Menu

Wyoming, Yellowstone, Rafting

We're looking for vacation ideas around the Yellowstone area. We would like to include river rafting, fishing, and sightseeing. I've found some homes/cabins on VRBO that sound nice, but I'm not quite sure what area would be best for our base camp. We will be spending about a week, want to do this vacation as inexpensively as possible, and would like to be in a convenient central place - with easy driving access. Any ideas?

Its been too long since I've been there to be of any use, but the last time I was there we had a great time rafting the Snake River! Dh and I were flat broke back then and camped the whole trip, ate out of a cooler and had the best time!

Sorry, just reminiscing, not really helping :001_smile: I hope you have a great trip though.

Oh - love that area of the country :)

The Grand Tetons are gorgeous - and far less crowded than Yellowstone - have you looked there for places to stay? Yeloowstone is a quick drive from there (about 15 minutes I think). There is a little Ghost Town inside the park to hike to (easy hike - more like a nature trail), lakes, etc.

We camped in the Tetons for 5 nights - spent 4 days in the Tetons and only 1 in Yellowstone! We just really loved it there.

Jackson Hole is pricey - stay away!!!

Just came back from there.

We stayed in West Yellowstone, MT which is just outside the west gate of the park. We stayed at a pricey ranch but there were plenty of affordable accomodations including a KOA campground right next door to where we stayed.

Yellowstone is huge and there's nothing really within close driving distance of anything else.;) West Yellowstone definitely is easy driving access to getting into the park but once you're in the park, it takes quite a while to get anywhere. Especially with the current road construction, bison camping out in the middle of the road and people stopping to see every piece of wildlife there is.:lol:

We also spent some time in Grand Teton National Park which is fantastic! Much smaller and less crowded. The two parks are relatively close but definitely not 15 minutes apart. They are more like 50 miles apart but a very nice drive indeed!

We went to Yellowstone in May '09. It took us over an hour to get from Yellowstone to the Tetons as there was road construction. Even without that, it still would have taken us a while. If you want to spend time in Yellowstone, then you're probably better off basing yourself there for several nights. Yellowstone itself can take a decent chunk of time to drive across, esp if you're going there when a lot of other ppl are visiting.

Teton-related - There's an interactive visitor center that was really interesting.

Many people like the Wild West feeling of Cody, Wyoming. I don't know much about rafting in that area, though. Fodors.com would have good information.

Have fun. I grew up not too far from Jellystone. ;)