Menu

Need summer time recipes

Could anyone pass their summer-time recipes this-a-way?

We are reaching upper 90s / low 100s here, with no A/C.

Please don't offer anything that involves an oven; I already feel like I'm baking.

Oh, and while my family isn't terribly picky, I can't do peppers.

Mango Black Bean Salad

1 large mango, cut into small chunks

1 avocado, cut into small pieces

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can corn, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup red pepper, finely chopped

3 green onions, thinly sliced

1 handful cilantro, roughly chopped

1 recipe Lime Dressing

Dressing:

2 Tbsp freshly squeezed (or bottled) lime juice

2 Tbsp good quality olive oil

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 Tbsp liquid honey

1 tsp chopped fresh oregano

1 Tbsp water

Recipe courtesy of Nancypants. I use parsley instead of cilantro (hate cilantro!) I use a red onion instead of the green. And I leave the oregano out of the dressing and use fresh basil leaves instead. I get the Dole mango in a jar in the salad section of the grocery store.

Edited by cat in black
left something out

Is it too hot to grill? We cook on the grill a lot in the summer to keep the heat outside.

Or you can make sandwiches on crusty bread, with cut up vegetables dipped in hummus.

How about boiling potatoes? That might not be as hot as the oven. If so,

I have a very yummy potato salad recipe:

Mesa Grill's Southwestern Potato Salad

1 1/2 c. prepared mayonnaise

1/4 c. dijon mustard

2 tbsp. fresh lime juice

2 tbsp. chipotle pepper sauce (could leave out)

1 large ripe tomato, seeded and diced

1/4 c. cilantro leaves

3 scallions, chopped, white and green parts

1/2 tsp. cayenne

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

16 new potatoes, about 3-4 pounds, cooked, drained and sliced 1/2 in. thick

Combine all ingredients, except the potatoes, in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place warm potatoes in a large bowl and pour the mixture over potatoes and mix well. Season again with salt and pepper to taste.

This is another different kind of salad:

Sheet Music Salad

For the Vinaigrette:

2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 tbsp. honey

1/2 tsp. coarse salt

1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

6 tbsp. olive oil

For the Salad:

3 cups delicate mixed greens, washed and dried

18 sun dried tomatoes

3 tsp. toasted almonds

6 large thin slices dried ham, such as serrano or prosciutto, torn, not cut into

1 in. pieces

1 large pear, cored and thinly sliced or 3 fresh figs, torn in half

6 oz. mozzarella di butace, torn into small rough pieces

6 pieces Flatbread

To make the vinaigrette, combine lemon juice, honey, salt, in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil in a slow, steady stream.

To assemble the salad, dress the mixed greens very lightly with half the honey vinaigrette. Set a flatbread on each of six individual plates. Top the sheets with the greens. Garnish each salad with 3 sun dried tomatoes, 1/2 tbsp. almonds, and 1/6 of the ham, and then with the pear or fig and mozzarella. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over top and serve immediately.

I do lots of salads with grilled meats. Luckily all my children like salads, as does my husband. He's the one that suggested we spend the summer eating mostly salad!

I will also make grilled meats with baked potatoes (in the microwave, one of the few things I do prepare in the microwave).

Fruit salads are a good change of pace if you are getting burnt out on regular lettuce/veggie salad. I like grilled fruit with meat also. And I grill a lot of vegetables. You can grill large sliced veggies like eggplant pretty easily, or corn on the cob. You can also make or buy a small screen and cook chopped veggies on it on the grill. I have even been known to put a side dish in a pot and put the pot on the grill - like baked beans to go with burgers. If you do that it helps to oil the bottom (outside) of the pot first - easier to clean that way.

We are also A/C free. I make giant salads and top them with some sort of protein. Salmon microwaves very nicely, or I cook chicken breast in the crock pot overnight and dice or shred it. Canned or crockpot-cooked beans, cubed or shredded cheese, canned tuna, and shrimp all make good salad toppers. Dessert is usually fruit of some kind.

The crock pot can be your friend!

