Menu

What do I need to buy for MOH

Mandy4

After much agonizing, I think I have decided to go with MOH along with the STOW cd.

I am trying to order MOH, but I don't know what I need to buy. I find myself in this dilemma often hehe. There are so many components to all of these curriculum's! Anyone know what is needed? It seems like I read somewhere at some point in all my researching that outside books were necessary. Also, what MOH materials are needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I am using it for 3rd and 8th grade kids if that helps.

I used Mystery of History 1 with STOW 1. We made a time line board using a science fair board and posterboard. We glued on our "lines" and figures with rubber cement-the rubber cement would allows for repositioning without ripping up the paper board.

I did really like the MOH maps.

I would get the reproducibles CD. I didn't buy it, but I later wished I had. It was a pain to go through the book page by page (very thick book) to make copies of the activity pages and maps. You will also need an historical atlas and a modern atlas (you will sometimes compare) I use her timeline suggestions which call for a foldable sewing board. We make our own timeline figures as per her instructions, but you can buy timeline figures if you prefer. She also recommends that you make a memory card for each lesson which calls for index cards and an index card binder for filing. You'll also need a 3 ring binder to file the completed student activity pages and maps.

Of course there are alternatives to most of these items depending on how you are going to implement the program. These are just ones that we use.

We started MOH 1 last year and will be continuing it this year..

All we needed were the following..

Tri Fold Poster Board

Velcro

Index Cards

Index Card Binder

3 Ring Binder - For storing maps the kids color or other activity pages they did as well as pictures we took of them doing the activities.

I highly suggest joining the MOH 1 yahoo group. There I got printable timeline figurines, layout of the lessons and more!! It saved me A TON of money and time digging around online.

I laminate all our timeline figurines as I plan on reusing these for my ds when he's school-age.

The timeline we started is the trifold board that I hot glue velcro strips to and then attach velcro to the backs of all the figurines. I didn't have the space to do a timeline on the wall so I liked the idea of the folding board.

Another thing I'd HIGHLY suggest for young kids doing MOH 1 are the Dover Coloring books. Those are so neat and SO many of them go along with lessons. I started this book off lastyear with just reading to the kids...they would eventually mind wander and I'd ask questions and they'd be puzzled....so I decided to purchase some dover coloring books and provide each child (K4er and 1ster at the time) a coloring page that went along with the lesson while I read. Now they can summerize the index cards up for me at the end of each lesson! I love it!! If you don't have access to dover coloring books...you can print free coloring pages online. But the coloring books saved me tons of time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mamaofblessings:

Your info is very helpful for me. Could you please provide a link of the websites for the printable timeline figurines and free coloring pages? I am new to homeschooling.

Also, do you know how different the 2002 1st edition of Mystery of History is with the most current 2nd edition? I plan to buy a used 2002 1st edition book to try the program. My daughter is 9 yo who is a good reader. Will she still need those coloring pages? She loves art though, coloring pages may engage her to learning better.

Thanks a lot! Amy

After much agonizing, I think I have decided to go with MOH along with the STOW cd.

I am trying to order MOH, but I don't know what I need to buy. I find myself in this dilemma often hehe. There are so many components to all of these curriculum's! Anyone know what is needed? It seems like I read somewhere at some point in all my researching that outside books were necessary. Also, what MOH materials are needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I am using it for 3rd and 8th grade kids if that helps.

Absolutely need: The book

Nice to have: Reproducible CD. It is hard to make pages off a 2" softback. At least good copies. I hear whisperings that the 2nd edition might have perforated pages, but I haven't gotten mine yet to be sure.

If you do mapping: You need a Bible atlas and historical atlas. You can use different version you already own. If occasionally there is a place not on your maps then just use the answer keys. They are still looking it up. :D

If you do timelines: You need timeline figures and something to put them on. You can go cheap or expensive. There are free figures in the yahoo group, some even nice color ones. I use card stock, draw a line horizontally down the middle and put it into a binder. Cheap timeline book.

If you want to use do the 3x5 memory card system then you need the cards and some way to store them. I use regular cards, I think Linda uses the ones that have hole punches in them with the organizers that keep them all in order. I just use a 3x5 index card box and hope they don't spill. :001_huh:

The rest is extra, you don't need it at all.

Heather

I hear whisperings that the 2nd edition might have perforated pages, but I haven't gotten mine yet to be sure.

