Menu

Scheduling Latin Prep for 10yo

momtolgd

I just got Latin Prep 1 yesterday...and I'm looking at scheduling it for my ds this coming year. He will turn 10 in August.

How do you schedule this? I would like to spend no more than 30 minutes a day for 4 days per week (we have co-op once a week). What would a weekly plan look like?

Thanks. :001_smile:

I'm not sure what you're looking for but I do think it's a good idea to hit on Latin at least 4 days a week. I think 30 minutes is just right, especially at that age. Maybe spend a few minutes reviewing the previous info or chanting the latest verb/noun learned. . . take it slow and get a good foundation. We loved Latin Prep.

I just got Latin Prep 1 yesterday...and I'm looking at scheduling it for my ds this coming year. He will turn 10 in August.

How do you schedule this? I would like to spend no more than 30 minutes a day for 4 days per week (we have co-op once a week). What would a weekly plan look like?

Thanks. :001_smile:

I just had my kids do @an exercise a day. If the ex. were super short, we'd do two.

You could work with him for a few days to figure out the average of how many ex. he can do in 30 minutes, and then make that your expectation.

For us, I matched up the workbook exercises to the main book exercises (there is information in the workbooks linking each exercise to the main book). After we do the stuff in the main book, we do the exercises that match from the workbook.

We are also taking our time going through the book, 2 years to be exact. With the workbook added in, it still worked out to about an exercise a day, though I did split some up over 2 days. We did chapters 1-5 and workbook A last year, and will finish up the books this year. My dd's comprehension is fantastic.

It would depend how many weeks you school.

We keep days short and are alternating chapters in LP1 with another program, but in the end we'll have devoted about 170 days to LP1.

We do one textbook exercise per day (two if one exercise is very short), usually taking two days for the stories: translating, listening to the audio, modeling the pronunciation, answering the questions. This works about to about 140 days. Most exercises are done orally with the exception of writing out declensions and conjugations, English to Latin translations, and translations of the longer stories (using engaging rather than stodgy prose is encouraged). You should be able to zip through the workbook chapters. Since we're alternating with another program, we do a chapter in LP, move to the other program, then do the workbook exercises for the LP chapter previously completed and move on to a new LP chapter. So we use the workbooks for revision and consolidation. Typically we spend 2-3 days on each workbook chapter. If you call it three, that's another 30 days.

One thing I would highly recommend is drilling new vocabulary a chapter ahead, so the student doesn't have to worry about applying new grammatical concepts while using unfamiliar words.

Keep in mind there are ten chapters, so you'll want to get through about a chapter a month. I think you should easily be able to do that (even with the workbook) working steadily for half an hour 4 days a week. I would include making flashcards for the vocabulary at the end of each chapter and reviewing that vocabulary in that time, and also keeping a "Grammar Reference" based on any grammar paradigms learned along the way and reviewing those regularly.

keeping a "Grammar Reference" based on any grammar paradigms learned along the way and reviewing those regularly.
We're lazy and just highlight things we've covered in A Student's Latin Grammar. It makes review for the two programs a cinch.