Menu

XL Twin bedding for dorm room?

KnitWit

I'm just wondering if anyone has an inside scoop on good deals for dorm room bedding. The beds are XL twin.

I figure Target will eventually have some stuff, but I figured it was worth asking here, just in case someone knows a secret :)

XL twin sheets are harder to find and I think cost a bit more. I've seen them at Target and Walmart..then again, that's where I've gotten all my sheets! The selection grows a lot around back-to-school time. If you don't care much about thread count there will be plenty of inexpensive sets.

XL twin sheets are harder to find and I think cost a bit more. I've seen them at Target and Walmart..then again, that's where I've gotten all my sheets! The selection grows a lot around back-to-school time. If you don't care much about thread count there will be plenty of inexpensive sets.

:iagree:

Here is a place I bought my ds's bedding from http://www.rhl.org/

They sell sets of bedding, towels, etc. I bought from that site and a friend drove around looking for what her ds needed. She ended up spending as much as I did (I got the largest pack) but she couldn't find any mattress cover or egg crate mattress topper. She said that she wasted her time and should have just ordered from this site. My ds really appreciated the egg crate mattress topper because the dorm mattress was pretty hard. It all held up well for the last year and has plenty of life left in it, so I'm glad I did it. I will probably be ordering soon for my next ds.

I'm just wondering if anyone has an inside scoop on good deals for dorm room bedding. The beds are XL twin.

I figure Target will eventually have some stuff, but I figured it was worth asking here, just in case someone knows a secret :)

Last year Penneys had them for I think 1/2 price per set which made them about $20-25 a set.

Here is a place I bought my ds's bedding from http://www.rhl.org/

They sell sets of bedding, towels, etc. I bought from that site and a friend drove around looking for what her ds needed. She ended up spending as much as I did (I got the largest pack) but she couldn't find any mattress cover or egg crate mattress topper. She said that she wasted her time and should have just ordered from this site. My ds really appreciated the egg crate mattress topper because the dorm mattress was pretty hard. It all held up well for the last year and has plenty of life left in it, so I'm glad I did it. I will probably be ordering soon for my next ds.

:iagree:about the good price and the time saved.

We ordered from rhl for my son two years ago. We got the big linens pack from them (comforter, mattress pad, mattress topper, a couple of sets of sheets, towels). He's used all of the items except the egg crate. The linens have held up well but they are not the greatest quality. If ordering for a boy, I'd also get their shower shoes and plastic shower tote. Ds doesn't care about sheets, but dd prefers softer towels, sheets, etc., so I'm shopping around.

From what I remember, Target has them in July, but they are often prints, etc., so you might want to coordinate with a roommate. It was funny to move my ds into his co-ed dorm (by floor). We had to carry his stuff past the girls' rooms to the elevator, and their rooms looked perfectly matched. They had lamps, bean bag chairs, beads, you name it (not that I was being nosy :)). The boys' rooms were all mish-mash. I got a chuckle out of it, but made a note for dd.

Isn't this exciting? I remember spending so much time shopping with my oldest! Dd is gone for most of the summer so it's not the same.

Have fun!

GardenMom

Land's End for the sheets. Their XL twin sheets really are XL twin in both the fitted sheet and the top sheet.

I bought a "bed in a bag" set at Bed, Bath, and Beyond a few years ago that was advertised as XL twin. What I found out was that the fitted sheet was XL twin, but the flat sheet and the comforter were regular twin, and usable, but quite short. If you have a tall kiddo, getting the true XL twin is worth it.

The Company Store sells nice comforters that really are XL twin in length. They are also available in a number of different "weights".

Brenda

Thanks everyone!

We bought a memory foam mattress topper on clearance at Target last fall for about $7.99!!!

My dd DOES know her roomie. We actually live near each other, so yes, the girls are totally into the decorating. However, both families agree they can find something that *works* on a tight budget.

I really appreciate the tips regarding quality. Nothing WORSE than burlap sack sheets! I had some one year as a summer camp counselor. Although, I admit, the WERE nice when my legs were eaten up by mosquitoes! I'd just lie there and rub my legs on my SHEETS! :lol:

This seemed a particularly worthy remark on a post about sheets!

Regards,

Kareni

I wish I were as clever as you!

I bought a set of "t-shirt" XL twin sheets at Wal-mart today for $15. However, since my ds's program is only three weeks long, I am not as concerned about durability. But they do have the t-shirt sets at WM right now.

use code 1JULY4 during checkout for 20% off of orders to $199.99 or 25% off order $200 or more. Offer expires 7/7/10.

Brenda

Thank you!

And...good idea on the flat sheets HSLover!

