Menu

really would love to read a great Godly parenting book...

Hello,

My 11 year old is driving me crazy. He talks back, laughs at his mother or sister when she is crying of upset, when he is given a consequence that happened because of something he did or said that was not acceptable, he screams and whines. I would love to be able to read a great Godly parenting book that shows me also how to control my screaming, which I do not like to do but at times happens when I am have been pushed to the limit. Also a book that can help me to help my son from getting angry and know that part of life everyone has rules to follow and when they are not followed there may be some consequences and how to realize that we can avoid being upset if we learn to follow the rules and respect others. I will be homeschooling him for the first time a full year starting September and would love to be able to have a good Godly way of disciplining should issues arise while homeschooling which I am sure if natural. Sorry for the long email but really desperate to read a Great Godly parenting book.

thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice and looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Lilly

:001_smile::001_smile:

2 books-

Creative Correction for the practical side of things. http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Correction-Lisa-Whelchel/dp/1589971280/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277677257&sr=8-1

You and Your Child by Charles Swindoll (this is out of print but it is an excellent book. Swindoll has a way of getting to the heart of things). http://www.amazon.com/You-Your-Child-Charles-Swindoll/dp/084075616X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277677836&sr=1-3

Edited by coralloyd

We're reading and working through "Shepherding a Child's Heart" and like it so far. It's a biblical approach that works to get to the heart issues that create the unacceptable behavior. The author also does workshops around the country, which we attended locally last year.

http://www.shepherdpress.com/product.php?productid=16134&cat=0&page=1

:iagree::iagree:

Ted Tripp has amazing books and gets to the real issue: the heart.

Hello,

My 11 year old is driving me crazy. He talks back, laughs at his mother or sister when she is crying of upset, when he is given a consequence that happened because of something he did or said that was not acceptable, he screams and whines. I would love to be able to read a great Godly parenting book that shows me also how to control my screaming, which I do not like to do but at times happens when I am have been pushed to the limit. Also a book that can help me to help my son from getting angry and know that part of life everyone has rules to follow and when they are not followed there may be some consequences and how to realize that we can avoid being upset if we learn to follow the rules and respect others. I will be homeschooling him for the first time a full year starting September and would love to be able to have a good Godly way of disciplining should issues arise while homeschooling which I am sure if natural. Sorry for the long email but really desperate to read a Great Godly parenting book.

thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice and looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Lilly

:001_smile::001_smile:

i don't mean to sound flip, but where's dad? it sounds like he needs manly authority and boundaries...boys that age are testing their boundaries with mom and all women, and a man must step in and give the help that the mom needs.

i don't mean to sound flip, but where's dad? it sounds like he needs manly authority and boundaries...boys that age are testing their boundaries with mom and all women, and a man must step in and give the help that the mom needs.

:bigear:

If you have a dad that is willing to do that it is great but........... many homes ours included don't.

I've read many of the books already suggested. They are good. The book that is helping us the most is called "For Instructions in Righteousness" by Pam Forster. It's put out by Doorposts.

Basically is scripture arranged by topic. Within each topic are generic scripture about the topic, stories that illustrate the topic, what scripture says can or should happen to the offender (it also has the authors interpretation of how to apply that in real life), and the blessing that occur if you resist temptation.

What it's done for me is to take me out of the equation when the kids do something wrong. It shows the kids that they are sinning against God and what exactly God thinks of the behavior. It also reminds me that they are not sinning against me so I don't get so angry.

For example. Just tonight ds decided to tattle on his brother. So I send ds to the corner for a few minutes while I got my book out and looked at the references. I decided which ones would be best and then got out my bible. I called ds over and we went to Proverbs where I showed him that God says slanderers are fools and how talebearers are like wood to a fire. Then we talked about how the righteous and the upright in heart will dwell with God. He was able to take it to heart b/c it wasn't mommy saying he was misbehaving. Mommy wasn't saying anything. God was!

There was no screaming (from either of us!) and ds is learning to be obedient to God who is always there rather than to mom & dad who are only there sometimes.

It's not a quick fix but I know that this method will yield long term results!

I can't recommend Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids by Scott Turansky enough. Totally changed our house.

I've read most of the books suggested in this thread. Some I don't like *at all*. The above is excellent. Other materials by the same author are good also.

Dr. Ross Cambell has some good (Christian) books, too. He co-authored the Love Languages book for Kids. He has one on anger and one on teens.

I would also suppport the following mentioned in this thread:

Scream Free

Kevin Lehman

Parenting with Love and Logic

(Researching parenting theory, books and ideas is something I've done as a lay-person/parent for 15 years and now as a clinician in training).

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently reading Good and Angry by Scott Turansky. It is a great book and helping alot. Everything in the book is so practical and easy to apply. I will post after I finish the book and apply the approach in the book. thanks and have a blessed day. Lillian

:001_smile:

I also recommend Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp!

Other books that I've found helpful over the years (I have a 10 yr old son) are Boundaries for Kids by Cloud and Townsend and Bringing up Boys by James Dobson.

I just got a book last weekend at the curriculum conference that I've heard good things about, but I haven't started it yet:

Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes...in You and Your Kids! by Turansky and Miller