Menu

-2C last night and we have no heating ...

please share you top tips for staying warm!

It is freezing! It is very unusual for where i live to get this cold night after night. We are hitting records all over the show but staying warm is driving me nuts.

We are OK in bed at night all rugged up but mornings for breakfast are so cold, as are the days although i think we are getting to 12C or so.

HELP :D It's OK i know there really isn't anything anyone can do but tell me to put on more clothes :tongue_smilie: doing that already.

When it is like this in Michigan, my favorite daytime outfit is:

Tank Top under sweater with a fleece vest

Long wool riding skirt under it, a pair of thermal pants that come down to my ankles

I tuck the thermals into tall argyle socks and then wear slippers. It's quite the look! LOL

Dh wears his thermals under his jeans and then a thermal long sleeve shirt under his rugby shirt plus wool socks. Dh never wears slippers because his feet are nearly always warm.

The boys wear thermals underneath sweat pants and sweatshirts plus socks and slippers.

I also burn candles or an oil lamp at our work table. The kids love the oil lamp because it gives off such a nice cozy light and quite a bit of heat. I also do a lot of baking and I don't serve any cold food. We'll even have hot chocolate or tea with dinner instead of cold milk or water.

On the coldest days, I have the kids mop and we spend extra time exercising with our WII Fit Plus which seems to help everyone warm up.

Faith

No fireplace Jean. The closest thing we have to heating is the oven and it is getting a big workout :)

We have all been wearing singlets but i hadn't thought of thermals. We don't even own any that is how unusual the weather is! I will take a look today when we head out.

The kids are too cold to stop for anything, they are constantly on the go but have enjoyed the sunny spot in the playroom window for building this morning. I've been drinking lots of tea and doing the backlog of laundry because it is keeping the blood flowing.

Keep a light blanket wrapped around your waist over your clothes all day.

If you do not have a hot water bottle, try a rice sock instead. Fill a clean white sock with uncooked, raw rice. DO NOT GET WET. You can either microwave a couple minutes or heat in the oven 15-20 minutes. It will retain the heat for a good long while.

We had an unusually cold winter this past year, too, and although we did have heat, we were on a tight budget and kept the thermostat very low all the time. One of the things a friend told me to do (whose heater has not worked in a couple of years) is to put a big pot of water on the stove and let it simmer. I did that and threw in cinnamon, cloves, etc. for a yummy smelling bonus. The most important part of that was the steamy heat rising into the air. We had the pot going almost all the time when we were home and in or near the kitchen. You have to watch the pot, though, and continue to add water as needed. We used tons of blankets, dressed in layers, drank warm drinks, etc., too.

We only run one heater in the lounge, so I know what you're going through! The last two days we have spend a couple of hours at the park, and it has made me feel so much better. It is much warmer outside than inside, at least with our non-insulated house. And the sun cheers me up.

Try to keep track of indoor v outdoor temperature, and open doors and windows when it is warmer outside - we can raise the indoor temperature a few degrees doing that.

Layer those clothes on! (A few nights ago I slept in 5 layers on my upper body, 2 pairs of socks and under two duvets / dooners. Plus my 3yr old human hot water bottle. Then, of course, halfway through the night I wake up a fraction of a degree away from hyperthermia.)

Warm toes make all the difference - wear lots of socks!

I was also going to suggest the rice sock, works a treat, much better than a hot water bottle, I think.

We have been closing off the greater part of our living areas and just heating the bit we are using.

You could buy one of those little fan heaters, they are only about $20 and if you are only heating a smallish area and won't need it regularly, it should be fine for the job.

Lots of layers, especially wool and fleece.

Lots of warm drinks and food.

It's been really cold eh!!

Edited by keptwoman

No fireplace Jean. The closest thing we have to heating is the oven and it is getting a big workout :)

We have all been wearing singlets but i hadn't thought of thermals. We don't even own any that is how unusual the weather is! I will take a look today when we head out.

Pyjamas under clothes might work.

Laura

We have been closing off the greater part of our living areas and just heating the bit we are using.

You could buy one of those little fan heaters, they are only about $20 and if you are only heating a smallish area and won't need it regularly, it should be fine for the job.

We were just talking about that last night but all our living areas are open. We would have to spend the day/evening camped out in a bedroom for any benefit plus i have found in the past those blow heaters chew electricity pretty bad.

I have been tracking inside/outside temps and opening and closing up when appropriate. Getting out in the sun does make you feel better! We have been eating lunch outside when the wind isn't icy and the kids have been spending just as much time as usual running around with the dog and playing in the yard.

Bring on a cold front and some cloud cover, we will all be feeling a little warmer.

Yeah, they do chew through, that's why they are only good if you can only heat a small area. Fortunately our open plan living has ceder bifolds that we usually never close, so we have closed them all and are living in the much smaller area that the wall furnace can heat well. Definitely open the curtains as soon as the sun can get in, and close them before it gets cold.

When we lived in Buenos Aires, we used portable space heaters that looked like radiators with wheels. They weren't cheap to operate, but it was too cold to go without and this was what everyone used. For the few cold mornings in Caracas, I would run the shower at the hottest I could and get dressed in the bathroom before the heat dissipated, but it was never as cold as what you have.