Menu

Writeshop users!

Love2Smile

I'd like to know if you have used this and how you liked it or not?

How teacher intensive is it.

I may be using it with my 7th grader this Fall. We need to focus on writing in 7th and 8th grade. She is struggling. We have used Wordsmith Apprentice, part of Jump In (she hated it and I felt she was not ready for it) and she came out of public school after 5th grade.

I'd most likely use it alongside LLATL tan this coming year, spreading it out over 7th and 8th grade. How does that sound?

We used Write Shop in 6th-7th-8th grade. You may read my review here. I liked Write Shop especially for the thorough teacher and student materials. My son's writing improved with Write Shop. I am amazed at how much more easily he writes now and how organized his writing is. I think you have a good plan to use it for 7th and 8th grade. It won't be difficult. The first 2 days of the lesson are a bit teacher intensive, but the last 3 days of the lesson are not. We did not do the dictation/narration that they suggest.

It's a lovely program, but was too teacher intensive for my dd & I. This dd, now 15, is only now wanting to learn with people & by being taught. I just sold it, because my second dd doesn't need something like this to help her with her creative writing--she likes Wordsmith Apprentice & has been doing some creative writing with a family friend.

Are you thinking of doing one level per year, or taking 2 years to do one level? Your plan is very doable, and I would suggest in your case to take two years to do the first one.

It's a lovely program, but was too teacher intensive for my dd & I. This dd, now 15, is only now wanting to learn with people & by being taught. I just sold it, because my second dd doesn't need something like this to help her with her creative writing--she likes Wordsmith Apprentice & has been doing some creative writing with a family friend.

Are you thinking of doing one level per year, or taking 2 years to do one level? Your plan is very doable, and I would suggest in your case to take two years to do the first one.

I have WS 1 and plan on using it for my 11 yo dd this fall in 6th grade. We'll take 2 years. That's what intrigues me about this. Multi-grades.

We used Write Shop in 6th-7th-8th grade. You may read my review here. I liked Write Shop especially for the thorough teacher and student materials. My son's writing improved with Write Shop. I am amazed at how much more easily he writes now and how organized his writing is. I think you have a good plan to use it for 7th and 8th grade. It won't be difficult. The first 2 days of the lesson are a bit teacher intensive, but the last 3 days of the lesson are not. We did not do the dictation/narration that they suggest.

How teacher intensive, Sue? Is there a way to adapt it? Is this true for the 2 year program?

I'd like to know if you have used this and how you liked it or not?

How teacher intensive is it.

I may be using it with my 7th grader this Fall. We need to focus on writing in 7th and 8th grade. She is struggling. We have used Wordsmith Apprentice, part of Jump In (she hated it and I felt she was not ready for it) and she came out of public school after 5th grade.

I'd most likely use it alongside LLATL tan this coming year, spreading it out over 7th and 8th grade. How does that sound?

See me notes for Karin and Sue! I will say the teacher at our local co-op/academy used this 2 years ago. We enrolled our dd who was in 4th grade at the time into this Writing class. The teacher who came from a public school background teaching all levels of Language/English used WS! My dd started out not great, as could be expected b/c of what she was not taught up to that point. However, she improved by the end of the year. My dd was in 4th grade....while her work was not that of her 5th grade peers, she worked well for her grade/age. So, I bought it and will use it this fall. I will take 2 years b/c we have our other indepth subjects and I really would like to teach science labs and read living history books in addition to our spine. HTH! Sheryl <><

I'm hoping Sue will see this b/c I'd like to know if it can be adapted so it's not sooo teacher intensive. Perhaps the 2 year program will help.

I'm going to write a syllabus and schedule to follow in a grid format maybe....still thinking through this....to visually be able to quickly identify what is due when and allow "work" time in b/t each goal.

SUE???

I used WS for my 7th grade ds and it worked wonderfully. It provided us with the handholding we needed. Basically, we both needed teacher-intensive because it was the only way this ds would learn to write well. Remember, if the the subject is a difficult one, you must learn to deal with taking an active role. No way out of that! ;)

There is a slight learning curve, but just curl up and read. You'll get more comfortable as the program moves along. The most teacher-intensive part is doing the first, rough copy WITH your ds, on a white board. Sometimes, it is like pulling teeth. Just grit your own; you will get through it. The rest of the program is easy and thorough.

Enjoy.

How teacher intensive, Sue? Is there a way to adapt it? Is this true for the 2 year program?

