Menu

Time to play, "What's on your nightstand?"

A little pre-screening for next year!

The Young Earth

Slaughter of the Dissidents

History in the Making (really excited about this one)

The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady

God and Government

Recipe for Reading

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

The Well Educated Mind

The History of the Ancient World

The Story of Rocks

In Their Own Way

And that's why I never get to Laughing Lioness's 52 books in 52 weeks...always reading for school. Oh, some day, LL, some day. (like I don't love reading about school!)

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

diapers and a sippy cup :D

Since DD sleeps with us I can't read in bed. My reading pile is in the living room and currently consists of:

-Deconstructing Penguins

-Bringing up Girls by Dobson

-Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

-The True story of Pocahontas by Dr. Linwood "Little Bear" Custalow

-Latin Centered Curriculum

-Columbus in the Americas by William Least Heat-Moon

I'm putting together my own American History curric. so I have a lot of pre-reading to do. ;)

Mine is the big pile next to my bed (which yours must be too, otherwise you have got a biiiig nightstand!)

Pocketful of Pinecones

School as a Journey-The Eight-Year Odyssey of a Waldorf Teacher and His Class

SOS! The Six O'Clock Scramble to the Rescue (great cookbook)

Bringing Up Boys

3 HS catalogs-Christian Light, Sonlight and Winterpromise (love to read these before bed)

Bible

The Lady and the Unicorn (book of the week)

Looks like you have some hefty reading, there!

I have a very strange combo on my nightstand:

Twilight (review here, heh-heh :) )

The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundatins of Classical Education (review here with lots of quotes from the book)

The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey

The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (read-aloud with kids)

Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle

French Milk by Lucy Knisley

A Year with C.S. Lewis

The Intellectual Devotional

I consider what I read for school or with kids as part of my 52. As long as I'm reading a variety of things and stretching my brain. :)

LOL....the 1st volume of Charlotte Mason's set is on my nightstand.

On my end table in the LR is Dumbing Down by Gatto, some samples from Winter Promise and Trail Guide Geography, the second Andreola book (after the Pinecone), catalog from WP and HOD, Joyful Homeschooling by Mary Hood....there's more piled up, but I can't remember them all.

funny.

• The Odyssey translated by Robert Fitzgerald is my current read. I'm about halfway through it. It's my first time ever to read it.

Dh is picking up from the library for me tonight:

• Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
  • The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
  • The Shallows: What The Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr

On my nightstand (or on the couch or porch or swing during the day) -

The Great Tradition - I'm still trying to get a good idea of what an educated person is from primary source reading. I'm about a third of the way through. Quintillian was amazingly interesting as was many of the others.

Moby Dick - Chapter 37 which is now where near halfway. I hope to have it finished in time to assign it to my dd in highschool. :)

Forever Peace which is my second by Joe Haldeman recently. I love sci-fi and this is amazing if for nothing else than for the historical idea of future technology and its influence on culture, politics and warfare.

• SWB's History of the Medieval World bookmarked at pg. 56, the beginning of chapter 8 entitled "The Catholic Church". I felt ambivalent as to whether or not to read that particular chapter so I put the book aside.
  • The Singapore Model Method for Learning Mathematics bookmarked on pg. 14, the beginning of chapter 3. I put it aside when my library hold came in.
  • The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice are Undermining Education by Diane Ravitch. There was so much controversy when this book came out that I just had to read it even though I knew I would disagree with many of her positions. I'm finding it very interesting even if I don't find her arguments on certain topics convincing.

Um.... The Three Little Pigs.

Scarey, huh?

I do also have Beautiful in God's Eyes and The Well Educated Mind. I'm finding WEM interesting. It makes me think that maybe we should start our educational journey reading it first so as to see the end goal, then plan backwards with the end goal in mind.

*Mighty men by Eleanor Farjeon - Found this gem at our church library, contemplating buying one as a read aloud.

*Grammar Island - MCT - looking it over for next year

*Gulliver's Travels - About to start reading it for the first time.

*Oxford advanced learner's dictionary - this one never gets put away.

*God will make a way by Cloud and Townsend

*2 Bibles

*A Grammar book for you and I, oops me - self study, refresher.

*Herbs at a glance

*Wheelock's Latin - Suppose to be for self study, but it has been there for months and I have not gotten far.

*Sudoku puzzle book

* Jane Eyre - Finished reading it for the 3rd time, but have not put it away yet.

Lost in a Good Book

and a collection of short stories by Joe Hill that I'll probably enjoy but it keeps getting bumped for other things.

On audiobook I'm listening to the Georgia Nicolson books. Yeah - they're fluff, but I mainly listen to audiobooks while doing housework. Listening to "fluff" means that it's no big deal if I miss a bit while scrubbing or vacuuming. And Georgia makes me laugh quite loudly sometimes.

An Irreverent and Incomplete Social History of Almost Everything

http://www.amazon.com/Irreverent-Thoroughly-Incomplete-Everything-Scarborough/dp/0812822080

which is very funny. Many quotes from history about art, education, and food. My favourite so far is what Twain said about Turner's "The Slave Ship": A tortoise-shell cat having a fit on a platter of tomatoes.

Here is the painting: http://www.victorianweb.org/painting/turner/paintings/slaveship.html

WTM, editions 1 and 2

Barron's Pocket Guide to Correct Grammar

An old copy of Warriners Complete Course

Njal's Saga

Home Science Tools catalog

Carson-Dellosa's Worktext Diagramming Sentences.

Wow - Ya'lls nightstands must be made of reinforced steel!!! The weight of those reading lists is staggering!

Mine is much smaller....

