Menu

medical-grade skin care

Ok, I've discovered that in order to have healthy, glowing skin, I need to use medical grade skin care products. I started using Aloette in March, and my skin looks and feels healthier than it ever has. I've used Mary Kay, Arbonne, and ProActiv* in the past and they don't come close to these Aloette products. BUT, I've been feeling guilty about the amount of money I've spent and hoping to find cheaper alternatives. However, after some internet sleuthing, Aloette is starting to look pretty reasonable. Some other medical-grade skin care brands are SkinCeuticals, Glytone, and ObagiC, and they all seem to be at least as expensive than Aloette, if not more.

If you know of any cheaper medical grade skin care products that work, will you post the brand? I am coming to the conclusion that since my skin is actually healthier, not just looking better because I'm covering it up, I should not feel guilty about the cost. But hey, I'm a mom, I'm supposed to feel guilty about spending money on myself, right? :tongue_smilie:

* (ProActiv did its job and got rid of my acne, which didn't come back even after I stopped using it. But it didn't change the irritated redness that I am prone to.)

Edited by LizzyBee

Have you read "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter without me" by Paula Begoun? If you want to see which less expensive cosmetics are the best, and what each of them do chemically, this is the book to get.

I have, and I get her emails, too. :)

Do you think the redness is rosacea? I've been reading about this lately, and I think I may have it, too. They say it comes on between 30 and 50, and never really goes away. Just fyi . . .

Yes, it is. I have prescription medicine for it, but my face was still pretty red until I started using Aloette skin care. But it's probably because of the rosacea that cheaper products don't work for me. The base ingredient of Aloette products is medical grade aloe vera, which of course has healing properties.