Menu

Visual-Spatial issues ??

I think my son has major visual-spatial and related issues. He's not at all logical/sequential either. I'm looking for things to work with him in these areas? Is there hope to improve?

He's very resistant to games like Rush Hour or Mighty Mind or even puzzles. Even games like Sequence or similar are also resisted. I have recently successfully got him to work with me some on a geoboard and that feels like a major step forward. I think he's made some progress as well which is encouraging. I have to be careful as he's sensitive to feeling competent/being successful. He resists and shuts down if he fears lack of success or finds something hard.

He's highly imaginative, verbal, etc. He's had visual therapy and did have major issues in that area. He was worse than anyone the very experienced optometrist has seen.

He's got a PDD-NOS diagnosis. The more I read about NVLD the more I think that is the most appropriate diagnosis for him.

We absolutely can't afford testing right now though I know it would be helpful. But I'd rather try to work on areas rather than wait until we can afford formal testing.

Edited by sbgrace

Our son also has visual-spatial issues, and we are looking for a visual therapist at the moment. We have found a resource to help us in the meantime.

We have started him on some exercises found in "Disconnected Kids" and we can already see a difference. This book has great information, a self-assessment that you can do at home, and specific exercises to target the weak areas. And it is free!! It is written by Robert Melillo, I think. I have read so many books on this subject and have found this one to be the most informative and helpful for us. Hope this can help you,

Betsey

I ordered this book at the advice of someone from Rainbow Resources. My ten year old is not on the spectrum, but she does have visual spatial issues. The book is a "connect-the-dots" version of technical drawing. My daughter seems to enjoy it.

https://host.rainbowresource.com/product/Complete-A-Sketch+Vision-Dexterity-Focus/021282/1277867728-774608

Also, I think horseback riding has helped her, since she has to memorize patterns and ride to different lettered points in the barn. My other daughter, who was diagnosed PDD-NOS/Selective Mutism, has derived huge benefits from horseback riding ranging from social to increased bladder control.

Andrea

I think my son has major visual-spatial and related issues. He's not at all logical/sequential either. I'm looking for things to work with him in these areas? Is there hope to improve?

He's very resistant to games like Rush Hour or Mighty Mind or even puzzles. Even games like Sequence or similar are also resisted. I have recently successfully got him to work with me some on a geoboard and that feels like a major step forward. I think he's made some progress as well which is encouraging. I have to be careful as he's sensitive to feeling competent/being successful. He resists and shuts down if he fears lack of success or finds something hard.

Sounds just like my 14 yo dd, who has a diagnosis of NVLD and Aspergers. We make a lot of lists to help with everything from her morning routine of getting ready for the day to writing papers and doing math problems. She even writes her own lists when she finds something that works. We type them up and put them in a folder. I recently read on an NVLD message board that some people have found an iTouch to be helpful for keeping lists handy for their teens.

I'd love to hear strategies for improving visual-spatial skills, too. Dd has never liked puzzles or similar activities. Typically people with NVLD have excellent verbal skills. We've found that she can do math problems more easily if she reads them aloud or if I read them to her. It also helps her to talk through the problems.

How old is your son, and how is his handwriting? I've found keyboarding to be a huge help for dd. Her writing is sloppy, and her hand tires easily. She used to dislike writing because of this, but now she types everything and she loves to write. She does frequently need organizational help with her papers. She particularly likes the WriteSource grade level books because they give very clear, step-by-step instructions and examples for every kind of paper/paragraph.