We stopped in Tuesday Morning today. They had signs up for XL Twin sets for $16.99, but ours was sold out. :(

My Target has stuff now. Bed, Bath, Beyond has tons now. A store we have here called Home Goods has a lot for girls, but less for boys. That's all I've found around here. There are lots of things online. My son chose one of those bed in a bag sets from BBB and it's supposed to be 100% cotton, but it is all very scratchy after I washed it.....

I just dropped my son off at CTD (Northwestern University's version of TIP) on Sunday and found a set of $10 xl sheets at Target. Not the very softest in the world but 1)he's a guy and doesn't really notice such things and 2) it's only for three weeks, so I didn't want to invest a whole lot of money in these sheets. We also got an xl mattress pad for under $7. Again, cheap, but gets the job done. Look for the RE (Room Essentials) product line.

Kohls is having a sale on them right now - on-line and in stores. The ones with a thread count of 275 were pretty nice especially at $13.99 a set.

Note that the 200 count felt like burlap.

Thanks. Used the code TOPSECRET for an additional 20% off - great deal :001_smile:

My son ended up getting one of those sets. They have a lot in now (here, at least). It was a cheap set, but I'm afraid you get what you pay for.... In a collapsable laundry hamper there was a: throw (small, polyester), pillow (very thin), 3 large, stick up "dots" w/ a small write on/wipe off pen, comforter, sham, and sheet set (very coarse texture, even though it's "cotton" and has now been washed). Oh, and I forgot: 2 towels, but they're pretty measly, too.

I couldn't get him to let me buy him decent stuff, so I guess he's going to see when he gets to school that it might pay to listen to mom, occasionally....

My son is the easiest kid on earth, I can buy him most anything and he's happy with it, never complains, but he is concerned about sleeping at college. The mattresses are XL Twins, vinyl/waterproof covered looking mattresses, not like the hospital mat style mattresses, but only about 6-8" thick. He's tall and big so needs extra sproing in his mattress I guess. I've purchased a mattress topper from Target called a "fiber bed" which is a very dense, pillow feeling thing. He felt like he sunk into it and it would get hot. Then I found, at Amazon, something called Sleep Studio ViscO2 Ventilated 2-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Enhancer, Twin XLthat is the dense memory foam looking stuff, but says it is not hot to sleep upon. Its $65, but that's just 2-4 pairs of jeans, and he'll "wear" his bed every night. It would need a nice, tight mattress pad to hold it in place, something with the elasticized sides, not just a small elasticized edge, I am sure.

Anybody have any experience with getting a dorm bed like this, really comfortable? If the $25 memory foam from Target sleeps nicely, and is not too hot, I can save the money, no prob.

Thanks for any direction anybody has to offer!

LBS

Hi LBS,

I have no idea, but I bought the Target memory foam type thing last fall on clearance for about $10. We opened it up so it could *off gas*, but after reading your post, I guess I should have dd sleep on it and *make sure*.

I have the memory foam topper from Costco on my own bed. I LOVE it!

Polly,

Well, I bought the $19 egg-crate, memory foam mattress topper at Target and put it on his current bed. It had no smell at all, but took a couple days to expand, after being roll-packed really tightly. He has a nice mattress on his bed, I had purchased for him last year, so its not a perfect comparison to the vinyl covered mattress at the dorm, but he thinks this topper sleeps a little hot, but not badly. This topper with a super-thick mattress pad, he feels will make his bed workable.

May I ask you which foam topper you got at Costco that you like? Was it the "Right-Temp 3" thick mattress topper"? It does not come in Twin XL, but may help my old matress revive a bit?!

These mattress toppers... do you put a fitted sheet on top of them?

Also, anyone know anything about microfiber sheets? It seems like 100% polyester would make you sweaty. I saw some super cheap microfiber sheets at Big Lots, and wondered if they'd be awful or not.

These mattress toppers... do you put a fitted sheet on top of them?

Yep, and a mattress pad over it too. Just make sure they have deep pockets to fit all the layers. With so many pillow top mattresses on the market, most packages will say how thick they'll handle.

My memory foam topper is by Sleep Innovations. It's about 2.5" thick. I have a pillow by them too and LOVE them both!

And yes, a mattress pad. It comes with a protective cover, then we put the mattress pad over that...then sheets. I LOVE my bed and the mattress is OLD.

Walmart has microfiber XL Twin sheet sets for $7, and I'm pretty sure they have bed in a bag options as well. They've really been pushing the Back-to-College marketing this year, so there are a lot of good deals on dorm needs, etc.

