Menu

Anyone have a dyslexic kid who doesn't like books on CD?

My severely dyslexic kid doesn't like books on CD. She is beyond Dr. Seuss and Frog and Toad, but can't yet read harder books. I feel like she's falling further and further behind on vocabulary and general knowledge, because she can't read and she doesn't like books on CD. She says she gets confused and lost when listening to books on CD.

She is approved for RFBD, but I only signed up for downloads because I don't want to spend $300+ for a player. Now I'm wondering if it would be worth it because I could slow the books down to a speed that she can comprehend.

We do read to her, but she needs more than we have time/vocal ability to read.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

My severely dyslexic kid doesn't like books on CD. She is beyond Dr. Seuss and Frog and Toad, but can't yet read harder books. I feel like she's falling further and further behind on vocabulary and general knowledge, because she can't read and she doesn't like books on CD. She says she gets confused and lost when listening to books on CD.

She is approved for RFBD, but I only signed up for downloads because I don't want to spend $300+ for a player. Now I'm wondering if it would be worth it because I could slow the books down to a speed that she can comprehend.

We do read to her, but she needs more than we have time/vocal ability to read.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Lizzy, I have more questions and a couple suggestions.

What subjects are you specifically concerned about?

Does this the daughter have more auditory processing problems that make books on tape difficult for her to understand?

Remedia offers some high interest/low readability classics that you might want to check out. http://www.rempub.com/Details.cfm?ProdId=5659&category=0

If you want her to try reading the originals, Cliff's Notes explain plots and books in great depth. Maybe you can go over reading the Cliff's Notes first, so she understands what she's going to read before she reads it. Then she can read the books very slowly at her own pace. (That wouldn't be controlled texts, but maybe you can skim the books for the unfamiliar words and discuss those too.)

Can she re-read things like history books that you've already read to her previously? Then she's reading familiar material but studying it more in depth to commit it to memory.

It might also help to remember that several of our founding fathers and great presidents didn't have access to nearly the number of books that we have today. What they read, they re-read and re-read. Reading or hearing a large quantity of books won't neccessarily make an educated person. A person might be better educated if she knows a few books really well, rather than having skimmed through and forgotten lots of books.

I hope that helps.

Edited by merry gardens
add link and re-word

Hi Lizzy, I have more questions and a couple suggestions.

What subjects are you specifically concerned about?

Does this the daughter have more auditory processing problems that make books on tape difficult for her to understand?

Remedia offers some high interest/low readability classics that you might want to check out. If you want her to try reading the originals, Cliff's Notes explain plots and books in great depth. If she can read the Cliff's Notes first, it might aid her in understanding what she's going to read before she reads it. Then she can read the books slowly at her own pace.

Can she re-read things like history books that you've already read to her previously? Then she's reading familiar material but studying it more in depth to commit it to memory.

It might also help to remember that several of our founding fathers and great presidents didn't have access to nearly the number of books that we have today. What they read, they re-read and re-read. Reading or hearing a large quantity of books won't neccessarily make an educated person. A person might be better educated if she knows a few books really well, rather than having skimmed through and forgotten lots of books.

I hope that helps.

We focus on reading and math during school time, so history and lit are neglected. She is okay with science because she loves Animal Planet and that sort of thing. I work outside of the home (no choice about that), so my time is limited; and in spite of pleas, tears, and nagging, I have not been able to get dh and my older girls to read to K. daily or even weekly. I get so mad because the TV and computers are always on when I am not home and K's needs are being neglected. It is one thing to be dyslexic, but it is another problem entirely to have a family who by and large will not help with remediation and intellectual stimulation.

She has auditory processing disorder. When she was tested 2 years ago, she could not pass any of the four parts of the evaluation. When listening to books on tape, I think she can't process as fast as tape goes, so she gets confused and then loses interest. If she is very, very interested in something, she'll listen; but otherwise, she's frustrated and doesn't want to listen any more.

I will check Remedia's website and see what they have. My first post was probably not clear. Her reading level is Dr. Seuss, Frog and Toad, and the like; but she's no longer interested in those types of books. She will turn 9 yo this month, so they are boring for her. But she can't read the types of books that are appropriate for her age.

...She will turn 9 yo this month, so they are boring for her. But she can't read the types of books that are appropriate for her age.

