Menu

Questions Teaching Music

KJsMom

I need help! I love music and realize the importance of teaching music, but I need suggestions. I never learned to read music, can't remember the basic terms, and I'm pretty much useless in this area. My oldest dd really wants to learn to play both the piano and the guitar so I do plan to get lessons for her, but shouldn't she have a foundation before she begins? I need something like teaching music for dummies. :tongue_smilie:

I need help! I love music and realize the importance of teaching music, but I need suggestions. I never learned to read music, can't remember the basic terms, and I'm pretty much useless in this area. My oldest dd really wants to learn to play both the piano and the guitar so I do plan to get lessons for her, but shouldn't she have a foundation before she begins? I need something like teaching music for dummies. :tongue_smilie:

Don't worry. I faced this same problem when my daughter wanted to pay violin. I went a little crazy trying to expose her to music and music theory before signing her up for lessons. Thankfully I didn't really get anywhere with it.

Finally I signed her up. She couldn't read a lick of music and had a tin ear. Now she's going into her second year, has passed her RCM grade 2 practical exams (She'll be taking her grade 3 theory in late fall), is developing an ear and can pick up and play any of her music. I simply told her violin teacher that she'd had no music education and the teacher took it from there. Her teacher took care of everything.

Don't worry about it or over think it. You're paying the teacher to teach her music and that's what he/she will do.

I got my degree in Piano Pedagogy so maybe I can help :) Do you plan to sign your daughter up for private lessons, or are you looking to do something on your own? Back before I had children, and had a studio instead, I had several students without any musical experience at all. It isn't necessary for your daughter to go into lessons with a foundation. Piano method books start at the very very beginning, and normally include: lesson, theory, and performance books. Most likely the teacher will already have a series he is comfortable working with, will assess where your child is at, and assign the proper level. It's more important that you find a teacher that both of you like and feel comfortable with. I grew up taking piano lessons and hated them. During my high school years, my family moved to Texas and we found a new teacher who totally changed my outlook on music, and I ended up majoring in it in college. So, having a good relationship with the teacher is a really important aspect to music learning.

If you would like to get a Music for Dummies book to help you help her, that would be fine, at least then you'd know what she's talking about. I really like the materials by Faber and Faber. Last year I started my son (now 7) in "My Very First Piano Adventure" and I'll be starting my daughter (5) in it this year. I used to teach their "Basic Piano Adventures" series to my older students. If you aren't ready to try formal lessons with her, I would suggest looking at the primer/beginner levels and see if it is something you can work through together. They are usually pretty straightforward and easy to interpret.

http://pianoadventures.com/

http://pianoadventures.com/publications/mainLibraries/pianoAdventures.html

Take care,

Leah

If you have the resources to get lessons for your dd, go ahead, just make sure the teacher is experienced with beginners. The teacher will have her own method of teaching to read music. You should expect a music teacher to provide the foundation your dd needs – the teacher should not expect a beginner to know anything.

I was fortunate to take violin lessons beginning in 5th grade. Classes were offered at my school twice a week. I didn’t know how to read music and was terrified I would never learn! At the 1st class, the teacher gave each student a sheet of blank staff paper and told us to go home and write 50 words with the letters on the proper line or space. It was like magic – I could read music.

I consider my music education to have been life changing, even though I have no talent for music and currently I do not play any instrument. I was exposed to music I would not have ever listened to. It was time and money well spent.

Best wishes

OK, I'm feeling much better now. I had convinced myself that the teacher would expect her to have some experience reading music, but it makes sense that she would know a beginner wouldn't. Thank you for pointing that out. :tongue_smilie: I had very basic music in elementary PS and don't remember much of anything, so that is one of the areas I really don't feel confident to teach.