Menu

Kindergarten

curlie

Below is our plan...maybe it will give you a few ideas you'd like to try. This is an exhaustive list of curriculua I'd like to use, not a daily plan. :)

Aletheia Academy Course of Study 2008-09: preK-4 and K

Bible

Catherine Vos Children’s Story Bible

Bible Coloring Book (Veritas Press)

Big Book of Questions and Answers (Veritas Press)

Victor Journey Through the Bible (VP)

Student Bible Atlas (Dowling-VP)

Language Arts

Phonics

Phonics Pathways

Explode the Code

Reading

McGuffey Reader Primer (Rainbow Resource)

Elson Reader K(RR)

Bob Books

other easy readers (Henry and Mudge, Frog and Toad, Little Bear

Grammar

Junior Mad Libs (RR)

Living Books

Handwriting

Start Write (RR)

Italic Handwriting Books A and B (RR)

Copywork (from Scripture, literature, etc.)

Literature/Read Alouds (selections from Ambleside Online, Honey for a Child’s Heart, etc.)

Latin: Song School Latin (Classical Academic Press)

Greek: A Greek Alphabetarion

Math

Manipulatives (cubes, pattern blocks, geoboard, abacus, counters, etc)

Addition facts 1-12 (classical math facts CD, flashcards)[

Living Books

Logic

First-time Analogies

Mind Benders Beginning 1

Art

Monart Class

Crafts and free choice skills practice

Appreciation (art cards)

Music

Lessons: Piano and Recorder

Appreciation: Hymns, Folksongs, Classical; Composers Book

History RA: Hillyer’s A Child’s History of the World (RR

Geography

Material Worlds (Queen Homeschool)

Child’s Atlas

Science and Nature

Matres Magistres Co-op: Topical Studies

Nature readers

The Usborne Complete First Book of Nature

The Story Book of Birds and Beasts, Animal Life in Field and Garden- J Fabre (QH)

James Herriot’s Treasury for Children (Amazon)

Observation and Journaling: Clare Walker’s Keeping a Nature Journal

Health: Prudence With the Millers

Physical Education: activity log

The only "curricula" we used was Phonics Pathways to learn to read, Singapore Earlybird 2A and 2B for math, and RFH K to learn to write. The rest was reading reading reading many wonderful books to dd. I used several lists to plan my library trips to make sure we had great books to read:

*Sonlight catalog (also bought some of the PreK and K books)

*1000 Good Books List picture book section at http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

*Ambleside Online year 0 list

*FIAR books

*Let's Read and Find Out science books

We also started reading chapter books as night time read alouds: the Little House on the Prairie series, James and the Giant Peach, My Father's Dragon, Mr. Popper's Penguins, and many others.

This is what I'm doing now with a 4 1/2 yr old. We do a little bit and I plan on next year basically continuing the same. It will sort of be a kindergarten year, going as slowly or as fast as seems to suit him. He has a late birthday so "officially" wouldn't be in kindergarten in the fall.

Five in a Row (We're doing this now, he loves it and it works well for us. Very flexible)

OPGTR and ETC (We're going super slowly through Book 1 of ETC. He likes it. We do about 10-15 min a day right now.)

Singapore Earlybird (We've done 1A, 1B and most of 2A. I felt like he needed to slow down so right now we're doing a lot of math games and just fun stuff.)

Handwriting Without Tears (I just started this yesterday. He likes it so far. :) We've only done 5 min each day).

That sounds like a lot for his age but the phonics/math/handwriting are altogether about 30-45 minutes. The FIAR is mostly reading books together and a way to get me to plan out arts, fun science stuff, etc.

I know others will tell you to be relaxed...and I think that is great advice. I had a lot of people here tell me to just have fun with him at this age. I'm guessing if you're asking this question, you may be like me and want need/more structure. What's worked for me is to have all the stuff to do but to remember that he's little. So if there is a day where he wants to just play with Legos or go outside or look at books or whatever...I'm ok with that right now. Most of the time he enjoys doing the little bit of "school" we do and it helps me structure our days.

