Menu

When methods and curriculum collide (HO, MFW, WP)

TechWife

I am having a bit of a collision course in my preparation for 8th grade. It has taken me a long time to figure out that I have been seeking a CM type integration of education. By that I mean history, literature, visual arts and music are intertwined. I have known from the beginning that this is what I wanted to do, but somehow I never found the right track to take to get to the destination. I am now looking at three different history programs and there are things that I like about all three of them.

Am I crazy to try to integrate three programs? Here is what I am looking at and why I like it:

History Odyssey, Modern Times, Level 2: This would continue our chronological history and be our second year with HO. I really like the fact that history TWTM way is laid out in lesson plans and I appreciate the rigor of the program.

My Father's World, 1850 to Modern Times: Adding pieces of this program would help me integrate our Christian faith into our studies. I would not buy the entire program, as some of it overlaps with HO. I also own some of the resources already. I would use the teacher's manual, student sheets (possibly), A Young Person's Guide to Knowing God, Story of the World & Story of the World Activity Book 4 (already own these), Witnesses to All the World, The Last 500 Years, Courage to Run (already own), Corrie ten Boom (already own), Hudson Taylor (already own), Brother Andrew and the Introduction to U.S. Composers materials.

Winter Promise American Culture: Again, I would not purchase the entire program, but only bits and pieces. I would like to get: Mr. Lincoln's High Tech War, Later American Painters Picture Studies, Christian Cultural Values, Sweeping Into the West, 10,000 Days of Thunder, and Lewis Armstrong & The Jazz Age. I would also purchase these resources from Winter Promise that are part of other programs: Dickens: His Works and World (he will be reading some Dickens this year), To Rule the Waves (ds is interested in Military History), What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew (Dickens again) and Cowboys Coffin Makers and Other Jobs (sounds interesting).

I thought I could put the WP resources and the resources from the HO "additional resources" list as well as materials listed in MFW in the book basket. I wouldn't schedule these as assigned reading. I would schedule the Bible study and missionary biographies because there is no Christian component to HO. I would also schedule the composers and the picture studies, as that is another area where HO lacks.

Character wise, my focus will be on developing good habits, perhaps emphasizing time management.

I will also be adding in math, grammar, literary elements and science. We write in every subject, but this year we will emphasize writing different types of essays by using the assignments in HO.

Am I crazy?

Nope. Not crazy :) I'm a tweaker, too.

Hate to bring this up, but have you looked at Tapestry of Grace. It includes church history, art/music appreciation, and is easily adapted using WTM methods (we use the TOG spines, instead of encyclopedias and outline, summarize, according to WTM recs).

Anyways, I think your plan sounds wonderful, just thought I'd mention TOG for you. It might stop the crossover and still accomplish your goals.

I don't think you're crazy, but if you are, so am I.;) This year I'm going to combine Ambleside Online, WP CAW, and Galloping the Globe. I think your plan sounds wonderful.:) It's so cool that we can tweak curriculum and use what works for us. Just another benefit to homeschooling!

Well, put me in the crazy pot too. :tongue_smilie:

There was a parent on these forums about a year or so that suggested a new curriculum (and I'm paraphrasing)... My Father's Tapestry Heart of Winter's Sonlight Promise. You get the idea.

We do something similar to what you're planning. I'll be combining Biblioplan Year 3 that schedules SOTW and A Child's Story of America with a BJU text. We'll add several Sonlight, Queen, and Winter Promise books for reading or reading aloud. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone in that mix, but needless to say, you're not alone!

I am planning out our Ancients now. I am using TOG as our main backbone, MOH as our spine text, and adding science and activities from WP QAW. Oh and I do own the SOTW CD's, so the kid will listen to those as they please. :D

If it works for you, it works. It is just easier for me to modify other things, than to pull it all together myself.

Heather

I don't know, I'm too busy trying to decide if I'm crazy for the hodge-podge eclectic stuff I have planned for this year! I've got MOH & items from SL, TQ, DW, & a few other miscellaneous books. But one thing I HAVE decided is to pick a priority and let some others be "if we have time." Someone else mentioned a book basket and we are going to do something similar too--so if both of my kids don't read the same books, that's ok.

Hope you have a great year!

Merry :-)

I'm just checking in here to hang my hat on the "crazy curriculum tweaker/combiner" rack.

This is my first year to do this officially- usually I try to do a straight up WP program, then add in various other items in particular the other subjects, like science, etc. This year I feel like a one armed juggler. I am going to try to weave my own journey through World History over 2 years using WP's Hideaways, WP's Sea and Sky, and HOD's Preparing. I am only using certain materials from HOD. (actually the deluxe materials and extension package appeal to me more than the actual materials required, LOL). :D

I'm just checking in here to hang my hat on the "crazy curriculum tweaker/combiner" rack.

This is my first year to do this officially- usually I try to do a straight up WP program, then add in various other items in particular the other subjects, like science, etc. This year I feel like a one armed juggler. I am going to try to weave my own journey through World History over 2 years using WP's Hideaways, WP's Sea and Sky, and HOD's Preparing. I am only using certain materials from HOD. (actually the deluxe materials and extension package appeal to me more than the actual materials required, LOL). :D

Just tell me you didn't catch it from me. :eek:

Heather

But one thing I HAVE decided is to pick a priority and let some others be "if we have time."

