Menu

Right Start vs Singapore Early Bird?

NaturalMomma

I have been trying to decide which math curriculum to go with for my Kindergarten son. I have looked at both Right Start, and Singapore. I would really like to hear opinins from others, who may have used both or very familiar with both. He is a pretty advanced four year old and this will be his first year starting any math curriculum.

Thanks!

I have been trying to decide which math curriculum to go with for my Kindergarten son. I have looked at both Right Start, and Singapore. I would really like to hear opinins from others, who may have used both or very familiar with both. He is a pretty advanced four year old and this will be his first year starting any math curriculum.

Thanks!

I love Singapore, but for that age Right Start is the best.

The problem with Singapore is there is a mismatch between what is taught and what is expected of the child. Now I am told the newer version is better, but sill has some lingering problems. The first being it is too easy to not use any manipulatives to teach with, but to allow the picture manipulatives do the work. Not the end of the world but the child would be better off learning to use the manipulatives from day 1, because they will take them away in Primary 1A (not right off, but they do and my oldest two hit a wall and had to take time off of Singapore because of it). There were also places they expected the child to read ordinal numbers and number names. I think that part was corrected, at least I hope so. It is absurd.

RS will build a good foundation working on visualizing numbers, works heavily on place value (more than Singapore) and with lots of games. It is just so much easier to use and more developmentally appropriate.

Heather

I love Singapore, but for that age Right Start is the best.

The problem with Singapore is there is a mismatch between what is taught and what is expected of the child. Now I am told the newer version is better, but sill has some lingering problems. The first being it is too easy to not use any manipulatives to teach with, but to allow the picture manipulatives do the work. Not the end of the world but the child would be better off learning to use the manipulatives from day 1, because they will take them away in Primary 1A (not right off, but they do and my oldest two hit a wall and had to take time off of Singapore because of it). There were also places they expected the child to read ordinal numbers and number names. I think that part was corrected, at least I hope so. It is absurd.

RS will build a good foundation working on visualizing numbers, works heavily on place value (more than Singapore) and with lots of games. It is just so much easier to use and more developmentally appropriate.

Heather

:iagree:

How about both? I think the two actually ccompliment each other very well. Although have you looked into the singapore math essential kindergarten A and B? I actually prefer them to the EB books

http://www.singaporemath.com/Essential_Math_s/138.htm

:iagree:

I vote RightStart... or both! :D

Melissa

The problem with Singapore is there is a mismatch between what is taught and what is expected of the child.

This is exactly it. I've been trying to put my finger on exactly what the problem with PM 1A/B is, and you nailed it. Thank you!