Menu

What are the best options for Pre-Algebra?

Roxy Roller

My DD is going into 6th grade and we are going to finish MUS Zeta, as well as work through LOF Fractions and Decimals and Percents. I am looking ahead to 7th grade and although MUS has served us well, I am feeling the need to possibly look at other options as a main program.

I guess my questions are:

1) What are you using for Pre-Algebra?

2) Is it working? What is working or not working?

dd is a rising 6th grader. She just completed Saxon 7/6. She is now doing Muggins Math Pre-Algebra (cannot say enough about this - we LOVE it)

she will be doing Kinetic pre-algebra - we will likely start at the beginning of August. As we haven't begun yet, I cannot say if it will work, but I don't anticipate issues with it.

HTH

My son is at almost the exact same spot. He is about 2/3 through Zeta and working through LOF Decimals/Percents.

As soon as he finishes Zeta (probably mid-fall) he will start Lial's Basic College Math and LOF Pre-Algebra with Biology. I came to this decision after reading lots of threads here. Lial's consistently gets good reviews.

Good luck!

My oldest did prealgebra at ps.

My middle dd finished Singapore 6B in April of 6th grade. She tried aleks pre-algebra for one month and then worked through Math Smart Junior. After that she started Algebra I with both Kinetic Books and Jacobs. She ended up dropping Jacobs because she liked the presentation in Kinetic Books better.

My youngest hit a brick wall in Singapore again, so we dropped it at the end of 5B. She is working through Key to Fractions, Key to Decimals, and Key to Percents. She finished Fractions last month. I expect her to finish up the Key to series early in the fall. At that point I plan for her to work through Lial's BCM and then to do Kinetic Books pre-algebra. I think she'll actually need both.

My plans are to use Chalk Dust Pre-Algebra (traditional). It's pricey ($325 new), but I need a full-support program for my daughter. She gets pretty testy when sweatin' out a math challenge... I've learned the hard way to keep my distance and not engage.;) Because I'm planning ahead I can keep an eye out for it on the "off season" and get it at a lower price. I've seen it go for $125, used. Teaching Textbooks is not an option here...one of my kids has already used the "tutor" feature as a "cheat" feature. That's all I'm gonna say about that.:glare:

Geo

McDougal Littell Prealgebra here. Love it. Inexpensive if you buy the next-to-last edition. I teach a co-op class, and this is what we'll be using. This is the second child/class I'll be using it with. Lots of flexibility - you can't do everything - there's a good twice as much as you need, so you can tailor the program to the child - do the easier problems, the harder problems, use the extra topics or don't, use the hands-on chapter intro stuff or don't, etc. Love the software that you can get for it - all kinds of worksheets and extra problems, so you can change it up a bit as you go along. A very good intro to algebra program, too. Provides an excellent foundation so the student is prepared for a challenging Algebra class. Very nice teacher's materials - lets me teach the way I want to without having to put it together myself.

My DD is going into 6th grade and we are going to finish MUS Zeta, as well as work through LOF Fractions and Decimals and Percents. I am looking ahead to 7th grade and although MUS has served us well, I am feeling the need to possibly look at other options as a main program.

This is us EXACTLY!! I'm so glad you asked the question. I've not heard of the programs listed above. I look forward to researching them.

How is LoF working for you? Is it a huge hit? If so, I suggest using LoF along with something more traditional. Lial's is well done; we haven't seen the BCM, but have an Algebra book in that group. My eldest didn't do an official pre-Algebra course, but my middle one did a Russian math book from Perpendicular Press after finishing MUS Zeta & SM 6B. We have some LOF books & they are a huge hit here, but we plan to use them with other things that we already have.

We used MUS Pre-Algebra combined with Singpore's CWP 6 in 6th grade. Then, MUS Algebra + LoF Algebra in 7th grade. Then, Foerster's Algebra and Patty Paper Geometry in 8th grade.

If I had to do it all over again, I would use Lial's BCM in 6th and/or 7th along with Singapore's CWP 6 in 6th and Patty Paper Geometry in 7th.

Lial's gets consisently good reviews. MUS Pre-Algebra/Algebra were rather weak. LoF did not mesh with ds's learning style.

My 2c.