Menu

Weird Traveling Rash

Dd8 has had this weird traveling rash - white circles surrounded by redness. It is really itchy. It started on one ankle. I had her put on Goldbond ointment, it got better. It appeared on the other shin - went away after a time with Goldbond. Now it is all over her stomach and chest. It isn't going away as quickly with the Goldbond but it does seem to respond. Now I see it is traveling to her back and there is a patch behind the knee of one leg. . . Any ideas?

P.S. Dd8 has had a virus. She is not on prescription meds. She's been taking guaiafenisen, elderberry extract and high doses of vitamin C. She has had trouble with eczema in the past but this is not eczema.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

circles are basically millimeter in diameter. They are slightly raised but flat across the top (not rounded).

Not ringworm likely hives or fifths disease rash. Darn viruses they are so tricky. Just when they might be gone ....then they sock you all over again. Be sure she is not reacting to her meds. That would be awful.

Dd8 has had this weird traveling rash - white circles surrounded by redness. It is really itchy. It started on one ankle. I had her put on Goldbond ointment, it got better. It appeared on the other shin - went away after a time with Goldbond. Now it is all over her stomach and chest. It isn't going away as quickly with the Goldbond but it does seem to respond. Now I see it is traveling to her back and there is a patch behind the knee of one leg. . . Any ideas?

P.S. Dd8 has had a virus. She is not on prescription meds. She's been taking guaiafenisen, elderberry extract and high doses of vitamin C. She has had trouble with eczema in the past but this is not eczema.

Vitiligo? That sounds like how my daughter's started when she was younger.

ETA: Also wonder about a fungal infection. I think you should make a trip to the dermatologist to know for sure.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

After googling and looking at pictures of all the suggestions so far, I'm thinking it might be hives. I'm going to go buy some benadryl.

I just reread your OP and hives makes sense. My kids commonly get hives after viruses. Glad it wasn't anything serious.

Barb

I just reread your OP and hives makes sense. My kids commonly get hives after viruses. Glad it wasn't anything serious.

Barb

Yes. That and when it started, she had come outside where I was mowing the lawn. Dh (an RN) has come home from work and says that it definitely looks like hives. Fortunately it is responding to our treatment.