Menu

MCT

aready

I don't. We just go until it's a good place to stop. Sometimes that is at a natural break like the end of a chapter....other times it's just b/c the kids have gotten unruly other times there was a transition in the middle of a lesson. We did do Practice Island daily, with Poetry and Building Lang on Tues/Thurs and Sentence Island on M/W/F. We did Grammar Island first, as intended, before starting the other books.

I am sure if you do a search you will find plenty of decent responses.

When I did Island level, the general method was to put a bookmark in it.

I know there is a slideshow on the RFWP site, but I have never looked at it.

Island has less obvious "lessons" that the next level. I think that the best way is to not sweat how you schedule a lesson plan, other than that you schedule what book you are using, when. I had to go through both GI and SI more than once at my kids' request. The 5 books will last a full year. Just leave a spot for MCT on your your planner and write in what you did afterwards. You should look through the teacher pages before each "lesson" and see if there is anything you would like to do with what you think you will get to that day.

That is just my opinion and method. Some days you might do 20-40 pages, another day... 2.

I hope someone with a better flair for lesson planning will come and help you out, but I like the pick up and go quality.

I just woke up, and crawled to the computer... need more coffee (always my excuse for babbling);)

I don't. We just go until it's a good place to stop. Sometimes that is at a natural break like the end of a chapter....other times it's just b/c the kids have gotten unruly other times there was a transition in the middle of a lesson. We did do Practice Island daily, with Poetry and Building Lang on Tues/Thurs and Sentence Island on M/W/F. We did Grammar Island first, as intended, before starting the other books.

With the Island level, I did it this way too.

With Voyage level, I started out this way with Grammar Voyage. When we switched to Practice Voyage (100 sentences), Essay Voyage (10 lessons), and Caesar's English II (20 lessons), I made it fit into 20 weeks by doing once sentence per day (Practice), one lesson per two weeks (Essay), and one lesson per week (Caesar). I had to make sure to leave a good amount of time for writing assignments in the essay portion--though when we got behind, I overlapped doing the next lesson with the previous lesson's writing.

With Town next year, I will do it more like I did Voyage.

Thanks for the link! I didn't realize that it was more of a 6-8 weeks kind of book, and then a review book. I guess you just move on to Town after that and finishing the grammar book.

Are you only doing Grammar Island and Practice Island? There are the other books (writing poetry, vocab) that you use to make it a whole year.

Thanks for the link! I didn't realize that it was more of a 6-8 weeks kind of book, and then a review book. I guess you just move on to Town after that and finishing the grammar book.

There's a huge leap between each level - unless you're using Island with a 4th/5th grader that's already a strong writer, I wouldn't rush on to Town.

The Grammar book is the 6-8 week intro, then you're supposed to use the other 4 books for the next 20 weeks or so. If you're just using the Practice book, you should still spread it out over the year while you use something else for Writing, Vocab, Poetry.

Even if you use something else for writing, I have a hard time suggesting to people that they skip the MCT writing books. IMHO the grammar lessons are really reinforced, deepened and extended there. That's really where the nitty gritty is - even if you don't do all the actual writing assignments in that book - you can still apply what's learned to other things you write. There are many additional grammar and punctuation exercises in the writing books.

When I received my Island level books, I looked through everything and copied parts of the appendices that could be used for practice after certain sections of the books. There are very few notes in the books regarding when to pull in a page from an appendix, so I used Post-It flags to match up the appendix pages with the text. I simply put a flag on the text page to remind me to look in my file of practice pages or to check that book's appendix. So far, this system is working really well for us.

We just read each day until we come to a natural stopping point. We end the lesson when the topic changes or when I think my dc might retain more by taking a break until tomorrow.

Lynne

The jump to the Town level is pretty big.

Instead of moving on quickly, I would recommend using Sentence Island also. There is a lot of grammar in it, and some of it is new and necessary for doing the practice book. This is not the case for the other levels.

If you spend 16 weeks on Grammar Island and Sentence Island, you have 20 weeks (100 days) to do Practice Island. This is what I would do. If you spend less time on the first two books, then you don't have to do the practice book daily.

I don't mean to hijack, but I started Island the last couple of months of our 3rd grade year. We finished Grammar Island and moved on the Sentence. We also started BL and MOTH. I figured for 4th grade we would just pick up where we left off. That would probably mean we will finish half way through 4th grade. Should I move on to Town for the second half of 4th, or just review and work on writing until 5th grade. My ds has always been a reluctant writer, but is doing pretty well with the writing assignments in SI (and by "well" I mean that he doesn't complain ENDLESSLY and comes out with a pretty decent product). Thoughts? Advice?

I don't mean to hijack, but I started Island the last couple of months of our 3rd grade year. We finished Grammar Island and moved on the Sentence. We also started BL and MOTH. I figured for 4th grade we would just pick up where we left off. That would probably mean we will finish half way through 4th grade. Should I move on to Town for the second half of 4th, or just review and work on writing until 5th grade. My ds has always been a reluctant writer, but is doing pretty well with the writing assignments in SI (and by "well" I mean that he doesn't complain ENDLESSLY and comes out with a pretty decent product). Thoughts? Advice?

Move on when you complete Island. Don't wait for an arbitrary "year/grade".

:D

Putting in a shameless plug for my favorite program to alternate with the levels of MCT- the books by Don Killgallon :D They provide additional practice with phrases & clauses, which are the trickiest concepts covered in MCT's grammar books (at least at the elementary level). The Killgallon books are approximately a semester long if the student does a section every day (about 1/2 page to about 1 1/2 pages).

Actually as someone recommended to me, and I apologize to that person b/c I always forget her username, there are some terms in Music of the Hemispheres that are useful in Sentence Island. So, after we finished Grammar Island, we did portions of MotH. I think it was similes and metaphors at the end of MotH as well as alliteration, assonance, consonance. So after doing that, we started Sentence Island, Building Language, Practice Island, and continued w/ MotH (I think all that was left was meter and music of language).

Enjoy!