Menu

Catholics - please help us find out who this is

My guess is Saint Joseph-many people bury a statue of St. Joseph in their backyards when trying to sell their home as a way to bring "good luck" (sorry if this is not the proper wording).

He may also have been used for a garden:

http://www.catholiccompany.com/catholic-gifts/2007678/St-Joseph-Garden-Figure-20-inch/?aid=178 Not sure from your picture how big he really is.

Sounds like you and your kids have been having lots of fun in the backyard!

Happy hunting!

Shannon in NC

:iagree: with Shannon. This is the first time I've heard of the new home owner digging it up though.

oops, do you think I should put it back? :001_smile:

I find it all very interesting and the kids loved the excitement surrounding the find.

My guess is Saint Joseph-many people bury a statue of St. Joseph in their backyards when trying to sell their home as a way to bring "good luck" (sorry if this is not the proper wording).

Just as clarification, St. Joseph is the patron saint of families and home life. Therefore, many Catholics ask for his prayers when they are selling their homes. (I realize this last statement touches on the Catholic practice of asking dead people to pray for them and that's another dicussion altogether! :tongue_smilie:) I just wanted to elaborate a tad since it really isn't meant to be a good luck charm. Although I can see why it could be interpreted that way to a non-Catholic.

How cool that you found one buried in your yard! I don't think there's anything wrong with digging it up.

Yes, it is St. Joseph.

The tradition is said to have started with the Carmalites. Here is some info.

Catholics do not do this for "good luck.' To say that is very misleading.

I think the link answers my question about putting it back or not. It is more about the act of faith and prayer than the statue.

The house was on sale for 2 years before we bought it, so it could be the previous owner who buried it. They also homeschool so I see them about once a year. Would it be appropriate to ask them about it and offer the statue back?

How cool that you found one buried in your yard! I don't think there's anything wrong with digging it up.

I just wanted to add that if don't want to keep it, please donate it to your local Catholic parish. It may have been blessed, and blessed items really don't belong in the trash.

We are posting at the same time. Yes, it will be okay to offer it back to the previous owners.

Edited by Parrothead

I just wanted to add that if don't want to keep it, please donate it to your local Catholic parish. It may have been blessed, and blessed items really don't belong in the trash.

O no, it would not go in the trash. The kids would not let me and although we are not Catholic, I have enough respect for all religions to not do that.

Blessed by whom? For interest sake only, just trying to understand what it means.

Good suggestion, thanks.

O no, it would not go in the trash. The kids would not let me and although we are not Catholic, I have enough respect for all religions to not do that.

Blessed by whom? For interest sake only, just trying to understand what it means.

Good suggestion, thanks.

Blessed by a priest or deacon. We Catholics are big on our sacramentals, and having them blessed. I get my medals and rosaries blessed when I get a new one. Catholics can have candles, water, statues, crucifixes, really any number of things blessed. Sometimes we ask a priest to come bless our houses.

Blessed by a priest or deacon. We Catholics are big on our sacramentals, and having them blessed. I get my medals and rosaries blessed when I get a new one. Catholics can have candles, water, statues, crucifixes, really any number of things blessed. Sometimes we ask a priest to come bless our houses.

Thanks, I appreciate you answering all my questions.:001_smile:

We found one buried in our yard too. The house had been on the market for seven years.

My next door neighbor said they found one a couple of years ago in their front yard. It seems it is common practice, I have never heard of it before though.