Menu

Question for those who have dealt with broken bones - esp. wrist/arm/hand

I broke my wrist Mon. night. The first few days were painful, but the next two or so were not. Well, the dr told me to start using my fingers more b/c they were getting stiff. The minute I did that, my arm became more uncomfortable. It doesn't hurt horribly, but it is definitely molre sore now. Would you consider this "normal" given the injury, time lapsed, and upped finger usage?

TIA:bigear:

Dh says that sounds normal to him. He had soreness in his wrist for a year. If you are uncertain the doctor could check for increased swelling. Dh plays guitar and can't help himself so he was always moving his fingers some. You do need to move them and the pain will decrease in time. A friend of the kids called here after he broke his wrist asking the same question. He really thought it wasn't going to hurt but it did. Sorry about the break! I hope it starts feeling better soon.

If by uncomfortable, you mean sore, especially in your forearms, I would expect that. Movement of your fingers is controlled by extensor and flexor muscles in your forearms. If you havent moved them in a while, you will feel it! Any sharp pains upon movement need to be communicated to your doctor, though.

I broke both my arms near the wrists a few years ago. What you're describing sounds normal to me . . . it just hurt for a really long time. But since I broke them both at the same time, I didn't have the experience of completely not using the broken arm for a few days, so I don't think I ever experienced the cessation of pain you describe.

Anyway, feeling sore when you move your fingers sounds normal! There's a lot of swelling around the tendons and muscles involved in moving your fingers.