Menu

the progym and the bible?

Guest rubilynne4

Guest rubilynne4

okay, so here's a question for all you experts out there. whenever i do a search for the progym i always get alot of hits relating to the bible. how are the bible and the progym related? in fact several of the major books translations on the progym are put out by the Society for Bilical Literature. Just wondering. :confused:

Edited by rubilynne4
clarification of title

Guest rubilynne4
What is "progym"? I even tried googling that word and it auto-corrects to Pro Gym. Maybe no one knows what you are asking?

Progymnasmata. i apologize, those of us who are somewhat familiar sometimes abbreviate it this way. thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by rubilynne4

I heard people talking about this in church once.

I think Proverbs and Psalms is used sometimes to help teach it?

Sorry, I am not really familiar with it, just restating what I heard.

They also mentioned it was sometimes used because Fables are used to help teach it and since not everyone believes in the bible it is considered a great big fable.

Edited by BeatleMania

http://books.google.com/books?id=7IhAb1ZHfp0C&pg=PA117&lpg=PA117&dq=progymnasmata+and+bible&source=bl&ots=WLuGOPkjRO&sig=kEGYYyWM50c19-qQbL6yKcDGiPM&hl=en&ei=16knTIeVE4aglAfB5s2yAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CDkQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false Here is an entire book on the connection between the the progymnasmata exercises and the Bible . I found that the Classical Writing series by Lene Jacqua is outstanding but far, far too complex to implement as it is written. We used it but totally ignored the grammar insturction as the book suggested for that component has been selected for content rather than clarity of instruction. Just because it is older than the hills does not make it a gem...

Guest rubilynne4
http://books.google.com/books?id=7IhAb1ZHfp0C&pg=PA117&lpg=PA117&dq=progymnasmata+and+bible&source=bl&ots=WLuGOPkjRO&sig=kEGYYyWM50c19-qQbL6yKcDGiPM&hl=en&ei=16knTIeVE4aglAfB5s2yAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CDkQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false Here is an entire book on the connection between the the progymnasmata exercises and the Bible . I found that the Classical Writing series by Lene Jacqua is outstanding but far, far too complex to implement as it is written. We used it but totally ignored the grammar insturction as the book suggested for that component has been selected for content rather than clarity of instruction. Just because it is older than the hills does not make it a gem...

interesting, i will have to check it out in more depth.