What did you do for kindergarten?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas, input, etc.

ETC books

OPGTR

Saxon K and 1

HWT

read/Bob books

She also does Galloping the Globe with us for Geography, Themes to Remember (music), The art book for children, Apologia Astronomy, and Sonlight History (ancients)---of course she does all these very informally! She sits and listens, but has learned a lot.

Her favorite subject/studies-swinging, laying on the hammock,playing with her polly pockets, and riding her bike!

The only requirement for K I have is learning to read (if able) with OPGTR and learning the books of the Bible(again if able). Other than that, we have LOTS of free play and LOTS of read aloud time. I have coloring books and crayons and R&S workbooks if want/needed. Chores are also required by age 5.

I have two very active boys and play time is a must. Reading aloud is also very important. My ds9 could not handle reading until he was in 1st grade but now he is an avid reader. Ds 5 is learning to read now.

I also try to encourage coloring in the Dover coloring books, nature, history whatever topic they like or the maps and coloring pages used in SOTW. I try to stay away from pop culture material like Disney, etc. The same is true for electronic media. I allow 30 mins of television time per day this include computer, video games etc. again avoiding the pop culture topics.

Well each of my girls were different .

With my oldest I used

100 Easy Lessons for learning to read

BJU K math

A Reason for Handwriting somewhere in there

With my 2nd daughter I used :

Calvert 1st grade .

She did K for Prek and went to preschool three days a week . But when she came home she wanted school work to do . So for PreK (K) I used :

Christian Liberty Hearts and Hands

Rod and Staff Prek series

and Saxon K math and that all seemed to be enough to start her in Calvert 1 for her K year .

My third daughter I'm still deciding .

Right now I'm using a few Kumon workbooks right now and she goes to preschool at our church .

But these are my options :

Option 1 :

Rod and Staff ABC series

And 100 Easy Lessons

Option 2 :

Horizons K math

100 Easy Lessons

( haven't decided on what handwriting program yet )

Option 3 :

Let's just say I have too many options and haven't touched the surface on what I want to try with my 3rd daughter yet . LOL!

Here's what I did this year with my youngest:

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading along with Phonics Pathways

R&S Reading 1 Unit 1 (at the end of the year)

R&S Math 1

R&S Developing Motor Skills

SOTW Vol I

LLB Life Science

I didn't plan quite as much for Kindergarten with my older boys, but my youngest wants to do what his older brothers are doing, so I've added to his schedule this year. There's really only a short time frame when they actually ask to do school...

Explode the Code (Almost finished with Book 1)

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

Various Readers (BOB books and others)

Zaner-Bloser Handwriting K

Saxon K and Saxon 1

Singapore Earlybird Math (1A - 2B)

Nature Study

Various at-home science "experiments" (no curriculum, just lots of exploration)

Free art (well-stocked art cupboard, with paints and markers, and collage stuff, and everything imaginable, with free access throughout the day)

Lots of P.E. (gymnastics, tae kwon do, bike riding, swimming)

Lots of read-alouds. (Starting to read longer picture books and chapter books.)

Field trips to the zoo, science museum, art museum, parks, etc.

We keep everything relaxed, and don't feel the need to do everything every day, or even to do anything any particular day. When she is interested, we do lots of school one day, and then maybe nothing for the rest of the week. She's making progress in the basics - reading, handwriting, and math - and is intersted in the world around her. Can't ask for anything more.

Hi!

Math-

My dd is pre-k this year but has jumped ahead of my previous plans. We are just now starting R&S grade 1 and I think this will be a great fit for her now and next year. Since she is starting the series early I hope to either bounce between the R&S texts and Singapore or I may just use Singapore thereafter.