Today we're making BBQ chicken (various chicken pieces in BBQ sauce on low all day) and Baked potatoes (wash potatoes, poke with fork, wrap in foil, cook on high in crock pot) and salad.

When I go shopping next week, I'm going to buy a pork or beef roast, cook it and shred it. I'm also going to make a brisket in the crock pot. Makes for good, cold sandwiches!

Blessings!

Dorinda

I love BLTs and cantaloupe as a summer meal.

Here's a recipe for a yummy bean salad that we eat at least 2-3 times a month when it's hot. I usually double it:

Southwest Bean Salad

1 can black beans

1 can garbonzo beans

1 can red kidney beans

1 can corn

(all rinsed and drained)

1 medium onion chopped

2 ribs celery chopped

1 cup (I usually use more) your favorite salsa

1/4 cup oil

1/4 cup lime juice

1 1/2 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cumin (sometimes I use more)

mix it all in a big bowl and dinner is served!

I also agree that fruit is a meal when it is HOT. It does double duty for hydration, too!

Could anyone pass their summer-time recipes this-a-way?

We are reaching upper 90s / low 100s here, with no A/C.

Please don't offer anything that involves an oven; I already feel like I'm baking.

Oh, and while my family isn't terribly picky, I can't do peppers.

I use my crock pot frequently in the summer. Want some crock pot recipes, or are you looking for things you don't have to cook at all?

Sorry, I had a kid get sick so wasn't on the computer much.

My husband says he would prefer non-hot meals, he says he doesn't even want to do "hot" when it is hot outside.

My family burns out on salad quickly. (Or maybe I do? Cutting, chopping, grating and shredding. . .) I have all boys and if I feed them a salad within an hour I'm hearing how they are just completely famished. (And I know they are as my stomach is generally rumbling by then too.) We don't eat small salads either. . .

When I'm hot I don't want to be in the kitchen any more than I have to! (It was so poorly designed there is not even a window in there.)

Anyway, I don't mind stove-top or crockpot meals. I don't mind grilled meals, except that it's been well over 100 degrees recently and no one wants to grill in that!

Is that helpful?

We had these last night. They're one of the few light dinners that I can get my DH to eat (and enjoy - he tried stealing mine!)

1-2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces/thin strips

*saute in a little olive oil, sprinkle with:

1.5-2 tsp paprika

salt/pepper to taste

*When chicken is cooked dump in approx. 1/3- 1/2 cup favorite salsa (just enough to coat chicken plus a little extra) and let it cook for a few more minutes.

* Spread approx. 1-2 TBSP sour cream on one side of a tortilla. Cover sour cream with a piece (or pieces) of your favorite lettuce. I bet spinach or arugula would taste fantastic as well. Arrange a few bits of chicken down the center and top with shredded cheese (I use cheddar). Fold up like a burrito and enjoy!

* optional variation:if I have them I like to stick very thin slices of cucumber between the lettuce and the chicken, it tastes delightful!

Wraps are great for a summer meal. We eat wraps with fruit or a cold grain salad. I use grilled chicken, deli meat or even hummus with veggies, lettuce and cheese. Leftover rotissary chicken works great too. For whole grain tortilla the Flatout wraps, (in the deli section) taste/roll better than regualr whole grain tortillas.

My kids' favorite wrap is a Cesar salad roll. Put Cesar salad dressing on a tortilla. Add grilled chicken, romaine lettuce, freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper. Wrap and serve. Yum!

We are planning to try a new wrap recipe this week - Cranberry Turkey Rolls. Flatout wrap, 1 T cranberry sauce, turkey slices, 1 slice Swiss cheese, 1 t chopped pecans and few spinach leaves.

Edited by Ferdie

You could try cooking meat/chicken/fish in the early morning or late night when it is cooler, then stick it in the fridge to use for sandwiches/salads/wraps. Or you could just eat it cold. My dh loves cold leftover roast with beans, cold leftover ham and potatoes, cold leftover chicken and veggies...you see where I'm going with this. ;)