Heather[/color][/size][/font]

:D

It is perforated. The whole book is! :party:

I love MOH...so do the kids. I like the break down of things for the different ages and such. We use SOTW as well. Looking for something else for my dd12 to use for American History. No luck yet.

Hi mamaofblessings:

Your info is very helpful for me. Could you please provide a link of the websites for the printable timeline figurines and free coloring pages? I am new to homeschooling.

Also, do you know how different the 2002 1st edition of Mystery of History is with the most current 2nd edition? I plan to buy a used 2002 1st edition book to try the program. My daughter is 9 yo who is a good reader. Will she still need those coloring pages? She loves art though, coloring pages may engage her to learning better.

Thanks a lot! Amy

Amy,

Here is the yahoo group.

Here is the what has changed from Maggie, the publisher:

The Mystery of History Volume 1, 2nd Edition

Bright Ideas Press is pleased to announce the release of the Second Edition of The Mystery of History, Volume I, Creation to the Resurrection. What is new in this edition? The message and theme of the book remain the same, which is that the Gospel of Jesus Christ might be better known and understood through the study of God’s hand in world history.

The well-loved format of Volume I has not been changed (one paperback book contains everything for student and teacher alike). But, with 144 new pages in the Second Edition, the author has:

 Enriched the lessons

 Broadened the scholarship level of the text

 Developed new activities

 Enhanced the mapping exercises

 Simplified the timeline directions.

While not changing the Table of Contents, the author, Linda Hobar, has improved it with better chronological detail, based on the work of James Ussher.

Based on customer feedback, the Second Edition also features:

 Answer Key maps for all the mapping exercises

 A cleaner, more-readable layout—with upgraded artistry and photos

 An expanded reading list

 A pronunciation guide

 A Bible reading list

Now, as before, The Mystery of History Volume I, can be an inspirational journey as it blends Bible history and world history into one fascinating and beautiful mosaic.

Sorry most of the formatting is lost when I cut and paste.

There is one coloring page per week, that includes three scenes from each of the three lessons covered that week. If your 9yo doesn't really enjoy coloring you don't need to get them.

I started out with the 1st edition and there is nothing wrong with it. It has just been improved. There are map answer keys to the 1st edition here. If you pick up a 1st or 2nd print run of the 1st edition (yes there are too many numbers in that sentence) here are the corrections made. The 3rd printing of the 1st edition has no corrections.

Hope this helps!

Heather

Hi mamaofblessings:

Thanks a lot! Amy

Amy,

Sorry I wasn't able to reply quicker to you but thankfully one of the wonderful mama's here got you in the right direction with links and such things.

As for coloring pages for a 9yr old..if you think she'd focus better while coloring I'd say go for it. If not then just have her listen. I however have a 7yr old and a 5yr old while doing MOH and they need some coloring while I read and they actually retain alot more info this way.

Coloring pages I found using google or enchantedlearning.com if I didn't have a pic I could use out of one of the dover coloring books.

The yahoo group that the previous poster linked saved me A TON of time!!! I was so thankful I was directed to that group!

Thank you so much Heather and mamaofblessings!

It is very helpful! My daughter goes to a public school and has not really started history seriously (they did cover a bit history in social studies). I want to teach her more history by trying Mystery of History, but she will probably be able to read the book herself.

Can you direct me to good link/information sites about how to make timelines? I don't know history much myself.

Thanks,

Amy

I love MOH...so do the kids. I like the break down of things for the different ages and such. We use SOTW as well. Looking for something else for my dd12 to use for American History. No luck yet.

That is funny, the whole book!

Did you look at All American History by Bright Ideas Press? It is more formal in tone so it doesn't seem to work with with younger kids, but older kids like it. I have used Guber and like those, but they only take you up to 1900.

Heather

I kind of like that it's perforated (to copy maps and such) but I kind of don't because eventually I will have to put it into a binder. I know this can be a good thing for some but I like the book together. I may see if I can spiral bind or comb bind it.

Thank you so much Heather and mamaofblessings!

It is very helpful! My daughter goes to a public school and has not really started history seriously (they did cover a bit history in social studies). I want to teach her more history by trying Mystery of History, but she will probably be able to read the book herself.

Can you direct me to good link/information sites about how to make timelines? I don't know history much myself.

Thanks,

Amy

Amy,

You can either read it to her or have her read it, your choice! We will be back to ancients by December (hopefully) and I plan to read it aloud to my crew. My oldest will do literature and some in depth reading on her own.

Heather