Menu

You should check to see if there is a Special Needs Resource center in your area.

While web searching this morning for resources in our community, I came across a website for a resource library in our area. I searched the database and found out that they carry Barton Reading Levels 1-5!!!!!

I called and spoke to a woman there and the Barton is in the library just south of us, so she is sending them an email to see if anyone is there this summer. If so, they will mail me the materials and I can check them out for 9 weeks (pretty sure it is renewable if no one else is waiting.)

I asked for Barton Level 1. They have a ton of other stuff as well and there is an online searchable database. There are tons of math programs, memory programs, phonics programs, etc. As a non-ps teacher, I can get 5 items at a time.

She called me back. Another hs parent has Level 1 and there is a teacher waiting for it. Since school is out, she is going to see if I can get it ahead of the teacher as long as I promise to get it back to her before school starts.

I requested Levels 3 and 4 as well (for my 12yo.) She is going to call me back this afternoon and let me know. I know he could get through Level 3 in less than 9 weeks (he only needs a few lessons) and we could start Level 4.

They have Touch Math as well!

Well, durn it.

They are going to send me Level 1 as soon as it comes back. However, Levels 3 and 4 were donated by a teacher who stipulated that they only be loaned to other teachers.

Man!

So they're going to sit there for the summer?! That's dumb!

Well, durn it.

They are going to send me Level 1 as soon as it comes back. However, Levels 3 and 4 were donated by a teacher who stipulated that they only be loaned to other teachers.

Man!

You are a homeschooling mom. That makes you a teacher. :D Did the donor limit the use to only public school teachers? If not, present yourself not just as their mom, but as their teacher. If you have a HSLDA teacher identification card, it might help to show it. (I obtained a teacher discount at a book store simply by showing my HSLDA i.d.) I wouldn't push it if they don't consider you a teacher, but it might be worth trying. I think its really cool that they offer parents access to some free resources, even if there are some restrictions.

You are a homeschooling mom. That makes you a teacher. :D Did the donor limit the use to only public school teachers? If not, present yourself not just as their mom, but as their teacher. If you have a HSLDA teacher identification card, it might help to show it. (I obtained a teacher discount at a book store simply by showing my HSLDA i.d.) I wouldn't push it if they don't consider you a teacher, but it might be worth trying. I think its really cool that they offer parents access to some free resources, even if there are some restrictions.

Yes, it was for public school teachers only.:glare:

I'll have to come up with the money for the other by myself.