I think my son is going to use the $19 egg crate (says memory foam but it is not dense like the expensive ones, but does have a bit of memory and a good bit of firm squish), a very expensive (50% off coupon) firm mattress pad from BB&B. If he's too hot, then I'll look at the more expensive ventilated style memory foam toppers, or probably the latex ones.

You know Sleep Innovations may be the brand that CR recommended as best. I thought it was a Wal-Mart brand....oh, dagnabbit....now I've gone and found too many choices. Costco has a memory foam latex topper called ViscoFresh that looks just right for husband and my bed....husband is very hot sleeper.

Thanks again, Polly, for remembering to look at that at Costco.

Regarding the microfibre sheets: I wonder if fine pilling might happen on those? I have no idea, but the heat factor would concern me too. Smoothness and softness seems to matter most to my kids, and you can spend a bundle on sheets pretty quickly.

We're hitting IKEA this weekend with measurements in hand....no reply from son's room-mate about any idea about color of room (more a girl thing I suppose), but my son likes all red stuff, some grays, silver....so I hope his room-mate does not show up with all orange or yellow. I wish he'd just let us know if he's doing the fridge or the microwave, though.

Edited by LBS

Regarding the microfibre sheets: I wonder if fine pilling might happen on those? I have no idea, but the heat factor would concern me too. Smoothness and softness seems to matter most to my kids, and you can spend a bundle on sheets pretty quickly.

We're hitting IKEA this weekend with measurements in hand....no reply from son's room-mate about any idea about color of room (more a girl thing I suppose), but my son likes all red stuff, some grays, silver....so I hope his room-mate does not show up with all orange or yellow. I wish he'd just let us know if he's doing the fridge or the microwave, though.

Yes, that was my concern with the microfiber sheets, actually, pilling. Yuck.

We were at IKEA recently, and they only had black sheets in the extra-long size. The woman we spoke to said that they'd discontinued other colors. I find that hard to believe, however. Please report on what you find!

Just wanted to add that the egg crate things were incredibly HOT to us, this Sleep Innovations is NOT at all! :)

My dd has the memory foam thing we picked up at Target last year for about $9. I figure the same, she can start with that, if it's too hot, we'll go to Costco. If not, then GREAT! :)

Three weeks from tomorrow!!!

Okay. Shopping trip in the big city yesterday. So we've found fitted sheets and a mattress pad. The comforter that my son likes was not in stock, and the store was out of cases and flats. Then last night I dreamed that we arrived at the college and the beds were not extra-long twins after all. So much time spent and anxiety about this darned bed!

about what we find at Ikea. We are mainly going for furniture. I felt it might be nicer to have some Ikea stuff rather than the plastic drawers and bins. Also, he wants a nicer office chair, and is a big kid, so the regular desk chair won't fit.

I made quick runs thru BB&B, W-M, Target, Tues.Morn., Kohl's this past week, and the highest thread count/softest/least exp. were at Kohl's, but out of stock. I'm going to look online for them, really attractive patterns and colors. (Edit: the sheets I liked are called "the Big One", and the nice solids colored ones, are not online in XL Twin, just two patterns, major bummer. I guess I'll hit or miss at the store: they have a really dark navy, and a pretty silver blue, that will fit the narrow color list the boy wants.)

Everywhere has mattress pads, and they're made for "up to 15-18" thick mattresses". This is a selling point for a regular mattress, but the school mattresses are considerably less thick, and even with a mattress topper, will be total of 8-10", so I wanted a tight mattress pad, and got one with several rows of elastic to hold the topper in place. It may make no difference at all.

Okay, duh, but how many sets of sheets and towels will you guys send with your kid? I have gotten four oversized towels (not as huge as a bathsheet, but enough to really cover everything in case he walks into his room from shower and has unexpected company), a couple of hand towels (lavatory in room), and a pack of cheapie washcloths (dozen.)

At BB&B I saw a flexible basket, enough for him to carry shampoo, body wash, face wash to bathroom, then set on shelf when he comes back to his room. It was not so cutesy or big as the hard plastic things the girls use. He may think its dorky and not want it, though. What are your male students using? This is a suite, so he just needs to carry stuff a few feet, not down a hall.

Polly, so the Sleep Innovations pad is really not hot? I am getting sucked into the ads for the perforated, aerated, and such...at Costco online mainly. (I'm asking for myself.) The egg crate thing from Target is on sale for $16 right now, but I already had it, and my boy has not said its hot, on his mattress here at home.

Edited by LBS

FYI: Get the dc's address & put it in your wallet. When we couldn't find the mattress pad locally, we ordered it on line from Sears. If I'd had dd's mailing address with me in the store near campus, they would have shipped for free when ordering from that store (even w/dorm delivery).