Reading and Phonics- Here again she jumped ahead of me (LOL) and I don't have a solid plan for her here. She is reading the Frog and Toad books quite easily but I am still taking her through a phonics program to be sure not to have any gaps. We are using Alphaphonics and this is good for us so that her level of reading can be worked on without all of the writing. I also have some Montessori cards from when I worked at a Montessori school and use these for phonics instruction. There are cards to represent all vowel patterns, digraphs, short vowels and long. There are 4 picture cards and 4 matching word labels. We use these and make mini-books out of them. She matches the cards correctly and then makes her own version by drawing the picture and then writing the word underneath. We'll work on this and simply reading together. That's the plan for now. I also have some file folder type games for her to use and word building cards too.

Writing- I have Italics A

Literature- reading from For The Children's Hour (this is like an anthology)

Geography, Science and more literature- We are using FIAR and HSS (Homeschool Share) to study countries and read picture books to go along. I hope to cover Africa, Antarctica, Arctic Circle, Austrailia and South/Central America/Mexico. We'll cover Europe, North America and Asia in first.

Music-classical and suzuki piano lessons + Haydn (composer study for big sister)

P.E.- Misc. + ballet

Art-crafts and Monet (artist study for big sister)

French songs for fun and "Star-Spangled Banner"

I think that's everything. I have a "go with the flow" type attitude with her since she is so young. If we cover a few basics and if she's done then that's good for me too. She is an eager learner and I often have to tell her firmly we've done enough of something just to keep her from getting sloppy when she is tired. She is such a delight as they all are!

HTH

I can't wait to jump back into this w/ my ds5 (we're taking a break b/c I'm due w/ baby #7 any day). Very complete, fun, all laid out for you, etc. Up until now, K was always just learning to read, some fun math, lots of reading aloud together and just play. I wanted something more structured this year and MFW K fits the bill quite nicely. For my younger dd2, we are going to use Little Hands to Heaven. It's for ages 2-5 and my ds5 will most likely join in just for the Bible reading and "fun". FIAR is also a nice, gentle K program. Just add some phonics like OPG or Phonics Pathways and some math and you are set. I'm torn btwn using a separate math program w/ ds5. MFW K has math, but I'm not sure it's enough for us.

Anyway, have fun! I love K.

Can I suggest MFW K?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very complete, fun, all laid out for you, etc.

:iagree:

I used this, though I didn't use their phonics program (only because I had already started 100EZ Lessons). It was a wonderful program - we had SO much fun. And hey, isn't that what K is all about?

Now, I wish we had started with a little more formal math - we did some stuff, but I realize that this is an area we could have focused more. Maybe not formal, that's probably the wrong word. I should have just been more conscious of getting mathematical thinking into our days - games, books, manipulatives, etc. However, now, about 3/4 done with first grade, we are not "behind" at all; it's just that dd had some mental blocks (I hate math, etc.) that we had to work through. I think if we had just been more in the habit of doing it, we may not have had this issue. Maybe. Who knows? :tongue_smilie:

Anyway - I highly recommend MFW K, it's terrific. Oh! I used (still do) Ambleside Online for read-aloud suggestions; there are some really terrific books listed over there.

:)

Melissa

The three R's at a relaxed pace.

Phonics--basically the alphabet and sounds with the focus being on phonics and without a goal of actually reading by the end of the year.

Penmanship--learning to write both upper and lower case letters

Mathematics--We use Singapore Earlybird and begin Primary Math 1a if they are a bit advanced.

I also read good books that we pick up from the library on a variety of topics including science, math, art, literature and fun books.

Stuart J. Murphy's mathstart books are great and so are a lot of the easy reader non-fiction books.

Hope you have lots of fun in K.:001_smile:

Sonlight Core C (now called K) - such great read alouds!

Horizons K

Explode the Code

I ran into someone last year at a homeschooling conference and I so appreciate her advice for K -- Keep it simple! Focus on learning to read, introduce math, read a lot of fun books.

