Menu

What to do for History for my 1st through 8th graders this year..... input?

WaterLily

For my oldest we did Beautiful Feet when he was younger and then we went into a SOTW cycle along with the youngers. We are a few chapters short of finishing up SOTW 4. (I hope we can finish it over the summer...) I feel like we kind of rushed through SOTW 4 b/c I was just determined to try and get through a cycle of history! So now I'm trying to decide if I want to start the cycle over using MOH 1 next year, or if we should do another year focused on American History and then start our cycle over. I wish I had a high school history plan - that would help but I just haven't gotten that far. I don't know if I should follow a 4 year history cycle in high school...

This coming year I have 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 8th graders. If we start our cycle over I'd like to use MOH, like I said. Will that work for all the grades I mentioned? If we do American history, I'm not sure what I'll use. I really like Notgrass for my oldest but it may be too early for that? Maybe I should wait for high school for the Notgrass books? I've looked at Hakim and and I do like Beautiful Feet as well. For my youngers, I don't know what I'd do for American - maybe Beautiful Feet?

I'm starting to feel panicked about this coming year because I have several subjects that I don't have figured out and I feel like I should be scheduling already! Ahhh!

Any help with the history would be much appreciated!

I don't know if you have heard, but Notgrass is coming out with another American history. This American history program will be for 5th-8th graders. If you do a search on the boards you can find a little information about it. Notgrass has said they should have more information in early July.

Jan

I did read that just this week! It sounds wonderful but I'm not sure it will be out in time for me to use it this year? Do you know?

The first thing I need to figure out if is I want to do ancients or American history though....

The e-mail that I got said that they are trying to have it out in time for people to use this fall.

Jan

If you feel that you rushed to much through it last year, then go for it and do another year of American History. It will not hurt anyone. It doesn't say anywhere you have to follow x plan all the time. These are all just guides and not all guides work for everyone.

Now on the other hand if you feel even though it was rushed the point got across and you are comfortable moving on then go back to ancients.

Have you asked your son what he would like to do? That might really help.