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought you were talking about an older child. Forget the Cliff Notes. Yes, check out Remedia. In addition to some very controlled readers, I found several very basic workbooks there I plan to use with my son whose about your daughter's age. He also really likes the Seeing Stars workbooks from Lindamood-Bell that teach the most common words, one at a time. Maybe you can go over a workbook page instructions with her, then have her do it while you're at work.

Also, check out the controlled readers that Barton sells that are appropriate after completing level three. (I've had some of those sitting and waiting a few months until he's ready for them. We're oh-so-very-close- to completing level three, but some lessons took more time than I expected.)

I sense your frustration. Goodness knows it can be frustrating trying to work with a child who has dyslexia, especially if you're the only one whose really concerned about the situation. :grouphug: My son's reading probably isn't any further along than your daughter's. They'll get there. And we'll all somehow survive this and be stronger for it.

My son has a language disorder which pretty much mimics dyslexia. He hated listening to books on tape when he was younger because he could not visualize what was happening in the story. He would get very upset whenever I would try to play one. We did Lindamood Bell's Visualizing and Verbalizing program and within weeks, he was listening to books like Henry Huggins and completely enjoying them.

If you think this could possibly be the problem, you can do V/V at home or there is another program out there called Ideachain that is supposed to be mroe user friendly for parents.

Lisa

Just commiserating here, no great advice. My dd has the same problem. Not only is she dyslexic, but she can often get lost listening to someone read aloud to her, especially non-fiction (history, science). If it is told as a story, and the vocabulary isn't over her head (or I stop periodically to explain what they mean), she remembers the gist of the story, although no proper names of places, characters or events. Factual information such as science, even with pictures as a reference, go in one ear and out the other. She does very well with interactive on-line content, though. TV and DVDs can also work well, but the visual content has to be engaging in and of itself; if it relies too much on verbal explanations (especially if she doesn't understand the vocabulary), she tunes out.

Since you don't seem to have a lot of time yourself, and your family is unable/unwilling to help her, I would strongly suggest you look into an internet-based curriculum. Time4Learning isn't too expensive and you could try it for a month before you commit. it is animated (my dd prefers more realistic visuals), but I have heard it works well for many dyslexics and visual learners. I also use Sonlight DVDs as supplements for math (Mathtacular) and science (Discover and Do). Homeschool Buyers Co-op often has many internet-based programs for various subjects that are quite interactive and of excellent quality.

None of this solves the literature issue, though. I would 2nd the suggestion of high interest/low ability readers. Here's another source for those: http://www.highnoonbooks.com/

My dd is 10 and still enjoys reading Amelia Bedelia, Berenstain Bears, etc., and there are several "easy readers" you can pick up at the bookstore on science and history topics that might interest her. We also have several books from the "Illustrated Classics" series that are abridged and simplified a bit, which I read aloud to her, since the originals would be miles over her head.

Don't get bogged down on a guilt trip that you aren't reading a ton of great literature to her. A lot of the classics I see on WTM-type lists have such archaic vocabulary that *I* would be bored reading them. A handful of good, quality literature each year, including classics that she can get excited about and be interested in the story, is better than plowing through a list of books that she can't get her head around, just to check them off an arbitrary list. Less is more, quality not quantity...

HTH at least a bit,

Non-Fiction Reading Comprehension

They have them for social studies, history, and science topics at different grade levels.

http://www.teachercreated.com/products/nonfiction-reading-comprehension-social-studies-grade-5-8030

We started using these a couple of years ago. They're similar to Remedia, which I also like. The nice thing about these is that the readings are interesting, informative and short, and the follow-up questions are multiple-choice, fill-in-the-dot, so no writing required. :)

I would strongly suggest you look into an internet-based curriculum. Time4Learning isn't too expensive and you could try it for a month before you commit. it is animated (my dd prefers more realistic visuals), but I have heard it works well for many dyslexics and visual learners.

We used Time4Learning last year as well. I liked the multisensory approach to the lessons (the text appears on the screen with a voice in the background reading it aloud).

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will look into all of them.

To be fair, my earlier post was harsher than it should have been. Dh cooks, grocery shops, does the yardwork, fixes the cars and house when needed, runs the kids to their lessons and appointments, etc. I think he feels as overwhelmed as me.