Menu

When is reading . . . NOT reading?

Does reading a book to your high school student count as them reading it? Our 9th grade son has to read books and list them on his transcript. Will it count if my wife read its out loud? What if we get two copies and she reads a page and he reads a page?

Matt

Does reading a book to your high school student count as them reading it? Our 9th grade son has to read books and list them on his transcript. Will it count if my wife read its out loud? What if we get two copies and she reads a page and he reads a page?

Matt

I don't see why it wouldn't 'count'. After all, there are audio books that many a student uses. I think my husband read out loud to our son until he was 16 (my son, not my husband!) :D Of course, our state doesn't require what you have to deal with. Maybe you could contact a local homeschooling group and ask them. We have a big state hs organization here; you probably have one where you live too.

We've been doing read-alouds of the classics every night since dd was a toddler. We will continue in high school level classes which she will start this fall. She also reads on her own, but I have always counted the read-alouds as books she has read. We've discussed them together.

On the college forum I remember seeing posts about college interviewers asking the student about which books they've "read." If the student can discuss the book, that's what matters.

Edited by chubbyhugs
added "been"

Usually at the high school level, it's *literature,* which includes literary analysis, study of the authors and the history/politics of the time, and a wide variety of genres. If your wife is reading aloud, is she also having your dc do those things?

I have counted audio books at times. My dd can read, does read, and reads a lot. We just decided to do some books occasionally as audio books so we can all enjoy them on a trip. The discussion remains the same. She can write about the book the same. SHe is able to read the book but just did it this way.

Oh! And I was just reminded that my library's summer reading club this year offers "reading time" allottments for doing certain other things that don't have anything to do with reading! I can't recall now what they are but I was shocked when I saw those on the cards that the kids use to log in their reading time!

dd-daughter

ds-son

dc-children

I would count read alouds since part of the learning from the great books is to connect the great ideas, which you can obtain through listening. I think a goal should be independent reading with lots of literary discussion along the way.

Some books lend themselves to audio/visual: Any play, especially those by Shakespeare. They were meant to be heard and seen, not read.

I find I and my students can often comprehend difficult lit if reading along with a WELL read audiobook. This helped extensively with The Scarlet Letter.

:-) Smile - colon right parenthesis

:-( Frown - colon left parenthesis

:-o redfaced – colon-hyphen-small letter o

;-) wink - semi colon right parenthesis

:-D big grin - colon capital D

:-G glum - colon capital G

:-S Cool Breeze - colon capital S (On some sites it will make a smilie wearing shades)

:-P Mr. Pukie - colon capital P (and this one makes a green faced guy who looks like he's going to be ill ...)

AFAIK – As far as I know

BG -- Big Grin

ATTN – Attention

BHOK—Banging Head On Keyboard

BIL – Brother-in-law

BRB -- Be right back (Used primarily in online chats)

BTDT -- Been there, done that

BTW -- By The Way

CG—Cheeky Grin

CUL (CUL8R) -- See you later

DD/DS/DH/DW - Dear Daughter/Dear Son/Dear Husband!/Dear Wife

DDIL/DSIL—Dear Daughter-in-Law/Dear Son-in-Law

DK—Dear Kitty

DP—Dear Pup

FAQ -- Frequently Asked Questions

FCOL – For Crying Out Loud

FIL – Father-in-Law

FOCIA – Falling Off Chair In Amazement

FWIW -- For what it’s worth

FYI -- For your information

GMTA! -- Great Minds Think Alike!

HTH – Hope this helps

HYG—Here you go

IABD – I Am Beyond Dense

IABC—I Am Beyond Clueless

IMHO -- In my humble opinion

IMO -- In My Opinion

IOW – In Other Words

IIRC—If I Remember Correctly

IRL -- In Real Life

ISP -- Internet Service Provider

ISTM – It seems to me

ITA! -- I Totally Agree!

ITRW—In The Real World

IFKWIM—If You Know What I Mean

JK -- Just Kidding

JMHO -- Just My Humble Opinion

JOOC—Just Out Of Curiosity

KWIM—Know What I Mean

LOL -- Lots of Laughs or Laughing Out Loud

LSHTRDMF—Laughing so hard tears rolling down my face

LSNED—Learn Something New Every Day

MIL – Mother-in-Law

NACTL – Not a Clue to Life

NAK – Nursing at Keyboard

NARS – Not A Rocket Scientist

NM—No Message

NT -- No text (especially useful in subject lines)

OIC – “Oh, I seeâ€

OT—“Off Topicâ€

OTOH -- On the other hand

PLMK—Please Let Me KNow

POV -- Point of view

RL -- Real life

ROFL -- Rolling On the Floor Laughing or ROTFL

ROFLMHO -- Rolling On the Floor Laughing My Head Off

ROFLSCOMM—Rolling On theFloor Laughing Spitting Coke On My Monitor

SIL – Sister-in-law

SO -- Significant Other

STM—Seems To Me

SYOTB – See You On The Boards (relating to discussion forums)

TIA -- Thanks In Advance

TPTB -- The Powers That Be

TTFN -- Ta Ta for Now

TTSP -- This Too Shall Pass

TWIT—That’s What I Thought

TYVM! -- Thank You Very Much!

VWP -- Very Well Put

WAGS! -- What A Great Story

WD – Well Done

WP! -- Well Put!

WS—Well Said

WTG -- Way to go

YAAG -- You Are A Genius

YMMV—Your Milage May Vary

YW – You’re Welcome

Ok, I'll probably open up some huge can of worms here, but are you creating this list for a specific college/university that has ASKED for it? I only ask because as transcript clerk working at a university evaluating transcripts we got a lot of these from homeschoolers, never wanted them, never asked for them, didn't need them, and THREW THEM OUT. So I don't know if there's some book out there telling people to do this or if some universities want this or what, but I'd make sure before you bother. Our impression was pretty much what you're conveying: You read a book? That's nice. Now show me what you DID with it.

We never had a school send us reading lists with a transcript. I'd make sure you need one for your prospective schools before you bother.

I don't count listening to books as having read them, JMHO. I think something is lost when someone else reads it for and to us. We lose our individual interpretation of the voices, inflections, etc. Reading a book allows for seeing how words and writing are arranged and that can be a beautiful thing.

I enjoy listening to audio books and we always check out a stack when we take long trips. These are not assigned books, though, just ones we choose for pleasure. We have listened to twaddle as well as classic lit. I would not count the classic books (Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, for example) for credit in any of the lit classes. If DS wants credit for it he needs to check out the book and read it.

Exception: I will allow DS to listen to Shakespeare but he must follow along in the book.

I think listening to a book read aloud can really change one's approach to it. For that reason, I think it's a GOOD idea to do at least some books this way, rather than reading them all alone. If it's a live read aloud it offers a lot of room for discussion and explanation that one will never get while reading alone. Even if it's listening to a tape, there's some value in hearing someone else's take on it.

If ALL the reading is out loud TO the student, I might get concerned about whether they're capable of doing their own reading.

If the student reads aloud to others, that's a different approach that offers different benefits as well.

We're currently reading classics aloud that I had had to read as a high school student. I'm finding I missed a lot when I read it to myself at that age. My kids are tending to pick up on a lot more, because reading aloud forces us to go slower and not skim the boring/hard parts. And we have a LOT more discussion doing it this way.

So yes, I'd definitely count it. If counting is necessary.