Menu

Travel while HSing

AspieMel

We may be taking a trip later this fall to Jacksonville, FL, to the Mayo Clinic, and may be there for a week or more. Anyone have tips for teaching while on a trip or travel? Or do we just take a break and catch up later? While there, most likely hubby will be "teaching" as I'll be in dr. offices.

We may be taking a trip later this fall to Jacksonville, FL, to the Mayo Clinic, and may be there for a week or more. Anyone have tips for teaching while on a trip or travel? Or do we just take a break and catch up later? While there, most likely hubby will be "teaching" as I'll be in dr. offices.

We took a 2 week trip last fall, and a 3 week trip late winter. We tried to school a little bit, but it was difficult to get our regular work done. What we did do, was have the kids journal every day on what they did during the day. We read every day. We practiced music a little bit. And we took in as much of the local museums, history, parks, etc as possible. On the back end, the kids learned a lot during the trips. I think they now know more about desert fauna and wildlife than our own! We'll have to work on that this summer.

I hope your doctor's visits go well! All the best.

When we travel we usually just take the time off. The last trip we took, I bought the boys small blank sketchbooks and new colored pencils with the goal of having them "journal" something semi-daily. I stink at journaling on my own, so there was very little follow-through with this.

What you might want to consider is what DH will do to keep your children entertained/distracted while you're in appointments. Will he be in a hotel room with them? In a waiting room? Is there some kind of "family room" with tables for people who are waiting at the clinic?

That might include bringing some of your regular school stuff, or you might bring drawing paper and crayons/pencils, packs of cards (we worked on mental addition while playing blackjack - that's not for every family, but it's a simple enough game and we didn't play with chips), some activity puzzle books, etc. You might be able to print off some things that are related to your current work (simple word searches?) so that you're reinforcing work you're doing.

If there will be tables, and you think your children will benefit from maintaining some semblance of the current routine, then definitely bring that work. If you think they'll be fine just having a little vacation with Dad (parks? zoos?) then just do that. The little sketchbooks might be nice because then the children could (in the car?) do little drawings to show you what they did with their day while you were with the doctor. Or, take pictures daily, upload them somewhere and have your children create the captions (with you or DH as scribe if necessary). You could get the books printed (like with shutterfly or something) or just have them on your blog or whatever.

Great ideas on the journals, thanks :) My oldest loves to "journal". Hubby doesn't mind doing the HSing, and we do have plenty of workbooks. Just not sure how they'll handle the break from familiar surroundings w/ the schooling.. They get very over-stimulated in new surroundings quite easily.. So maybe we'll just do some "lite" fun learning while gone... Got some time to think on it :)

I am the professional curriculum taker but most of the time not much gets done. I wish I had been more diligent about a travel journal, and maps. They would love to look at them now. We did go over Bible verses, math song table songs, and good books in the car. I wouldn't trade away any of our trips but I don't recommend carrying too much weight. Oh and we always had sketch books and reading materials and a game or two, legos and whatever. "Lite" fun is good. I hope your appointments go well.

This is why year-round schooling is so nice ;)

When we go to WDW in November, we will take *at least* two weeks off. We are in WDW for eight days, and I *know* J will be exhausted when we get back. So, if that means schooling on "different" days, ie the weekends, we do it.

Could anyone come help Richard with the kiddos? :grouphug: to you both, it will be an interesting couple of weeks filled with new experinces and hopefully answers for you.

We visit museums and attractions. The kids each pick out a postcard or two from the giftshop. On the back of the postcard, I have my children write about their visit. Young children write a sentence. As the children have gotten older, they now write a few paragraphs. That along with math is about all we do.