We have had a great year!

Tami

I am planning on writing my own Charlotte Mason inspired lesson plans using various books for my K daughter. I will also be purchasing RightStart Math which you won't see on the lesson plans. I will probably add in Explode the Code and one of my reading programs I already have on my shelf. Either Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lesson, Phonics Pathways or AlphaPhonics. Whichever one clicks with her.

You can see the first weeks plan listed on my blog. www.homeschoolblogger.com/michellemybell

Michelle

With my 4 yr old I'm doing Preschool Plus, Living Learning books science Level 1, Science is Simple, Math literature, How to teach your child to read in 100 ez lessons, Kumon workbooks, developing the early learner workbooks, Hubbard's cupboard bible and character. I also just go the Christian Liberty Press American People and Nation Text and I plan on using that as a guide and then checking out books to go along with it from the library off of a list from Home learning year by year.

In Dec he will be 5 so we will start Kindergarten next Jan and this is what I have planned.

Age/Grade: Kindergarten, 5years- 6years

Handwriting: Happy Handwrting

Reading: LLATL blue, pathway 1st grade readers

Math: Rightstart A

Science: Living Learning Books Level 2

Art: Visual Manna’s Preschool and Elementary Art

Spanish: The Easy Spanish Jr

Music: Zeezok Publishing

Geography Galloping the Globe (I plan on using this lightly over 2 yrs)

History/Bible: Little Hearts for His Glory

Health: Prudence and the Millers

Character: Beautiful Feet

I just wanted to add that my ds4 is always asking for more school. That is why the list is so long.

My daughter did:

A Reason for Handwriting

Funnix 1 for reading followed by Pathway Readers

Rightstart Math A

Sonlight 1 (Read-alouds, History and Bible) with her 8 year old brother

She also learned the states and capitals and continents using http://www.sheppardsoftware.com and did some other memory work

Our days were short and sweet, but she is doing very well in all areas. This is my "easy" one.

Lisa

I have a K'er this year and we are doing:

FIAR

Rightstart Level A

The Writing Road to Reading (just starting this now)

Leading Little Ones to God

Piano lessons (just started)

That's it for our formal school. The rest of the day we play games, read, draw/color, play outside (although we didn't get to do this too much this winter), listen to music, etc.

Sing Spell Read Write 1st Grade (comes with great readers)

Some Spelling Workout A at the end of the year and will finish in the summer

Saxon Math 1

Story of the World Ancients (she loved this)

Nature Study with nature journal...started this the latter half of the year

Read Alouds by Mom Winnie the PooH original, The Lion, The Witch The Wardrobe, A Cricket in Times Square etc.

She also had an art and music class once a week at co-op

When my 7yo was in K, we did:

BJU K Math

BJU K Beginnings (Phonics & Reading that integrates science & social studies)

Going thru K again with a 5yo. We're doing:

BJU K Math

Explode the Code (Book 1, just started Book 2)

Handwriting Without Tears

BJU K's easy readers (I just couldn't bring myself to use the whole program all over again)

Both kiddos are using Sonlight Core C (a.k.a. Core K) for Bible, Science, History, & Read-alouds. Science & History really aren't necessary for K, but I thought I would combine kids & let them learn these subjects together.

Good luck! Everyone told me that the K year is the most fun, but I really thought it was the most stressful with my firstborn!!! I'm learning now that if I relax and don't stress about hitting a big list of goals, then it really can be fun. :chillpill:

This is what we're working on now. We're not doing any phonics because DD5 is already a fluent reader.

Galloping the Globe for a light geography guideline (we read one or two nonfiction books about each country, and one or two fiction books, make a food or go to a restaurant, and maybe do a craft, though none of us is very craft-oriented)

Five in a Row (I own books 1-3, so when possible, we choose a book that corresponds with the country of the week)

HWOT K

Right Start Math A (LOVE this)

Lots of other books, as we feel an interest

Becca will technically be in K this fall, but I'm planning to go with TWTM first grade plan. She's already working on HWT My Printing Book, SWO A, and ETC 1 1/2. I have Saxon Math 1 on the way. I'm planning on doing Ancients with Becca, but going with more activities and crafts so she can have fun with history right now. And we'll do the science as well.

