Menu

S/O Car seats on a plane--when can you stop bringing them?

By the time we fly in November, my DDs will be 8 and 5 (:scared:). At home, DD7 is in a high-back booster seat, but DD5 is in a Britax Frontier with the 5-point harness. I really, REALLY don't want to bring that thing on the plane. How strong are the recommendations for keeping a 5-year-old in a car seat on a plane? We have borrowed (appropriate) seats waiting for us when we get there.

WWYD?

TIA!

We just flew with our 3 year old and didn't use a seat. In fact, I think the only time we used a seat was ONE time (and we fly a lot) with our oldest when she was a baby. Too much of a hassle for me. There is no requirement so I guess you just have to do what you are comfortable with!

On a plane, carseats are used mostly to keep toddlers and babies attached to their seats. If they are old enough to understand they must stay buckled in and can be trusted not to unbuckle and run around the plane, then they should be old enough to use the lapbelt.

Barb

I have never used a car seat with my dd on a plane and we have been traveling with her since she was 2 months old. I made it very clear to her that she was either going to be in her seat or in my lap during taxi, takeoff, and landing. She is a great (and experienced) traveler though.

I've seen many children on planes standing up or on the floors (mostly younger ones) during landing. If you think that might be your dc then take the seats.

The purpose of a booster seat is primarily to get good placement of the shoulder belt, I believe. Since you only have a lap belt in an airplane, then, I think, you don't need a car seat once the child is out of the 5 point harness. So, around 2 or 3? Personally, I think I stopped using the carseat around 2 yo.