Menu

Life of Fred

DianeL

Yes, we will be using LOF as a stand alone program next year. We will add a few chapters from another algebra text, but only because I already own it. The beginning algebra book (w/home companion) has 108 lessons.

You might try searching LOF algebra to find some recent threads on the LOF series.

I agree that it can be a stand-alone...but I am cursed with math anxiety and always have a few math curriculums going.

We are using Kinetic Books Alg 1 with LOF Beg Alg/Home Companion and I think it is a great combo. Kinetic Books in done on the computer and doesn't feel like 'work' for the most part. It uses simple games and LOTS of visual explanations to teach. It is also fairly inexpensive.

If you wanted to add something without overloading your student, I think you should check out Kinetic Books. If you want to use Fred alone, I think you're covered as long as you use the home companion. Hope you enjoy Fred as much as we have!

My 8th grader had no trouble getting through LoF Algl. 1 on his own. However after a year of no math in 9th, I just had him start ALEKS Alg. 1 as a quick review before going on to LOF Alg. 2. He scored only about 30% on the initial placement test. I don't know if all kids would forget that much in a year or if it was something about LOF that made the algebra fail to stick with him.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My 8th grader had no trouble getting through LoF Algl. 1 on his own. However after a year of no math in 9th, I just had him start ALEKS Alg. 1 as a quick review before going on to LOF Alg. 2. He scored only about 30% on the initial placement test. I don't know if all kids would forget that much in a year or if it was something about LOF that made the algebra fail to stick with him.

Math is like a foreign language, if you don't use it you loose it. That's why programs that place Geometry in-between Algebra 1 and 2 will review Algebra 1 during Geometry, so the student doesn't forget. I know *I* would forget almost everything over a year if I didn't review it occasionally, and probably wouldn't score as high as 30%:001_huh:

I don't know how it would be a stand alone, but WTM recommends using LOF to supplement other, more traditional, math programs for the logic stage. The suggestion is that you use LOF once a week to add variety and make math fun and interesting for students because of its unique, non-traditional approach. I have not read ahead to know if this the recommendation is the same for rhetoric level, but I ordered LOF for my dd to use this way during 6th - 8th grades along side TT.

Blessings,

Lucinda