Menu

Anatomy - Teaching Company?

Dd would like an anatomy course for science (12th grade). I'm trying to figure out our options. I don't think Apologia's course would be what she's looking for since she has already completed BJU Biology and I think it would be too similar. I looked at Teaching Company's DVDs: Understanding the Human Body: An Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology. This looks like something she would be interested in, but how can I make this into a full (or even half) credit course? I don't believe this course comes with a text or tests. Any suggestions?

Is your dd interested in pursuing a profession in medicine or allied health field? You could look at a college text like Human Anatomy and Physiology by Gerad Tortora (you can find it on Amazon). I used a microbiology book by him in college and felt it was written well. It appears there is also a study guide to go with it. I think the whole text might be a lot to cover, but you could pick the topics that correspond to the TC lectures.

For me personally I would include at least two disection labs (especially if dd if looking at a medical field for a career. If not you could probably skip.) I know many people are oppossed to disection, but I must say that I think that is the best way to really understand the structures of a body and how they relate (I took cadaver disection in graduate school and that was the best learning experience I ever had). For reference, we also used Gray's Anatomy and Netter's Anatomy (these are just refernce and you would not need both). Just wanted to give my two cents as anatomy was one of my favorite subjects (I am a Physical Therapist, BTW :)) I hope you find something that works for you :D

I don't know abut TTC A&P dvd's, but Kolbe Academy uses Hole's Essential A&P book which, I think is used as a college text(??).

I compared it to Apologia and thought they were about the same.

My ds used BJU Biology and Apologia A&P. Apologia A & P goes more in depth.

s

How about taking Anatomy and Physiology through the Potter's School? I believe they still have spots open for next year. My eldest dd took this class two years ago and thought it was excellent. In fact, she is now taking a&p at the college level and finding that the Potter's School course gave her a very strong foundation.