Menu

Pencil sharpeners

I use the manual one that has a little 'bucket' attached to catch the pencil shavings.

I bought it for maybe $2.00 and have had it for about 3 years. I got it at a Staples back to school sale. I can't find it online, but it is a pink, clear bucket underneath. It is not that big, it could fit in a crayon box and maybe one of those vertical pencil holders that slide out and snaps close.

I love it :)

ETA: http://www.staples.com/Staples-Dual-Dome-Pencil-Sharpener/product_935650?cmArea=SC1:CG11:DP1102:CL110301

It looks somewhat like that, just a little differently shaped but that would work just the same.

Edited by BeatleMania

I went through about 6 different sharpeners before I got sick of this problem. I went to Amazon.com and spent about $25 on this one. I love it. I haven't broken it and since it plugs in I can always find the thing. All the manual ones would be misplaced and the batttery powered one always needed new batteries. I bought it in August of last year and it is still going.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HVPW4/ref=oss_product

We have a manual one attached to the wall in the school room. It is *perfect*, close to my kitchen, lasted longer than the electric and we always know where we can sharpen our pencils!

Us too. We went through a bajillion sharpeners before my husband got us this one at Staples for I think 20 or 25.00 and mounted it on the wall. It's been very reliable. ;)

I love this pencil sharpener from Costco. It has titanium blades.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11229703&whse=BD_827&Ne=5000001%204000000&eCat=BD_827|11111|63670&N=4024393%204294915057&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_827&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=bdoff

130631b.jpg

iPoint

Electric Pencil Sharpener

Assorted Colors

Item # 130631

$21.35

Electric Pencil Sharpener

• Space saving style
  • Assorted colors: Black Cherry, Black, White (delivered color will vary)
  • Each

Features:

• Titanium bonded blades: Using the patented Westcott Titanium bonding process, the blades deliver excellent cutting performance and unparalled longevity before needing replacement
  • Auto sensor shut off: Once the pencil is at the perfect point, the iPoint cuts off power, making sure you get the best result every time
  • Unique design: The iPoint makes an iconic design statement about you and brings a sense of style to your office desk
  • Space saving: With desk space at a premium, the iPoint has a smaller base than any electric sharpener in its class
  • EZ View savings reservoir: Unlike most normal pencil sharpeners, the iPoint allows you to see when you need to empty the shavings reservoir, making sure you get great performance every time

My favorite is the KUM manual sharpener. It has a slot for regular pencils that sharpens long and thin, and one for colored pencils that sharpens short and pointy.

It is the only sharpener I have ever had that doesn't loosen the lead on colored pencils.

You can get them for less than $5 at Hobby Lobby

What do you use for a pencil sharpener? I started off the school year with a battery operated one that lasted 2 months. I want something that lasts. Any recommendations?

This happened to us too.

From eBay, I bought a vintage manual metal sharpener like the kind we had in school. I spent $15 including shipping, so it was cheaper than new. I think it will last. My high school was 50+ years old and I think some of those pencil sharpeners were original to the building.