I figure I can always back off and let her play around or wander off track a bit as we figure this out. She already reads and writes well, and she loves worksheets and reading. I need to err on the side of more just so I can keep up with her!

My oldest will start kindergarten in the fall.

Here's my current plan (it has changed several times of the past few months.)

Language Arts:

- Spell to Write and Read

- shared reading with narration

- copywork for handwriting

- First Language Lessons (if we have time)

Math:

- Right Start Math

- various math games

- The Verbal Math Lesson (for drill)

Science & Social Studies: Five In A Row

Art: drawing

PE: Ballet

Music: Pianimals

Foreign Language: Chinese (still changing my mind about specific curricula)

Weekly tirps to the library

Circle Time (with DD2)

- fingerplays & action songs

- picture book read alouds

I hope it isn't too much.

-Kuovonne

For K next year, we will be playing it by ear and it will be very relaxed. We will be learning letter sounds. If my dd catches on easily to this I will transition her to OPGTR.

We will be doing lots and lots of living math. I do have RightStart A and I have used it with my other two. But I want to do things differently with my youngest, so I am going to take the living math approach until I can't do it anymore.

We will also be using OakMeadow K for the filler things like music and movement, nature study, craft, etc.

For K we have done:

Phonics - Phonics Pathways (typically finishing up the book) with various readers

Math - Singapore 1A and Miquon Orange alternated to stretch out a year

Handwriting - tracing letters, copying short words or phrases (based on abilities)

Lots of reading aloud - some alone with Mom, some listening in with older siblings

Typically the actual K lessons last 45 minutes to an hour at the most plus however much time the Ker chooses to listen in on older read alouds.

I did K this past year with a young ds (will be 6 in June):

Horizons Phonics & Reading K

Liberty Mathematics K

Bible Stories to Read

Studying God's Word B

A Beka Health, Safety, and Manners 1,

and then CLP The World God Made

CLP History for Little Pilgrims

A Beka My America, My World

A Beka Social Studies K

Living math book list (2/wk)

Science living books list (2/wk)

Picture book list (2/wk)

Art and music living books (1/wk)

Poetry memorization

Memory verses

Catechism

Art classes

Contenders for the Faith club

Literature list:

Lessons from the Farmyard

The Real Mother Goose

The Aesop for Children (selections)

Beatrix Potter: The Complete Tales (selections)

The Random house Book of Nursery Stories (selections)

The Apple and the Arrow

The Random House Book of Fairy Tales (selections)

Winnie-the-Pooh

When We Were Very Young

The House at Pooh Corner

Now We are Six

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

Old Mother West Wind

If I had it to do over, I would have skipped the Liberty math and gone right into BJU Math 1 for K. I love, love, love the Horizons Reading program! :001_smile:

Both of my sons have used Sonlight Core K (now called C) plus Sonlight Science for their K year. Both of them used Handwriting Without Tears K book, Explode the Code Book 1, and Phonics Pathways. Both of them enjoyed using the Bob Books. My current Ker has liked Happy Phonics. My oldest son used the Singapore Earlybird books for math for K. My current Ker has been using MathUSee Primer. Both of them used some of MFW K but I didn't finish it with either of them. I prefer Sonlight for K. MFW for First.

We use HOP for reading (which I can never say too many good things about), practice writing on worksheets I make and ABeka Number Skills K. I also plan on reading her a science book a few times a week from the Let's Read and Find-Out Science series that we just discovered. Please my dd loves geography and never misses that subject when her older sister is doing it.

My focus is on reading in K. I hope this helps.

Marsha SC