Menu

Food allergies/celiac cause body odor and bad breath - anyone heard this?

I have a family member that suffers from bad breath & body odor even though hygiene is not an issue. The doctor & dentist dismissed the concern saying it's normal but the body odor is "different" from typical man/teenage boy odor. Stronger. Anyway, a friend just mentioned that it could indicate food allergies and/or celiac.

I'm gluten-intolerant so I find this a bit concerning. Giving up gluten is obviously very difficult but especially if the person is not certain that it's the cause. Google is not much help on this subject so I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have any thoughts?

• Thanks 1

That has been the case in our house. I can "smell" when my youngest is developing a new allergy. Her breath smells really bad (and she talks in her sleep) and then it leads to diarrhea and stomach pain. I get body odor if I eat certain foods. My son used to have bad odors coming from him but we removed alot of foods and now he smells great. :)

my son's breath would knock you off your feet. We would even try to hide our gags as it was that bad sometimes. The dentist suggested allergy shots and no change ever though the allergy problems cleared up. 2 months gluten free and that disappeared. We rarely smell bad breath beyond "morning breath" before he brushes. And that isn't bad.

I notice a strange scent if I have gluten.

• Thanks 1