Here's a bit that I copied out of an earlier threads:

Let me describe how I use Write Shop. Each lesson takes us 2 weeks to cover. I spend some time Sunday night going over the lesson myself so I understand it. Sometimes, I have to read through the lesson more than once.

Week 1

Mon/Wed/Fri - skill builder can be done independently by student + check together

Mon - pre-writing activity (we do this together and it can take up to an hour)

Wed - brainstorm + practice paragraph (ditto)

Fri - brainstorm (at first, we did this together maybe 30min, eventually ds would do it independently and I would look it over maybe 15min) + sloppy copy (ds does independently)

Week 2

Mon - first revision (ds does independently) + teacher edits (15-30min)

Wed - final revision (ds does independently) + teacher evaluation (15-30min)

Now that I read a few of the earlier posts, I'm a bit confused about intentions. I assumed that if you are going to do Write Shop over 2 years that you would complete Write Shop 1 in the first year and Write Shop 2 in the second year. This is very doable. There are 16 lessons in WS1. Spreading them out over 2 weeks would take 32 weeks. We worked M/W/F the first week and M/W the second week.

It took me a while just to go over the lesson for myself. I am very slow when it comes to teaching writing. Most people won't be as slow as me and will figure out the flow sooner than I did.

Here are a few threads that may be of help as well:

WriteShop so far and other "Teacher Intensive" choices

Writeshop users...scheduling help, please....

HTH!

Here's a bit that I copied out of an earlier threads:

Now that I read a few of the earlier posts, I'm a bit confused about intentions. I assumed that if you are going to do Write Shop over 2 years that you would complete Write Shop 1 in the first year and Write Shop 2 in the second year. This is very doable. There are 16 lessons in WS1. Spreading them out over 2 weeks would take 32 weeks. We worked M/W/F the first week and M/W the second week.

It took me a while just to go over the lesson for myself. I am very slow when it comes to teaching writing. Most people won't be as slow as me and will figure out the flow sooner than I did.

Here are a few threads that may be of help as well:

WriteShop so far and other "Teacher Intensive" choices

Writeshop users...scheduling help, please....

HTH!

OH Sue, Kudos and blessings to you. Really, thank you much. I'm going to copy, print and paste now into my book!!

So, to take 2 years, I would really work mechanics and presentation/style for one paper every month, right? That sounds GREAT to me. I'd rather her write and really learn by editing a few times. Sheryl <><

I used Write Shop with both of my older kids and we LOVED the program. It truly taught them how to write and write well. I thought it was very methodical in its approach and the lessons were fun and engaging. The teacher's manual was easy to understand and I had no problem following and implementing their program. It was a huge hit here and I plan on using it again with my youngest. Two big thumbs up in this house! :thumbup:

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Thanks for all the replies, I am still trying to decide between WriteShop and BJU english/grammar.

I can only afford one program for writing right now, and not sure if BJU 7th grade would teach enough writing. I do want an overall english program that I can use till 12th grade that is why I was looking at BJU

We used Write Shop in 6th-7th-8th grade. You may read my review here.

Sue, in your review you said it was "nearly secular." I'm assuming that means the religious parts are minimal and easily worked around?

This is fast becoming my first choice based on reviews (since SWB's logic book isn't yet available), but we don't want anything that's too religious (no more than CW, for instance). TIA

Sue, in your review you said it was "nearly secular." I'm assuming that means the religious parts are minimal and easily worked around?

This is fast becoming my first choice based on reviews (since SWB's logic book isn't yet available), but we don't want anything that's too religious (no more than CW, for instance). TIA

Every assignment check list has:

Are my choice of topics and choice of words pleasing to the Lord and edifying to others?

They are trying to make the point to be gracious in your writing.

Lesson 15 (1st person POV) has the student tell the story of David and Goliath from their choice of point of view.

Lesson 25 (opinion essay) has 3 example paragraphs about why Christians should read their Bible.

They give more specifics in their FAQ.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Thanks for all the replies, I am still trying to decide between WriteShop and BJU english/grammar.

I can only afford one program for writing right now, and not sure if BJU 7th grade would teach enough writing. I do want an overall english program that I can use till 12th grade that is why I was looking at BJU

One way that Write Shop can be more cost effective:

In the back of the TM, there are specific suggestions for re-using the lessons across the curriculum. So you could go through the program once as is, then repeat as often as you like using topics from whatever lit, history, science, etc. your student is learning with.

If you repeated Write Shop I and II through the high school years with different topics, your student would be extremely well-prepared in English.

According to Write Shop's website, you would need literature study, vocabulary, and grammar for a complete English program. But those subjects are much easier (and cheaper) to find than writing, IMO.