time I take that test and have since college with very little fluctuation. I think I'm truly balanced between those. I'm strongly the others. My husband is an INFJ. I've got an ESTJ son and it's amazing two introverts could have an extrovert!

Edited by sbgrace

Yes, as I understood it, the theory is that your 'type' is what you are most naturally tending towards, but this may or may not be what you express in various situations. So you can change as much as you like, but you would, in theory, always feel at least a bit more comfortable if you act your type.

That makes perfect sense. I'm always INT, but my J/P has been known to change on tests. I *am* a J, I just try to fight against that in many situations.

infj. I had never read a description like that before. I only read that one but I have to tell you, if I were going to choose one, I'm pretty sure it would be that one. Not necessarily b/c it's the one the describes me so well, though perhaps it does, but b/c it sounds so cool.

Funny that it's supposed to be the most rare and yet there are so many on this board.

INFP here.

I was the daydreamer who gathered info on our energy-efficient house. DH was the realist who brought me down from the clouds to see what we could really do (well, our budget helped, but we saved a LOT doing it acting as our own GC.) It took us a while but most of my dreams about our house came true!

DREAM BIG, INFP's!!!

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm an ISTJ. I think it's funny that noone has clicked ISTP yet. My brother and his wife are both ISTP's and they homeschool, but it is strictly online pre-packaged curriculm.

Those tests never give me a straight answer. I am apparently exactly on the border between both I/E (introvert and extrovert) and J/P (judging and perceiving). At least we definitely know I'm intuitive and thinking and not sensing and feeling.

Hey, that's exactly the same way mine turn out! :) I posted over on the extrovert poll, only because I've heard the true test of extrovert/introvert is if you get energy from being with others or being alone, and while I do need some alone time, I definitely get recharged from being around people. I do have a lot of introvert qualities too, though.

And the same with P/J - tends to P but just barely. I strive to be a P, though!

And sooo definitely an NT!

Can you all tell me how to understand and meet the needs of my very strongly INFP little boy?

there is a great book "nurture by nature" that talks about how to parent different personality types. for each one, it gives you a list of things that "work" with that personality. i use it for all my kids (and my dh, too ; ).

the F/T difference is the one that seems to impact relationships most (the same folks who wrote nurture by nature also wrote "just my type" where they talk about it in a relationship sense). so its a great question for you to be asking!

enjoy,

ann

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Well, I don't want to pick a fight (because I'm not an ENTP anymore :D) but if you are only ever one type, then why would it necessarily be true that you would always be the type from your first test. ENTPs like to argue for the sake of argument and extroverts get energy from other people. Those two qualities are not true of me anymore but they were very true of me when I was 21 and took the test. I can explain it too. With an alcoholic dad who liked to make others feel stupid and small, my ENTP nature developed and was protective. I was the only one to come out of my family with self-respect. I was an extrovert because it was life outside my family that provided an energizing escape. Then I met DH--quiet, gentle, loving--and I have lived a different life. I have no more need of a hard outer shell, no need to escape into others all the time, no need to make everything funny. Yes, circumstances have changed and I am different. So why is the ENTP the real type forever instead of who I am now? It makes no sense to me.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Usually I'm INTJ, but I just did an online test to check and today I'm INFJ, so that's what I voted.

Rosie

This is me, too. :D

INTJ here.

I'm shocked by the # of INTJs. I don't think I've ever met another one irl, but then, I guess that's why I love it here. (Maybe. I've always assumed I wouldn't like someone like me, lol!)

INTJ here :)
:cheers2:

Diane

Yes, it's quite possible, even probable. MB changes as your preferences change, which can happen with a phase of life (much better to go with the flow as a "P" with a houseful of babies and preschoolers; but the same person might switch to a "J" back in the work force in management) or just the kinds of changes that happen as we mature. Extroverted teens can become introverted middle-agers, for instance. I've taken the test a number of times, and while some things are consistent, others have not been. It's probably more likely to happen if your score is close to center anyway. The MB shouldn't be taken as any kind of permanent assessment of who you are--just as who you are *now*.

Well, I don't want to pick a fight (because I'm not an ENTP anymore :D) but if you are only ever one type, then why would it necessarily be true that you would always be the type from your first test. ENTPs like to argue for the sake of argument and extroverts get energy from other people. Those two qualities are not true of me anymore but they were very true of me when I was 21 and took the test. I can explain it too. With an alcoholic dad who liked to make others feel stupid and small, my ENTP nature developed and was protective. I was the only one to come out of my family with self-respect. I was an extrovert because it was life outside my family that provided an energizing escape. Then I met DH--quiet, gentle, loving--and I have lived a different life. I have no more need of a hard outer shell, no need to escape into others all the time, no need to make everything funny. Yes, circumstances have changed and I am different. So why is the ENTP the real type forever instead of who I am now? It makes no sense to me.

I think the key here is that you wouldn't necessarily be the type that you tested on your first test. (I'd think especially if you first tested in your teens--many teenagers are confused about their own nature and/or try out various ways of behaving.) Your explanation makes perfect sense...if you had to become something due to family dynamics, then you acted like an ENTP, even though that wasn't your true type.

Many people act the part of their non-preferred type in certain situations (always one way at work, but another at home, for example), especially if they are surrounded by similar-type people. Someone has to do the non-preferred stuff. ;) Temperament is supposed to be what you are underneath it all, though. The Motherstyles author said to think of what you would be in your pajamas, not how you can act, do act because of expectations or people in or your life, or think you should act.

FWIW, I think some of the online tests are kind of badly worded, which might also have something to do with getting different results at different times.

there is a great book "nurture by nature" that talks about how to parent different personality types. for each one, it gives you a list of things that "work" with that personality. i use it for all my kids (and my dh, too ; ).

the F/T difference is the one that seems to impact relationships most (the same folks who wrote nurture by nature also wrote "just my type" where they talk about it in a relationship sense). so its a great question for you to be asking!

enjoy,

ann

This book was HUGE for me in understanding my kiddos (and hubby :tongue_smilie:). I'm a solid ISFJ (grew up in a introverted, girl-dominated household) with a polar opposite hubby (ENTP) and three extroverted boys. My oldest is an ENFP, and it takes quite a bit of work for me to 'get' him....

This book was HUGE for me in understanding my kiddos (and hubby :tongue_smilie:). I'm a solid ISFJ (grew up in a introverted, girl-dominated household) with a polar opposite hubby (ENTP) and three extroverted boys. My oldest is an ENFP, and it takes quite a bit of work for me to 'get' him....

I put it on my "to-read" list. :D Dh & I are both INTP. B is the only definite S in the family so far, and D is the only definite E so far. Interestingly, they are often difficult for me to parent, and they also clash with each other more than the others.

So far there are 117 Introverts and only 20 Extroverts (polled on the other thread.) The Extroverts must be out socializing today :lol:.

My guess is that extroverts are less likely to homeschool. Homeschooling can be isolating, but maybe to an extrovert it appears even more isolating than it really is, making it undesirable.