Menu

Gluten-free cooks: Banana bread recipe? And I need a pizza dough tutorial

I'm not seeing any banana bread recipes that sound good to me, and it's one of the things I miss the most about GF baking. I'm looking for a recipe that specifies the flours needed (rather than just listing "2 cups of your favorite GF flour blend"). And if it includes chocolate chips, so much the better! :lol:

Also, can someone handhold me through the process of making pizza dough? Does it end up as a pourable batter, or as a pliable dough? Can I use a pizza stone that is flat and has no sides, or will it flow over the edges? Help!!! :confused: The kids have been begging me for pizza and I've been too intimidated to try. I'll buy a new stone if I have to, but if I don't have to, that would be great.

TIA!

Honestly, I use my favorite recipe and convert everything :) It is one to one ratio for flour and then just remeber to increase your baking soda and/or baking powder by 50%. Also rember to add 1 to 1 1/2tsp of either guar gum or xanthum gum per cup of flour-if your GF flour does not already have it in.

For pizza dough, can't help there because we buy the frozen Kinnicinnik pizza dough :D After literally YEARS of trying to find SOMETHING that was edible, we gave up on making our own.

This is a fairly thin crust that I have made several times.

2 1/2 cups rice flour

1 pkg yeast

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

3 tbs oil

1 1/2 cups warm water (for activating yeast)

1 tbs honey

Combine flour, yeast, salt and xanthan gum in large bowl. Stir in 1 cup of the water, olive oil, and honey. Use your hands to work the dough, it will be soft and crumbly. Add just enough water to hold mixture together. Knead dough for about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Lightly grease a pizza pan. The recipe call for a 12" round pan, but I have used a rectangular cookie sheet. Put the dough on the pan and roll it out. I usually use some saran wrap so that it doesn't stick to the rolling pin. Bake it for about 10 minutes before putting the toppings on, add toppings and bake for about another 15 minutes. Oven temp should be 425.

The gluten free gourmet has some books that have other pizza recipes in them. My copies of this are in storage right now, but they are pretty good and spell out flour mixtures to use.

This was a recipe for zucchini bread that I converted into banana bread.

2/3 cup white rice flour

2/3 cup sweet rice flour

1/2 cup potato starch

3 1/2 tbs tapioca starch

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1/8 tsp salt

1 stick real butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

3 mashed bananas

Vanilla

Cinnamon

Walnut (optional)

1 cup Blueberries (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and dust with rice flour. Mix together flours, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt. Set aside. Cream butter until white. Add sugar and beat until fluffly, about 5 minutes. Add the egg cinnamon and vanilla and briefly beat until well mixed. Stir in the bananas, walnuts, and blueberries. Bake 1 hr 15 minutes.

I don't see why you couldn't put chocolate chips in this recipe. I'd try it in a heartbeat.

I tend to shy away from GF baking because it is so unforgiving. However, I do make GF pizza sometimes. I use the Gluten-Free Pantry Pizza and Breadstick mix. It is pretty good, but the dough will be very sticky to work with. Do not use a pizza stone if you have ever used it for gluten-containing foods or it will contaminate your pizza.

I bought banana nut bread at Whole Foods a little ways back and it was soooo good. It was their brand that the keep in the freezer section. Dd did not like it with nuts, so we haven't bought it recently.

• 2 weeks later...