Menu

"What do you use from Queen Homeschool?

Jody

I have used Language Lessons for the Very Young, it was too slow paced for my dd. We are still using Learning to Spell through Copywork. I like it because it based on phonetic rules and the way she grouped the words together makes sense to me. We've also tried A Charlotte Mason Geography, but we stopped after the first few lessons. My dd already knew most of it. For this next year I think we'll keep the Spelling. My dd is going to do The Virtous Girl Bible Study. I'm very excited about this one. And I've been looking at the American History Book, I'm still considering it. Oh, and we've also used some of her copywork books and Pictures In Cursive, but we switched to HwoT.

My DD loves Pictures In Cursive. She already knew her cursive writing when we started using it, so I don't know how good it is for instruction. We just like to keep up the practice and she enjoys the pictures.

We will be using Language Lessons for the Elementary Child starting in the fall, along with DailyGrams and to supplement CC Essentials.

I've used:

Language Lessons for the Elementary Child vol 1 and 2

LL for Secondary Child vol 1 and 2.

I will use LL for the High School vol 1 next year.

Pictures in Cursive books A-F

CopyWork for Girls

Heroic Deeds of American Sailors

Log Cabin Days

Material World

Stories of the Civil War

Learning How to Learn

I've also used LOF but did not purchase from them. I've done 3 bible studies, but I only liked the elementary ones.

I'd love to use Word of the Week, but I haven't figured out how to work that into the budget yet...

I believe you can look at samples of the science they carry on another website. You might try a google search and see what comes up.

Holly,

Would you mind sharing what you thought of the history titles that you used? I'm been looking at these for my 10 and 13yo boys.

I have been wondering about these books as well. I wish I could see a sample of the Log Cabin Days one.

Jan

The readers are nice. The stories are short, but not overly simplified.

I loaned Log Cabin Days out, or I would have given you more from the table of contents. That one covers a broad timeline. There are stories from pre-Revolutionary War all the way up through the westward expansion. When I ordered it, I was thinking it was more "Laura Ingalls timeframe". But there is a story about Caesar Rodney and other revolutionary war figures in there.

The Civil War Stories covers various events that happened during the war:

Firing on Fort Sumter

Battle-Hymn of the Republic

Little Eddie Drummer Boy

Boy's Experience of the battle of Fredericksburg

Destruction of Albemarle

and so on.

It goes a bit past Lee's surrender and talks about Memorial Day. Many of the short stories are experts from larger works. It is very readable.

My girls enjoyed the stories as read alouds. It could be used as a reader for a dc who enjoys reading alone. The books are not big. Civil War Stories is about 170 pages, but again, the book is small - bigger than a trade paperback, but not as big as a hardback. Overall, they are worth the money I think.

I had trouble using Log Cabin Days with my history program because it covered such a large timeline. I bought the sailing book because we enjoyed Carry on Mr. Bowditch so much and dh loves sailor novels. I think he has enjoyed it more than the dc! We did not use the sailing book for "official" reading, more bedtime stories or any other time we wanted a read aloud.

HTH

Language Lessons for Little Ones vol. 3

Language Lessons for the Very Young vols. 1-3

Language Lessons for the Elementary Child

Learning to Spell Through Copywork - books A & B

Copywork for Little Girls

Copywork for Little Boys

Math Facts for Copywork

Learning How to Learn

Manners for Mealtimes

An Honourable Boy (Have but not used)

A Virtuous Girl (Have but not used)

Oakie of the Oak Tree

Books:

The Testimony of Charlie Coulson

My Brother’s Life

Benny, Boy of the Prairie

Rosalie’s Good Shepherd (still to read)

Theras and His Town

A Triumph for Flavius

Tirzah

I, Juan de Pareja

The Door in the Wall

Material World

The Story Book of Science

Parable from Nature

My Nature Journal

Pets in a Jar

:lurk5: I am definitely watching this thread.

I should add that I have used Language Lessons for Little ones Vol. 2 and purchased some living books. SO AWESOME. I plan on ordering a few more things for the fall.

Edited by flobee76

I loaned Log Cabin Days out, or I would have given you more from the table of contents. That one covers a broad timeline. There are stories from pre-Revolutionary War all the way up through the westward expansion. When I ordered it, I was thinking it was more "Laura Ingalls timeframe". But there is a story about Caesar Rodney and other revolutionary war figures in there.

You can view Log Cabin Days on google books. Probably some of the other older titles as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the one we purchased from Queens and to give you an idea visually what it is like inside see here (hit the suprise me line).

The Journal when opened is A4 size (landscape) and there are areas for sketching, or like our camera happy DC likes to do add photos to some of the blank pages provided for 'our' nature studies.

One DC is looking aiming to colouring in all the lovely pencil drawings scattered throughout the book.

It is not just a blank journal to be filled, it has notes, questions and artistic suggestions for personalising the 'art' pages.

There are space to write thoughts, create some poetry etc (these are designated as such).

I think it's a very good initial guide for helping to assist in 'learning to observe to create a nature journal'.

A Dc that is practiced in nature study may find it very limiting.

We're just meandering our way through it and enjoying ourselves.

We've had to personlise some of it to suit our location, we live in the Southern Hemisphere :001_smile:.

And we haven't 'let' the DC draw in the journal until they were able to handle a pencil with a little more skill (postage from the states is too ouch to just let then 'happy scrawl' through books like this).

Before that we provide a seperate spiral bound A4 size art pad for nature drawings :tongue_smilie:

The size makes it easy to 'cart' around, yet on the other hand, for a Dc wanting to sketch bigger/more then the smaller size pages can be limiting.

And while the pages are of thicker quality they are not art stock.

We haven't used the Study Guides to go with the books, we picked the books out as companion reads to go alongside the era of history we were reading about in SOTW, & the others we wanted to enjoy as discussion books for character, vocab, etc..

HTH

Tuesdayschild -

Could you tell us a little about the Nature Journal --its it just a sketch pad?

Also - did you use the Study Guides with the books you read and if so what did you think of them?

Thank you

Edited by tuesdayschild
typo's :/