Menu

Horsey Moms: I need shoe advice

My dd rides and I help her tack up etc. Last week I had my foot stepped on for the second time in a year. The first time the pony picked his foot up relatively quickly, but I still ended up with a nice bruise on the top of my foot through my Dansko clogs. Last week, I was wearing my Keens and the pony (a different, bigger one) stood there pretty long (at least it seemed like a long time). A freak storm blew in while we were getting ready for a lesson and all the ponys were getting uneasy/scared/etc. with all the wind, thunder, and rattling of the siding and roof of the barn. Anyway, it took about a day or two before I was pretty certain my big toe was not broken and I now sport a violet toe (I really need to get a different shade of nail polish that does not clash with my toe).

So, all that brings me to the question, what footwear should I be wearing to the barn? I feel like the soft sole of the Keens saved my toe from getting broken, since it gave under the weight of the hoof, but I probably should have a bit more protection.

What say y'all? :bigear:

I wear mountain horse paddock boots on riding lesson days and Justin leather barn boots for mucking out. Both seem to give me a fair amount of protection and are comfortable. The Justin's are very soft but the Mountain Horse are probably the best protection from the Friesian - she's a really big horse and slow moving so if she gets on your foot, she won't be getting off in a snappy manner, though she isn't malicious in any way.

My ds's, though they are taking dressage lessons, still prefer cowboy boots. Those are strong enough that they may feel a little pinch from being stepped on but they rarely ever bruise. It's so funny to see them on horseback with riding breeches, English shirts, dressage helmets, and cowboy boots!

Faith

Thanks, Faith. I will check those options. I would love a pair of Justin cowboy boots, in fact I have to buy a new pair for my ballerina dd, but I would hate to wear them to the barn if I got them. I wouldn't want to get them dirty. :D

I can relate to the slow moving horse problem. I guess Peabody just wanted to be close to her "mommy" during the storm and was not in the mood to be pushed aside. :glare:

Bridgette,

My Justins are work boots not cowboy boots. I got them on clearance sale at a Tractor Supply Company for $14.99 - an absolute steel. They are some what soft and might not be as much protection from horse hooves but they do okay. I didn't want to wear my really nice Mountain Horse paddock boots for barn chores. But, if you don't need a work boot, then I can highly recommend the paddock boots. Dover catalog as several brands. Paddock boots just seem to be well made and have a good sturdy toe. Most of them have a smooth bottom and at least a 1/2' heel so they can be worn for riding.

Faith

Well, I'm a bad example on this because I wear tennis shoes to the barn all the time. All the time. I've had my toes broken numerous times. :( So there you go.

There are "muck boots" in all the horse catalogs. I would think that these would protect you. But I would have thought you would have been safe in Danskos.

Invest in steel toed work boots. I usually wore cowboy boots but went with sneakers on occassion. Our horse spooked one day and landed on my right big toe. The toe was shattered and disabled me for a while, including keeping me from playing tennis for 6 months. I will be feeling my mistake for the rest of my life. The good thing is I can tell what the weather is going to be like before I get out of bed. :)

I highly recommend boots.

I love my Justin cowgirl boots. They are worn and horrible looking and I wore them to town yesterday. So there! They are also ancient, and I have no intention of replacing them until they get holey. And then I might just plant flowers in them and put tem in my garden.

I love my Justin cowgirl boots. They are worn and horrible looking and I wore them to town yesterday. So there! They are also ancient, and I have no intention of replacing them until they get holey. And then I might just plant flowers in them and put tem in my garden.

I love the look of a long western fence line with old cowboy boots on the fence posts. We used to do that in CO with our old boots.

Thanks, Ladies. I will check out these recommendations. I would love to find something that won't make my feet hot during the summer. I have duck boots that I wear in the winter, which might explain why I don't seem to have this problem in the winter. :tongue_smilie: Perhaps there are steel toed flip flops out there. :D

Check around Craig's list, Goodwill and tack sales for a nice pair of used cowboy boots. I get mine for $5-10/pair. They are well loved but work great.

If you are going to do any riding yourself, make sure the boots you buy have a smoother bottom and heel for riding.

Please tell me you don't ride in these, right?

Why not? I have something similar that I ride in. The safety problem that comes to my mind is the laces and the not-pointy toe (which could get caught in the stirrup); but given that I often ride in tennis shoes, this clearly is not a big concern to me. Why would you not ride in these?

One word of caution about the steel toed boots. This has not happened to me, but I have *heard* of horses crushing the steel toe right onto the toes... Which means you might not be able to pull your foot back out of the boot.

Now, this could be one of those bizarre old urban legends. Either way, my farrier and vet recommend tough leather shoes/boots when working around horses.

Why not? I have something similar that I ride in. The safety problem that comes to my mind is the laces and the not-pointy toe (which could get caught in the stirrup); but given that I often ride in tennis shoes, this clearly is not a big concern to me. Why would you not ride in these?

I would say the concern with riding in the duck boots is that they have more tread and might not slip out the of the stirrup easily as well as the fact that many don't have a well defineded heel and might slip through the stirrup.

We never ride in tennis shoes either. It is boots or you don't ride here. Even in the winter we have winter riding boots.

I guess they look clunky, or maybe like the foot might stick in your stirrup?? What are the bottoms made of?

One word of caution about the steel toed boots. This has not happened to me, but I have *heard* of horses crushing the steel toe right onto the toes... Which means you might not be able to pull your foot back out of the boot.

Now, this could be one of those bizarre old urban legends. Either way, my farrier and vet recommend tough leather shoes/boots when working around horses.

I had not heard that. Hmm..learn something new all the time.

I've heard that too. Dh warns the boys about their steel toe shoes.