A History of Rome (Le Glay)

Ancient Rome (Mackay)

Egypt Greece & Rome (Freeman)

and my Nook (on which I am reading Livy, and a bunch of fluff books :) )

Okay, so not exactly on the nightstand (since I don't have one). But, on my "currently reading" list:

The Well-Educated Mind

Don Quioxte (I may never finish this, I've been in ch. 1 for 3 months)

The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green

Beowulf: A New Telling by Nye

Catharine, Called Birdy by Cushman

Clash of Cultures: Prehistory to 1638 by Collier

The Simarillion by Tolkien

Farmer Giles of Ham by Tolkien

Scriptures

I just finished The Help by Katharyn Stockett which I really enjoyed.

Sadly, this isn't even half the books I need to preread for next year:001_huh:,

We're headed on vacation next week and I'm trying to decide which, if any, of these I want to take or if I want to just get some brain candy and relax instead of prepping for school while we travel. Do I dare "waste" my time reading for pleasure instead of school or self-improvement??;)

Hey Jen, I too am getting ready to read some Tolkein! I didn't even REALIZE he had children's level books beyond the Hobbit. They're not out of my library bag yet, but some of your titles match mine. :)

Our greatest find for this year has been the Lady Grace mysteries written under the name Grace Cavendish (variety of authors). Dd LOVES them. I don't preread stuff like that, just sort of trust the source. Tried Terry Pratchett on her today and it turned out to be way "too weird" to her, go figure. Probably would have been up my alley.

Thought I'd read that children's Tolkein stuff, reread the Hobbit, then find a nice copy of LoTR to suit me. I've never even read LoTR, so it's time. Meanwhile I've been reading books on machine quilting and knitting (hand, not machine). Don't have time for much intellectual reading beyond that. I seem to suck the rest of my time into researching therapy stuff.

Oh, I should explain the LoTR and Tolkein reading is because I'm working a bit at a time on Omnibus2. My theory has been to spread the reading out over 3 years (O1 last summer, O2 this summer, O3 next), in order to be ready to go when we hit 7th. I'm not obsessive about it, but I try to put in some time here and there to get some familiarity. Things have more perspective when you are coming to them for the 2nd or 3rd time rather than seeing them the first time when you hit a program.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth by James M. Tabor

The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson

I don't know how you guys concentrate on so many books at one time!

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Edmund Morris

The Bible-ESV

Aveeno lotion

Nystatin powder for dd's diaper rash

Plum Island-Nelson DeMille

Shoal of Time-History of the Hawaiian Islands, Gavin Dawes

The View From Pompey's Head, 1939 version, Hamilton Basso

Square Foot Gardening, Mel Bartholomew

Better Homes and Garden-Nov 2009

The Naming of the Dead, Ian Rankin

I keep a mixture of reading material since some days my brain is completely fried at the end of the day and some days it's only slightly sauteed. That alone governs what I can handle at my bedtime reading.

On my night stand I have:

On the Origin of Species - A bit of light reading. ;)

Jane Eyre - re-reading, one of my all time favorites.

Wuthering Heights - same with this.

The Bronze Bow - pre-reading this.

The Complete Verse of Edward Lear

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Prescreening: Reading through The Drama of American History, The World in Ancient Times, The Story of Science. Just finishing working through Latin Prep 2, and CLC Unit 2.

Most other reading has been set aside. I recently finished Why Buildings Stand Up, and started Why Buildings Fall Down.

Confederates in the Attic

What Hath God Wrought

Nathaniel's Nutmeg

For All the Tea in China

Tina, please post when you get throughDiary of an Edwardian Lady... I've had it for years and have not gotten to it yet. It looks so gorgeous!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

How fun! In order from top to bottom (I have a problem with priorities!)...

Roughing It by Mark Twain

Fireworks, Picnics, and Flags: The Story of the Fourth of July Symbols by James Cross Giblin

Nurture Shock by Po Bronson & Ashley Merryman

Comprehension and Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action

When Children Love to Learn (it lives on my nightstand, actually)

Nurturing Inquiry: Real Science for the Elementary Classroom by Charles Pearce (ditto)

Teaching Swimming and Water Safety

Usborne Parents' Guides: Teach Your Child to Swim

The Core Program: 15 Minutes a Day That Can Change Your Life (really, really should move this one to the top of the stack so my life can start changing! :tongue_smilie:)

Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child (ditto)

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain

Doing What Scientists Do: Children Learn to Investigate Their World

Math Power: How to Help Your Child Love Math, Even If You Don't

Hmmm. All that non-fiction. I find it mildly hilarious that the one work of fiction is on the top. What does that say about me? :lol:

Oh, I should explain the LoTR and Tolkein reading is because I'm working a bit at a time on Omnibus2. My theory has been to spread the reading out over 3 years (O1 last summer, O2 this summer, O3 next), in order to be ready to go when we hit 7th. I'm not obsessive about it, but I try to put in some time here and there to get some familiarity. Things have more perspective when you are coming to them for the 2nd or 3rd time rather than seeing them the first time when you hit a program.

Indeed, thus my mad rush and heavy nightstand...which is really a dresser, so the space is large..and completely covered with lamp, books, glasses, water bottle. In fact, I'm heading there now :)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I don't know how you guys concentrate on so many books at one time!

That's what the bottom of the stack is for... :lol:

Murder on the Orient Express (just started this one. Can you believe I've never read an Agatha Christie???)

The History of the Church-textbook for next year

Thomas Aquinas (it's an intro to him, can't remember the author)

Dante's Inferno (to read for next year as well)

Bible

NLT Children's illustrated Bible

Rose Book of maps and charts

Church History made easy

Greenleaf Guide to the OT

TWTM (LOL at how many of us have this on our nightstands)

SOTW 1 & the Usborne Encylclopedia of the Ancient World (planning for the fall)

Children's Book of Virtues

A beautiful picture book of Longfellow's Hiawatha

Stellaluna