Menu

Sonlight Science 5 then Apologia General... too much Human Body?

Bare with me I am planning out our science sequence ahead. We want Emily starting college early so that she doesn't have a choice.

Is it okay to skip Science 5 if we will be doing Apologia General the next year?

Would you do Science 5 and skip General Science instead? (I really want the Physical Science) Which is best?

We did SL Science 5 and plan to skip Apologia's General Science. Not because it's too much body, but because it just looked blah to me. Please do not skip SL 5 science - it is an incredible study. I'm an RN and looked forward for years to that science and it did not disappoint. That's just my opinion, of course.

We did SL Science 5 and plan to skip Apologia's General Science. Not because it's too much body, but because it just looked blah to me. Please do not skip SL 5 science - it is an incredible study. I'm an RN and looked forward for years to that science and it did not disappoint. That's just my opinion, of course.

I'd love to know what you think about this for a 7th grader who has ALOT of scientific knowledge, quite advanced in all areas of science, except anatomy. He will be doing Science 6 next year but he is very self-initiated in science and reads a ton of science books on his own. He is interested in all areas of science except anatomy, that's why I would hate to not do Science 5 with him. I was wondering if he could skip the General Science and use Science 5 instead (in 7th grade) and then go on to Science 8 the next year (thus skipping the General Science). I really like this idea because I do want him to cover anatomy in some depth and my other son will be studying Biology (with SL Science 3) that same year, so it seems it would all go along together very well.

I'd love to know what you think about this for a 7th grader who has ALOT of scientific knowledge, quite advanced in all areas of science, except anatomy. He will be doing Science 6 next year but he is very self-initiated in science and reads a ton of science books on his own. He is interested in all areas of science except anatomy, that's why I would hate to not do Science 5 with him. I was wondering if he could skip the General Science and use Science 5 instead (in 7th grade) and then go on to Science 8 the next year (thus skipping the General Science). I really like this idea because I do want him to cover anatomy in some depth and my other son will be studying Biology (with SL Science 3) that same year, so it seems it would all go along together very well.

I think SL5 would be great for 7th grade. We did the 4-day schedule, thus leaving out a couple of books. It sounds like yours could do the entire program as written. My only concern would be the fact that he isn't interested in anatomy. We'll either grow interested in anatomy, or be miserable the entire year! And depending on your state's requirements, and your goals for science, are you ok with skipping with General? Is there stuff in the first half of the book (apart from anatomy) that you NEED to cover? If not, I'd be completely fine with skipping the entire book.

But again, that's just my opinion and I'm pretty laid back. But we just loved SL5 science - it's definately more than Apologia's General science would offer, re: anatomy.

Well, I just had him read through all of the course and book descriptions in the catalog and he thought maybe it would be a good idea to cover something that he hasn't studied before. I probably would have already made that decision myself but it does look like it is really focused on anatomy. Some of the other courses have a focus but still include other areas of science, too. Science 5 doesn't look like it would... well, maybe a little.

Hmmmm... now I'm thinking that may be the way to go. I fhe gets tired of it, he can take a break from it. I have other things he will be studying, too.

Our state doesn't designate any requirements for homeschoolers other than enrollment in a program and a minimum days of attendence.

So if we skip the General what would we miss out on?

I think the human body is not covered till module 12.

That's a module 1-11 is a lot of material to miss in my opinion.

There's some great stuff in there and I think a student could gain a lot from review even in 12 and beyond. We did Science 5 and Apologia. I really think that it was good to solidify the human body stuff.

We did SL 5 in 2008/2009. Last year, my dd did General Science from CLE. I had her skip the unit on the human body because we had already covered that. Since she was able to move through the program faster, she had time to finish up another project. So, you could do both w/out doing human anatomy twice. If I had to do it again, I would probably just to go w/General Science and do Human Anatomy using the Apologia Human Body book as a unit in an earlier grade. Lee, hs'ing 5 with one waiting in the wings