I am thinking of this, too. For us, it will likely be Bible and science. True confessions - we have never finished a science program & it seems like something we should do before the high school years start.

Hope you have a great year!

Thanks, you too!

This year I feel like a one armed juggler.

This is a great description!

Everyone, you convinced me! I had a tweak free year last year, so I guess I am making up for it this year! I already placed my orders. This should complete this years' purchases. Yeah, they're complete, sure they are...

I am having a bit of a collision course in my preparation for 8th grade. It has taken me a long time to figure out that I have been seeking a CM type integration of education. By that I mean history, literature, visual arts and music are intertwined. I have known from the beginning that this is what I wanted to do, but somehow I never found the right track to take to get to the destination. I am now looking at three different history programs and there are things that I like about all three of them.

Am I crazy to try to integrate three programs? Here is what I am looking at and why I like it:

History Odyssey, Modern Times, Level 2: This would continue our chronological history and be our second year with HO. I really like the fact that history TWTM way is laid out in lesson plans and I appreciate the rigor of the program.

My Father's World, 1850 to Modern Times: Adding pieces of this program would help me integrate our Christian faith into our studies. I would not buy the entire program, as some of it overlaps with HO. I also own some of the resources already. I would use the teacher's manual, student sheets (possibly), A Young Person's Guide to Knowing God, Story of the World & Story of the World Activity Book 4 (already own these), Witnesses to All the World, The Last 500 Years, Courage to Run (already own), Corrie ten Boom (already own), Hudson Taylor (already own), Brother Andrew and the Introduction to U.S. Composers materials.

Winter Promise American Culture: Again, I would not purchase the entire program, but only bits and pieces. I would like to get: Mr. Lincoln's High Tech War, Later American Painters Picture Studies, Christian Cultural Values, Sweeping Into the West, 10,000 Days of Thunder, and Lewis Armstrong & The Jazz Age. I would also purchase these resources from Winter Promise that are part of other programs: Dickens: His Works and World (he will be reading some Dickens this year), To Rule the Waves (ds is interested in Military History), What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew (Dickens again) and Cowboys Coffin Makers and Other Jobs (sounds interesting).

I thought I could put the WP resources and the resources from the HO "additional resources" list as well as materials listed in MFW in the book basket. I wouldn't schedule these as assigned reading. I would schedule the Bible study and missionary biographies because there is no Christian component to HO. I would also schedule the composers and the picture studies, as that is another area where HO lacks.

Character wise, my focus will be on developing good habits, perhaps emphasizing time management.

I will also be adding in math, grammar, literary elements and science. We write in every subject, but this year we will emphasize writing different types of essays by using the assignments in HO.

Am I crazy?

So it sounds to me you're planning on using HO as the main program, but adding extra books from the other two programs? That doesn't sound so crazy. HO really doesn't go overboard with the literature so as long as you cherry pick books from the other two and not use ALL of them, you should not overwhelm your student.

I think it's a great idea! I love Winterpromise's book selections, and have been know to (unofficially) add a few myself. I just give them to my student to read though and never really considered that combining programs. I did do a couple as read-alouds though and discussed some of the others.

my long term plans include using SL along with HO and history portfolio. I think after core 1 ( we already own it) we will drop down to just SL's read alouds and readers along side HO with history portfolio for more notebooking fun. :)

I don't think there is one curriculum I haven't decided to tweak and use as it :lol:

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Last year we did WP/BF/SCM/MBtP ! I am a crazy 5 curriculum tweeker too. :001_smile: Oh, how I wish I could stop at 1 curriculum, especially one with lesson plans. For 5th grade we are doing MOH/VP cards with books/SOTW/ SL Core 6 books too. That's just History!

For 1st grade we are doing CLE/FLL/LBC/LHFHG .:D

Just tell me you didn't catch it from me. :eek:

Heather

Oh absolutely it is your fault. ;) :lol:

Or maybe it is just the consequence of needing to balance the needs of my older learner with those of my younger... remember? That was the cause of your first experience with WP.

Oh absolutely it is your fault. ;) :lol:

Or maybe it is just the consequence of needing to balance the needs of my older learner with those of my younger... remember? That was the cause of your first experience with WP.

Yep, I do. My oldest two still have a huge gap, largely because my oldest is an auditory learner (i.e. does well with traditional learning methods) and my 2nd dd is a hands on/kinesthic learner, despite only being 20 months apart. My younger three do well together because their learning styles are largely the same.

Heather

Everyone, you convinced me! I had a tweak free year last year, so I guess I am making up for it this year! I already placed my orders. This should complete this years' purchases. Yeah, they're complete, sure they are...

LOL, I tweaked for 4 years, and then was tweak-free for 3 years. Loved the first tweak-free year, liked the 2nd, despised the third, so now I'm back to tweaking! We'll see how long it lasts...